Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-18-2014, 06:48 PM   #1
Danny51
2nd Gear Member

Pros and Cons of Lowering ?

Hey guys,

I've been looking into lowering my E30 for some time now, and will most likely be doing so very soon. I was wondering if you guys can give me a rundown on some of the pros and Cons, its more the Cons I dont know much about. I'm quite the noob when it comes to suspension stuff/lowering so let me know!

Its most likely going to be a 1"-2" drop on Lowering Springs and Aftermarket Shocks/Struts. Its for my DD, not track use

Thanks !
Danny51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:57 AM   #2
nachos23
SweetXi

Send a message via MSN to nachos23
If done correctly, lowering will improve your handling by stiffening springs, improving spring rates and the resulting lower centre of gravity will improve the handling specifically in the corners where it will run flatter with less wheel hop....

The possible cons really come into play when you lower too much. Slammed (significantly lowered) cars suffer from being lowered too much. When a car is lowered too much, the suspension cannot function correctly as there is so little range in the suspension due to the excessive lowering to absorb bumps and sudden changes in the road surface... This excessive lowering will also cause excessive camber causing extremely premature wearing of the inside edge of the tires. When it's lowered too much your putting excessive stress on CV joints, CV boots, and many of the suspension components because they are operating at the edge of their usable range...

The amount you're considering will not harm the car, tires or suspension. It will provide all the positive effects listed without harming the suspension or tires... You will have somewhere about 1.5 additional degrees of additional camber which will help in the corners without causing excessive tire wear (camber cannot be adjusted on the BMWs without camber plates, so the more you lower, the more camber is introduced.... If you want a softer ride, go with Eibach shocks, I personnally wanted a slightly stiffer suspension, so I went Bilstein and H&R. Currently installing H&R Coilovers in my e90 335Xi. Dropped about 1.5" in the front; rears to be installed today once the temp rises....
H&R coilovers
BBS LM wheels
//M sport package
BMW Personal Audio System

2000 Z3M
Conforti tuned
AFE CAI
++More to come this winter

nachos23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:13 PM   #3
Danny51
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachos23 View Post
If done correctly, lowering will improve your handling by stiffening springs, improving spring rates and the resulting lower centre of gravity will improve the handling specifically in the corners where it will run flatter with less wheel hop....

The possible cons really come into play when you lower too much. Slammed (significantly lowered) cars suffer from being lowered too much. When a car is lowered too much, the suspension cannot function correctly as there is so little range in the suspension due to the excessive lowering to absorb bumps and sudden changes in the road surface... This excessive lowering will also cause excessive camber causing extremely premature wearing of the inside edge of the tires. When it's lowered too much your putting excessive stress on CV joints, CV boots, and many of the suspension components because they are operating at the edge of their usable range...

The amount you're considering will not harm the car, tires or suspension. It will provide all the positive effects listed without harming the suspension or tires... You will have somewhere about 1.5 additional degrees of additional camber which will help in the corners without causing excessive tire wear (camber cannot be adjusted on the BMWs without camber plates, so the more you lower, the more camber is introduced.... If you want a softer ride, go with Eibach shocks, I personnally wanted a slightly stiffer suspension, so I went Bilstein and H&R. Currently installing H&R Coilovers in my e90 335Xi. Dropped about 1.5" in the front; rears to be installed today once the temp rises....
All the answers I was looking for ! Thanks !!

My main worry was suspension parts being worn out or excessive tire wear, but if my amount of lowering wont cause those problems then Im definitely going forward with it.

Thanks again
Danny51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:05 PM   #4
1bmw1
3rd Gear Member

You shouldn't have a problem with 1-2" drop. You won't regret it, unless you're driving in a pothole filled area.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:28 PM   #5
nachos23
SweetXi

It will lower your centre of gravity. Add a front strut brace to improve wheel chatter in the corners and you'll be very happy..
H&R coilovers
BBS LM wheels
//M sport package

2000 Z3M
Conforti tuned
AFE CAI

Old 04-22-2014, 01:34 PM   #6
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
You'll never notice a difference with a front strut brace on these cars so don't waste your money.

I'm not sure what "wheel chatter" is but if you're getting some sort of vibration, something is wrong!

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:31 AM   #7
88e30vert
Borderline OCD

Happened to me today, con!

And that happened @ 50kph
88e30vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:47 AM   #8
nachos23
SweetXi

OUCH!

Never had that happen in all my years and km's driving lowered BMWs .... how much was it lowered...

To address the strut bar question.ll It will make a difference in corners especially with these cars adn their strut towers.... Check out the posts in regards to strut tower cracking and separation... These cars are prone to strut tower issues due to excessive flex in the front chassis.... The strut tower in "sharing" cornering loads between both towers, reduces flex in the individual towers and improves cornering by keeping more consistant downforce in corners on the outside wheel....
H&R coilovers
BBS LM wheels
//M sport package

2000 Z3M
Conforti tuned
AFE CAI

Old 04-23-2014, 09:28 AM   #9
88e30vert
Borderline OCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachos23 View Post
OUCH!

Never had that happen in all my years and km's driving lowered BMWs .... how much was it lowered.
Not lowered too much. I was in the middle of doing a lane change and didn't see the 6inch rock on the road, and the oil pan took a direct hit
88e30vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:14 PM   #10
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Bent two wheels yesterday on the Gardiner - pothole

E39 528i Touring - Unicorn Package (5 Spd M)
E39 M5 - for Sunny Days
windwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:57 AM   #11
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
You'll never notice a difference with a front strut brace on these cars so don't waste your money.
It might be less noticeable on an E30 with stock suspension and/or cheap tires.

But with stiff suspension and grippy tires I could feel the difference in chassis flex through hard cornering with and without the shock tower brace.

The chassis on new cars have much better torsional rigidity so it'd probably be less noticeable than with these old rinky dink tin cans we drive

Last edited by Bullet Ride; 04-25-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Bullet Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:59 AM   #12
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
It might be less noticeable on an E30 with stock suspension and/or cheap tires.

But with stiff suspension and grippy tires I could feel the difference in chassis flex through hard cornering with and without the shock tower brace.
Which one do you have? I've always wanted to buy a Sparco brace for mine and modify it to make it a bit stronger.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:01 AM   #13
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
Which one do you have? I've always wanted to buy a Sparco brace for mine and modify it to make it a bit stronger.
I've got the sparco brace.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:56 PM   #14
nachos23
SweetXi

I have the Racing Dynamics brace. Never buy a brace with adjustable links... Full solid braces are the only true braces as they are designed to the exact specifications for the model.
H&R coilovers
BBS LM wheels
//M sport package

2000 Z3M
Conforti tuned
AFE CAI

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: