Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2008, 01:30 PM   #31
JunzieB
Wants more powaaa!
 
JunzieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: B-Town
Posts: 1,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim321go View Post
i would also suggest members to fill up @ Shell cause they have better gas in my opinion. reason for my conclusion : ass dyno + increased mileage when switching from petro
I concur... So far i've gotten nothing but shitty mileage from petro.

The only place i fill up is Shell or Sunoco

I still can't beleiev the numbers that i'm hearing... Mystikal - 800km to a tank???? Damn i'm jealous.

So far, My air filter is new, my fuel filter is new, maybe it's time to change my spark plugs?

What else am i missing? Maybe it's time i got some injector cleaner, that'l give me that extra 150km that i'm missing
__________________


Quote:
Disclaimer:The opinions expressed by JunzieB is his alone and does not reflect the opinions of Maxbimmer or any members thereof. JunzieB is not responsible for any hurt feelings that may develop during the reading of his posts.
JunzieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:35 PM   #32
vadim321go
6th Gear Member
 
vadim321go's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Richmond Hill
Posts: 1,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunzieB View Post
I concur... So far i've gotten nothing but shitty mileage from petro.

The only place i fill up is Shell or Sunoco

I still can't beleiev the numbers that i'm hearing... Mystikal - 800km to a tank???? Damn i'm jealous.

So far, My air filter is new, my fuel filter is new, maybe it's time to change my spark plugs?

What else am i missing? Maybe it's time i got some injector cleaner, that'l give me that extra 150km that i'm missing
if ur going to replace ur sparkplugs, change the boots they sit on as well they only cost like 7 bucks each.
__________________
Proud owner of a 95 325i
vadim321go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:37 PM   #33
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 12,751
It's also my driving style. I'm always really fuel conscious, for example: never, ever accelerating into red lights (I get honked at for that one), constantly driving in 5th, even at 50km/h, maintain air pressures, accelerating gradually, very rarely going over 100km/h on the highway, etc. Just about everything in the motor is new too (plugs, coils, filter, vanos, etc).

Still, my E30 was better on gas, which contradicts the EPA ratings. I got 8.8L/100km average all the time in that car.
__________________

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:43 PM   #34
ShortShifter
Sex Wagon
 
ShortShifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Burlington
Posts: 1,471
I get between 550 -650 of each tank. The worst I have ever got was 525 cause I got caught in some heavy traffic and was rippin if for a while. When I taker nice and easy on the highway up north to the cottage I get around 900 of the tank on 94 octane.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine86 View Post
Do we really need an Ipad???
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Only if you have an iVag.
ShortShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:57 PM   #35
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool
 
Dr. Flyview's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,365
Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
It's also my driving style. I'm always really fuel conscious, for example: never, ever accelerating into red lights (I get honked at for that one), constantly driving in 5th, even at 50km/h, maintain air pressures, accelerating gradually, very rarely going over 100km/h on the highway, etc. Just about everything in the motor is new too (plugs, coils, filter, vanos, etc).

Still, my E30 was better on gas, which contradicts the EPA ratings. I got 8.8L/100km average all the time in that car.
Sounds like me but I only go into 5th above 60, and usually around 70km/h, and only when not much load is needed so I don't stress the motor.

Jay, question: I've got a MarkD chip that's supposed to be tuned for 93 octane. I am currently using Shell 91. I talked to MarkD and he said in the winter the temps were too cold for 91 to cause pinging and hence power loss, but I'm wondering now if I'm loosing performance with Shell 91. I know I have knock sensors and won't actually hear pinging, but is there something I could test with?? other than subjective feeling?
__________________

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:56 PM   #36
JunzieB
Wants more powaaa!
 
JunzieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: B-Town
Posts: 1,461
^^ In regards to what Flav posted as well, how many of you guys have your cars chipped? Does it help your fuel economy much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortShifter View Post
I get between 550 -650 of each tank. The worst I have ever got was 525 cause I got caught in some heavy traffic and was rippin if for a while. When I taker nice and easy on the highway up north to the cottage I get around 900 of the tank on 94 octane.
WHAAAT!!!!! Now i'm definitely getting robbed for fuel... what the hell are you running? You got a geo metro engine under the hood right
__________________


Quote:
Disclaimer:The opinions expressed by JunzieB is his alone and does not reflect the opinions of Maxbimmer or any members thereof. JunzieB is not responsible for any hurt feelings that may develop during the reading of his posts.

Last edited by JunzieB; 06-06-2008 at 03:58 PM.
JunzieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:08 PM   #37
thinair
moderationistismingly
 
thinair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bradford, ON
Posts: 8,790
Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
By car has non-stock software, I noticed an increase in fuel economy once the software was installed. I also have a 3.38 diff though, I didn't really notice much decrease with it installed.
__________________
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:14 PM   #38
ShortShifter
Sex Wagon
 
ShortShifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Burlington
Posts: 1,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunzieB View Post
^^ In regards to what Flav posted as well, how many of you guys have your cars chipped? Does it help your fuel economy much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortShifter
I get between 550 -650 of each tank. The worst I have ever got was 525 cause I got caught in some heavy traffic and was rippin if for a while. When I taker nice and easy on the highway up north to the cottage I get around 900 of the tank on 94 octane.



WHAAAT!!!!! Now i'm definitely getting robbed for fuel... what the hell are you running? You got a geo metro engine under the hood right
Haha its a 318 sedan with a 325 swap. As for all the mods im honestly not sure. I bought it through someone who was selling it for someone who was selling it for someone...what I know is it has magnaflow exhaust with high flow cat. Mark D chip...im guessing a 91 octane chip. 3.15 lsd dif. I dunno my tranny...the rest performance wise is stock. No intake. Also these numbers are with the a/c off. I dunno what the difference would be with it on. It sounds like my car is one of the better for fuel efficency...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine86 View Post
Do we really need an Ipad???
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Only if you have an iVag.
ShortShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:15 PM   #39
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 12,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flav_cool View Post
Jay, question: I've got a MarkD chip that's supposed to be tuned for 93 octane. I am currently using Shell 91. I talked to MarkD and he said in the winter the temps were too cold for 91 to cause pinging and hence power loss, but I'm wondering now if I'm loosing performance with Shell 91. I know I have knock sensors and won't actually hear pinging, but is there something I could test with?? other than subjective feeling?
Yeah you're on the right track, the knock sensors should be backing down the timing before you hear it (especially with just a 2 point difference). Honestly just run the 94 in it. I know Mark's development style and with my E30 the car was almost undriveable with 91 when we were testing it; constant pinging at anything above half throttle.
__________________

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:17 PM   #40
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 12,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunzieB View Post
^^ In regards to what Flav posted as well, how many of you guys have your cars chipped? Does it help your fuel economy much?
All quality chips will increase economy. Part throttle timing advancement does wonders.
__________________

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:25 PM   #41
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool
 
Dr. Flyview's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,365
Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
Yeah you're on the right track, the knock sensors should be backing down the timing before you hear it (especially with just a 2 point difference). Honestly just run the 94 in it. I know Mark's development style and with my E30 the car was almost undriveable with 91 when we were testing it; constant pinging at anything above half throttle.
Ahh crap... Reason I don't wanna run sunoco 94 is cause of the ethanol: so decreased fuel mileage and I think the ethanol might be bad for the fuel lines?? Last I looked, sunoco 94 was the only option of 93 octane gas in GTA.
__________________

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:32 PM   #42
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 12,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flav_cool View Post
Ahh crap... Reason I don't wanna run sunoco 94 is cause of the ethanol: so decreased fuel mileage and I think the ethanol might be bad for the fuel lines?? Last I looked, sunoco 94 was the only option of 93 octane gas in GTA.
The decrease in efficiency with the ethanol will be countered by the advanced timing in the chip. No idea about the fuel lines, but I wouldn't worry about it.
__________________

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:40 PM   #43
JunzieB
Wants more powaaa!
 
JunzieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: B-Town
Posts: 1,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
All quality chips will increase economy. Part throttle timing advancement does wonders.
Sounds like I should treat myself to a shark injector and call it an investment
__________________


Quote:
Disclaimer:The opinions expressed by JunzieB is his alone and does not reflect the opinions of Maxbimmer or any members thereof. JunzieB is not responsible for any hurt feelings that may develop during the reading of his posts.
JunzieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:12 PM   #44
someguy
Singhy
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 771
last year around the same time i did a comparison on gas mileage, and as with this time, I tried to make sure my variables were constant...except for the station I filled up at. The results:
sunoco 94 (well duh) > shell 91 > esso 91 > sunoco 91 > petro canada 91 > olco "supreme"

of course these are not scientifically accurate or anything, but I made the effort, mainly because I was curious, but also because I was bored.
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:05 AM   #45
zackman17
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.C View Post
LOL, yes I do remember that. My girl was bugging me to overtake you and catch up to the lead pack lol. I filled up the day before the cruise and by the time the cruise was done I put about 460k on that tank. I had just little under 15L in my tank on the way home.

lol i didn't know you were flooring it.
yeah man i was pretty much floored i was at 180 ish and my car was really loose
zackman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.