Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-18-2015, 03:15 PM   #1
kevincho
1st Gear Newbie

University Research on used vehicles

Hi guys,

This is my first time here at MaxForums.
I signed up to ask a question to help with my university thesis research...
If you could provide me with your insights, I would really appreciate it.

1. As a seller of used vehicle, would you consider having your car inspected by a mechanic and disclosing that information to potential buyers? (even though this is done by the potential buyers as standard practice?

2. Do you think disclosing this information will help you generate more sales leads?

3. How much would you pay the mechanic to prepare this information?

Thank you

Kevin
kevincho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:34 PM   #2
TSI
Reverse Gear Member

Sure, why not:

1. Yes, depending on the car I'm selling. A daily driver or 'normal' car, yes. A project car, no. I think, however, that I would only do it on request and at the buyer's cost--similar to a PPI.

2. Not really. Seriously interested buyers would be doing a PPI anyways. A decent seller should disclose any issues they are aware of, even with a car listed 'as is'. Failure to do so, in fact, would constitute breach of warranty in some cases. Irrespective of that, as a buyer I would be happier with a stack of maintenance documents than an inspection report from a mechanic I do not know.

3. Depends on the thoroughness of the investigation. Furthermore, an inspection on a 1999 civic will be quicker and cheaper than that of a Lamborghini. I would expect it to be around $80-400, again depending on the car and the level of detail. Again, I expect the buyer would want to do this more than the seller, and specify their own level of thoroughness.
TSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:09 PM   #3
1bmw1
4th Gear Member

Arrow

Nice. What is your thesis topic?

1. Depends. If it was requested of me to do by a potential buyer, then i would. However i would not get an inspection done if it was not asked.

2. No i don't think so. If someone is looking to buy a specific car, then it doesn't matter. They will still contact you sooner or later.

3. Depends on the value of the car. $100-$1000 and the place it's done at.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:37 AM   #4
kevincho
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks for your responses guys

I'm working on writing about dominance of dealerships in the used car market. As a part of it, I'm doing some research on some of the challenges about selling cars privately.
kevincho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 05:26 PM   #5
Lercs
2nd Gear Member

1. no, they won't trust my information anyways, so I wouldn't waste the money
2. no.
3. I wouldn't pay them.

As for the reason that used car dealerships dominate the market, there are two reasons I know of. One: the hassle. When I put a car up for sale I get a gazillion emails offering me next to nothing for my car, and/or trades for things I don't want and it just makes it much more annoying to deal with. Also, I have to constantly be available to show the car, which can be annoying.
two: the fact that I cannot take a trade in. (well I don't usually want to take a trade in) a used car dealership can take your current car off your hands, and I probably wont.

Hope that helps.
Lercs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:25 AM   #6
racingBM
2nd Gear Member

1. If you are talking about Safety Check then yes, if you are talking about regular "inspection" then no, buyer won't trust them. And no I won't bring it to inspect by potential buyer's mechanic, don't waste my time and gas.
2. Not really...
3. Depends on the value of the vehicle I'm selling.
racingBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:02 AM   #7
oize23
1st Gear Newbie

well, this is interestint to read for a potential buyer
oize23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inspection, mechanic, used car, used vehicle

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: