Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-20-2018, 10:07 AM   #1
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

E39 M54B30 engine CCV (general question)

Hi all!

Do you know if the M54B30 engine has an issue with the CCV going bad?

Is the CCV known to go bad and need replacement every certain amount of km's?

I am asking because the CCV on my car was replace in 2012 with the cold weather package CCV, the car then had 150k on it. Now the car has 270k on it and I am just wondering if after 120k the CCV needs to be replaced.

I am trying to rule out (if possible) the CCV as a culprit causing a rough cold start.

Any helpful feedback is much appreciated!
wc123wc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:40 PM   #2
Bimmer Heaven
MaXsponsor

Yes they go bad ALL the time, just a few year life span depending on the brand used. At your millage you should definitely get it done!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E28 E34 E39 E60 E61 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4 F30 F32

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 100+ cars now in stock!
Bimmer Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 12:13 PM   #3
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Thank you! I am looking into having my mechanic look into it and replace it if it's bad.

I live close to work so my drives are short (10-15 minutes) long and in the winter that's a bad thing for the car. And I have a second car I depend on for other longer drives, so I know my E39's CCV is kind of abused with these short drives in the winter. This winter I saw this white foamy substance under the oil cap and on the tip of the dip stick, which can't be good! It went away after I went on a long drive.

Last week I had an oil change and now the car idles much better.

The only thing is that they say bad CCV causes black smoke. My car doesn't have black smoke from the exhaust. Only white smoke and it's gone now after the oil change of last week (I also did an engine oil flush before the oil change, so may be that's why the white smoke is mostly gone now.) But there is no black smoke!
Old 06-14-2018, 06:48 PM   #4
nizoo
2nd Gear Member

whatever you do, DO NOT BUY CHINESE CCV! buy original and keep your eyes open.

I made the mistake of using aftermarket CCV. went bad within 6 month, replaced it under warranty, then went bad after another 6 month.. Told my mechanic to fix the car (had a few other problems), came back and he had already replaced the CCV with yet an another knock off.. which I had to pay for, and only lasted 6 month AGAIN.

the CCV problem gave me a headache, and the worst part is that my car would leak oil because of the CCV.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:41 PM   #5
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

No Chinese mechanical parts for me! I've heard horror stories about Chinese made fuel injectors!

I am thinking of doing the 02Pilot mod...just need some time for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nizoo View Post
whatever you do, DO NOT BUY CHINESE CCV! buy original and keep your eyes open.

I made the mistake of using aftermarket CCV. went bad within 6 month, replaced it under warranty, then went bad after another 6 month.. Told my mechanic to fix the car (had a few other problems), came back and he had already replaced the CCV with yet an another knock off.. which I had to pay for, and only lasted 6 month AGAIN.

the CCV problem gave me a headache, and the worst part is that my car would leak oil because of the CCV.

Tags
e39 m54b30 530i ccv

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: