Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-22-2013, 01:18 AM   #16
Bimmer Heaven
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
Could he be referring to the pt where the air intake attaches to the throttle body? the hose fitting could crack... or maybe the gaskets cracking? If you over torqued the stud bolts you could maybe get a flange crack... or if you dropped it if it was off at some point... but you are right under normal conditions I don't see how the throttle body as a unit could crack either...
Oh I am sure if I drive a 5 ton forklift on it, it will crack!! Or if by throttle body we mean intake boot/rubber gasket/intake manifold/valve cover/maf...sure it can happen!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E28 E24 E34 E39 E60 E61 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z3 Z4 F30 F32 F10 F01

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 100+ cars now in stock!
Bimmer Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:50 AM   #17
BellaSignora
BimmerBitch

I promise to update you all. Thanks again for all your comments and advice.

I have no idea what it could be as the car seems to be running perfect with no noticeable issues. I had a 335i for 4 years and this one seems to run better than that car... damn turbo engines. I guess what I'm saying is that if the light wasn't on I would have no idea that there was a problem. No stalling, no smoke, no weird idling etc.

Anyhow, I'm taking it to my mechanic who is a friend of mine, he also owns a bmw and is going to give me a written print out of what codes are showing.

Thanks for the etest link.. I'll look it up tomorrow when I'm more awake.

Night nite all...
2007 335i Sedan
2005 325 Sedan

BMW lover for Life! [/B][/B][/B]
BellaSignora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:43 AM   #18
BellaSignora
BimmerBitch

Ok so I couldn't sleep.. the suspense was killing me this is what I found.

It was tested in June this year by 'Illusions Automotive" in toronto on three different days all using the OBD. All 3 tests failed with a reason of 'not ready' until it was tested using the 2speed idle tailpipe method, in which it passed.

How could it have passed with the tailpipe test if there was obviously an issue. Should i contact the ministry and report this facility as I feel something fishy is going on..

It obviously has a pre existing condition that was not taken care of. Seems like i have some amunition to bring with me tomorrow when i meet with the dealer.
2007 335i Sedan
2005 325 Sedan

Old 10-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #19
david528
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaSignora View Post
Ok so I couldn't sleep.. the suspense was killing me this is what I found.

It was tested in June this year by 'Illusions Automotive" in toronto on three different days all using the OBD. All 3 tests failed with a reason of 'not ready' until it was tested using the 2speed idle tailpipe method, in which it passed.

How could it have passed with the tailpipe test if there was obviously an issue. Should i contact the ministry and report this facility as I feel something fishy is going on..

It obviously has a pre existing condition that was not taken care of. Seems like i have some amunition to bring with me tomorrow when i meet with the dealer.
There's a loop hole for dealers. Resale cars can do the 2 speed tailpipe dyno test if it fails the OBD test twice but only if the engine light isn't on. But I believe you said earlier that the engine light was off... so they likely reset it for the OBD test (the test requires pictures) and failed twice (or 3 times in your case) then used the loop hole.
david528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #20
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

Quote:
Originally Posted by david528 View Post
.. so they likely reset it for the OBD test (the test requires pictures) and failed twice (or 3 times in your case) then used the loop hole.
this!

and you are now learning about the new emissions test. A car can technically be good out the tailpipe but if the ready monitors for the obd arent ready(which they arent right after a reset) the car will fail the scan method. Also will fail the scan method with (1-2 I forget exactly depending on year) codes.

even though out the tail pipe things are ok.

vice versa...as long as the computer is happy you can have anything coming out the tailpipe these days
cash grab scams yay.

buying a used car from the majority of these shady dealers is a bad idea.

Last edited by SiR; 10-22-2013 at 10:19 AM.
SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #21
BellaSignora
BimmerBitch

So I had my car checked by my mechanic this morning.
Diagnostic showed codes P0444, P0171 &P0174

Any thoughts to what the exact issue is.

It definitely shouldn't have passed emissions.
2007 335i Sedan
2005 325 Sedan

Old 10-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #22
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

P0444
Evaporative Emission System Purge Control Valve Circuit Open

P0171
System Too Lean

P0174
System Too Lean

That's just from a google search - the wrenchers on here will have to let you know that they think...

2007 Z4 3.0si
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #23
jabela
6th Gear Member

P0444 could be a loose gas cap, but it's probably a cracked tube in the whole mess of the CCV/intake system. ALL E46 will experience vacuum leaks/lean codes at some point. It's a big job to replace them all. Took me all day to do it (mostly because updated dipstick tube would NOT seat properly... MF!#@@!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep 3.2TL View Post
P0444
Evaporative Emission System Purge Control Valve Circuit Open

P0171
System Too Lean

P0174
System Too Lean

That's just from a google search - the wrenchers on here will have to let you know that they think...

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.maisonapothecare.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #24
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

may just be a loose clamp too..check for leaks
Old 10-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #25
BellaSignora
BimmerBitch

I'm relieved its not anything more.. and driving wont hurt the engine till i can figure out what part is really affected.

I went back to the dealer today with my knowledge of the failed emissions tests and the codes that were read and on paper by my mechanic. Told them I spoke to OMVIC and they suggested i give him the chance to do something about it before i escalate the shit out of this. He suggested I bring it to his mechanic tomorrow and have him look at it and see what they can to do fix it.

So for now I don't have to go postal on anyone and my car is not in grave danger of dying or causing engine damage in the meantime. I have a feeling I'll get the runaround from him but i'm keeping my fingers crossed for now.

THanks again for all the info and advice.. you guys all rock.
2007 335i Sedan
2005 325 Sedan

Old 10-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #26
jabela
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaSignora View Post
I'm relieved its not anything more.. and driving wont hurt the engine till i can figure out what part is really affected.

I went back to the dealer today with my knowledge of the failed emissions tests and the codes that were read and on paper by my mechanic. Told them I spoke to OMVIC and they suggested i give him the chance to do something about it before i escalate the shit out of this. He suggested I bring it to his mechanic tomorrow and have him look at it and see what they can to do fix it.

So for now I don't have to go postal on anyone and my car is not in grave danger of dying or causing engine damage in the meantime. I have a feeling I'll get the runaround from him but i'm keeping my fingers crossed for now.

THanks again for all the info and advice.. you guys all rock.
Well... you should be okay as long as it isn't too bad, but lean conditions can cause engine knock, which can cause damage to your engine.

Probably ok if you're engine isn't going into limp mode or running rough.

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.maisonapothecare.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #27
damameke
6th Gear Member

Your dealer is working with you through his own mechanic to resolve the 3 issues you have, you have OMVIC to go back to if he gives you the runaround.. just a bit of inconvenience and towards the end, I am sure it will be sorted out..
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #28
aviator
3rd Gear Member

Glad you are getting the issues sorted out... good luck.
aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #29
BellaSignora
BimmerBitch

I will bring it to the dealer tomorrow and see what bullshit he tries to tell me... Lol...

Keeping my fingers crossed.
2007 335i Sedan
2005 325 Sedan

Old 10-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #30
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

so what happened?

2007 Z4 3.0si
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread