Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-20-2011, 10:10 AM   #1
orion's ache
1st Gear Newbie

New Car, Dented Bumper!

Hi all,

I took possession of my new 528xi last Saturday. Today (one week later) I noticed in the light that the rear bumper was dented. It is only noticeable in the light where it becomes obvious that there was an unsuccessful attempt to buff out the scratch (the buff marks are still visible). I have never been rear ended since I've had possession of it. I suspect this dent happened at the dealership given the buff marks. I've advised the dealership by email today, but they are closed until tomorrow. What can I do in a case like this? Ask them to take back the car? (I've put 50 kms on it). I paid full price for the car; I didn't pay a discounted price for a rear ended car! Should I ask them to fix it? But, in that case, I'll be left with a depreciated car! What should I do? This is truly disappointing.
orion's ache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Wait and see what they will say by email. however, I would go in person first thing monday and speak to the sales manager. See what he has to say.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual- Modded
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'91 BMW 850i J Spec-ST Tuning Kit- Lowered-Wokke Chips- Custom Exhaust- 18" MK1's-KN Filters+ M Steering Wheel- Stereo Upgrade +++
'88 BMW 635CSi Lowered
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig WILD RIDE
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:03 AM   #3
orion's ache
1st Gear Newbie

Am I within my rights to request a new car (which is what I paid for)? If they offer to fix it, won't I be left with a car that is depreciated?
Old 11-20-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
ultimateX5
Ally04

Sorry to hear...but How can you prove it happened with them? They're just gonna tell you that you hit it or someone did in a parking lot.

If they didn't tell you upfront or you never saw it...it never happened. You've already taken possession.
10 dodge ram
03 acura mdx
94 dodge ram cummins
00 ford f350
00 dodge dakota
87 e30 325is Mtech
97 e36 328is Mtech'd
98 e39 540iMtech
ultimateX5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:57 AM   #5
orion's ache
1st Gear Newbie

Because if somebody dinged it in a parking lot, they wouldn't take out a buffer and try to buff out the mark. The buff marks are visible. The damage was obviously done at the dealership (perhaps some guy in service) and a real sloppy cover up was undertaken thereafter.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
ultimateX5
Ally04

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion's ache View Post
Because if somebody dinged it in a parking lot, they wouldn't take out a buffer and try to buff out the mark. The buff marks are visible. The damage was obviously done at the dealership (perhaps some guy in service) and a real sloppy cover up was undertaken thereafter.

The dealerships just gonna argue that you tried buffing it.
10 dodge ram
03 acura mdx
94 dodge ram cummins
00 ford f350
00 dodge dakota
87 e30 325is Mtech
97 e36 328is Mtech'd
98 e39 540iMtech
ultimateX5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:24 PM   #7
damameke
6th Gear Member

Bought the car a week ago and now realised there was a dent..
a good dealership will repair the dent (they probably knew about this, just that your keen eyes didnt spot it), you wouldnt get a new replacement. Just document it for resale purpose, provided down the road there is no accident(touch wood)

Yup I would drive over and show them the dent...where did you buy it from?
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:43 PM   #8
pearl_iroc
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
The buff marks are visible. The damage was obviously done at the dealership (perhaps some guy in service) and a real sloppy cover up was undertaken thereafter.
If it was obviously done at the dealership, and a sloppy repair job done, they will argue you should have noticed it upon pick up, and it happened after you took possession. But most likely the will repair the damage, I doubt they will replace the car. If it was damaged at this dealer and they do noting about it, I think it will give you an idea about their honesty when you go in for service in the future. Good luck dude.
pearl_iroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:52 PM   #9
orion's ache
1st Gear Newbie

I bought it at BMW Toronto. I hope you guys are right and they fix it. I'll keep you posted.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:13 PM   #10
BMWdouche
Not Banned... Yet

Quote:
I bought it at BMW Toronto. I hope you guys are right and they fix it. I'll keep you posted.
I've used BMW toronto for a variety of services and 100% of the time the sales people/managers there are stuck up wannabe-big shots who are downright rude if you aren't a wealthy older white male. I highly doubt they'll do anything for you.
BMWdouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:22 PM   #11
damameke
6th Gear Member

This member got his car fixed FOC by BMW Toronto

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146861

gl
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:09 PM   #12
1bmw1
4th Gear Member

I wouldn't worry too much about it. These things unfortunatly do happen in life, and they will most likely give you the benefit of the doubt if there is any and fix it for you. I had a similar incident when i purchased my new E46 back in the day. I got home and noticed a small superficial scratch on the mirror. No questions asked, they buffed it out without question.

Keep us posted!
Old 11-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #13
tonyhavana
2nd Gear Member

I hate to break this to you, but your car depreciated by several thousand dollars the day you drove it off the lot. It must be a very minor dent if you didn't notice it when you bought it.
tonyhavana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:11 PM   #14
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
You took delivery of the car. No one is giving you a new one.

2002 TiAg M3 6mt deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 220M 19's, Michelin Supersports
2006 YZF-R6, bunch of go-fast stuff
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:16 PM   #15
noodles101
ΛΦΕ

they wont give u a new car but they will fix the bumper with all their power , because they dont want u to complain to the general manager of the dealership or anyone higher up.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: