Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #16
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
BBK's are pretty stupid unless your car comes with small shitty brakes or your track your car.

Unless you spend 2-3K on brakes you'll be putting in shittier components than the stock ones you're removing.

Dont do it for looks, your M5 already has big brakes.
I don't agree... Single piston floating calipers are a fail on a high performance car... I never understood why it took BMW until now to put multi-piston fixed calipers on their M cars.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:57 PM   #17
hoseroller74
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks NOTORIOUS VR

Couldn't agree with you more ! Some good info / suggestions on here, but mostly banter. Thanks for the pics of the Audi. I was Audi owner for many years, until my very recent purchase of the M5. I wish the folks at Audi could teach the people at BMW how to build an interior / cockpit.....certainly this comment will pi$$ off a few bimmer fans !

Love the Porsche brakes...looks awesome !
hoseroller74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #18
Banned

Fact is,most people who say they track their BMW never get out of factory brakes limits.
new member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:39 PM   #19
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by new member View Post
Get a brake fluid flush and put new/better pads on. Hawk is one company.

BBK is for looks only, and if you have 8k to throw away on something that only 45 year old BMW fans can appreciate then go ahead and do it. Because we all know that nobody else cares about what your brakes look like.

Get a set of wheels, if you want looks.

But if you still want it the go here.

Front kit is $4500, rear kit is $3200.

http://www.modbargains.com/Brembo-Bi...5-5-Series.htm
That price is $1000 over MSRP for the front. Even cars that do not track come in and order a full stoptech system, it is sometimes more re-assuring than having stock brakes and thinking "I'll never reach that limit", or even with upgraded pads on the stock rotor - not to mention the benefits of better technology. For anyone who has ever priced replacement brakes on an M5 (only the OP from what I see here) you will understand why the OP is considering this (on top of those tech facts). The cost of the rotors on an M5 is 2x what it costs for a non M E46 to change its brakes COMPLETE.

Also these calipers are Monoblock. No solid caliper bushings needed at all. A lot more benefits going to a BBK in the OP's situation other a bigger rotor and pad.

PM sent to the OP.

FYI guys, there ARE local solutions that can compete with US vendors...you just have to ask, in some cases..beat them.

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction

Last edited by Jon@Bimmersport; 11-22-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:49 PM   #20
hoseroller74
1st Gear Newbie

Hey Jon...thx for the PM

solid pricing, and I'm a big fan ST products. I forgot why I left forums years ago....Forums almost work in the same order as brakes do....70% BS and 30% banter...and somewhere in all that you find some solid folks and info !

I'll definitely give you a call when I'm ready.

D
Old 11-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #21
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
^^^ Most OEM setups (on euro cars) can cope with track events quite well if you have the right brake pads for the job and good fluid.
you can say that for majority of makes actually...pads and fluids is the whole thing unless you are seriously under sized...which most "performance" models of whatever car you have arent.

majority of bmw calipers are nothing special as pointed out. just a typical single piston slider set up that you find on everything from kias to whatever else.

bbk is a great upgrade if you are looking for better heat management,pad wear and possible pedal feel difference,reliability etc...plus it looks great.

Last edited by SiR; 11-22-2011 at 04:43 PM.
SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:52 AM   #22
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon@Bimmersport View Post
That price is $1000 over MSRP for the front. Even cars that do not track come in and order a full stoptech system, it is sometimes more re-assuring than having stock brakes and thinking "I'll never reach that limit", or even with upgraded pads on the stock rotor - not to mention the benefits of better technology. For anyone who has ever priced replacement brakes on an M5 (only the OP from what I see here) you will understand why the OP is considering this (on top of those tech facts). The cost of the rotors on an M5 is 2x what it costs for a non M E46 to change its brakes COMPLETE.

Also these calipers are Monoblock. No solid caliper bushings needed at all. A lot more benefits going to a BBK in the OP's situation other a bigger rotor and pad.

PM sent to the OP.

FYI guys, there ARE local solutions that can compete with US vendors...you just have to ask, in some cases..beat them.
If you werent running a business I would call you an idiot,but since you are , you're doing a good job trying to bring people in.

99.9% of people who get BBK are rich asian kids whos daddy bought then an E92 M3 and now they wanna show it off in chinatown. Noone gets BBK for their street car thinking its actually gonna help him, come on be real.

You will NEVER reach the limit of stock brakes of a modern BMW on the street , it is simply impossible, nothing to think about here. If you think otherwise, then you should think a bit more about it.

BBK doesnt even make your car stop better or any shorter, it simply allows you to stop consistently lap after lap.

OP,do as you wish.
new member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:40 AM   #23
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR View Post
you can say that for majority of makes actually...pads and fluids is the whole thing unless you are seriously under sized...which most "performance" models of whatever car you have arent.

majority of bmw calipers are nothing special as pointed out. just a typical single piston slider set up that you find on everything from kias to whatever else.

bbk is a great upgrade if you are looking for better heat management,pad wear and possible pedal feel difference,reliability etc...plus it looks great.
You're right... I said euro cars because in general they usually have larger brakes to start with compared to japanese and domestics.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:43 AM   #24
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
You will NEVER reach the limit of stock brakes of a modern BMW on the street , it is simply impossible, nothing to think about here. If you think otherwise, then you should think a bit more about it.
Yes you can.

Quote:
BBK doesnt even make your car stop better or any shorter, it simply allows you to stop consistently lap after lap.

OP,do as you wish.
That's not the only thing it's about.

I don't get why you're so against someone investing in a BBK?

Defiantly by the sounds and wording chosen by your posts you're very, very jealous.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:53 AM   #25
damameke
6th Gear Member

Many people who "can" will just do an application/upgrade even tho it serves no big gain or purpose, simply just for the look..

just because they can... no harm in that...
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:13 AM   #26
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by damameke View Post
Many people who "can" will just do an application/upgrade even tho it serves no big gain or purpose, simply just for the look..

just because they can... no harm in that...

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:21 PM   #27
hoseroller74
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
If you werent running a business I would call you an idiot,but since you are , you're doing a good job trying to bring people in.

99.9% of people who get BBK are rich asian kids whos daddy bought then an E92 M3 and now they wanna show it off in chinatown. Noone gets BBK for their street car thinking its actually gonna help him, come on be real.

OP,do as you wish.
It never fails...a great thread / topic amongst some folks and just like at a bar there is always "that guy"....dude, no need to call anyone an idiot. If you want to voice your opinion please do so. However, as soon as you start to calling other members names it just shows your ignorance !!

Also, and I hate even responding to people like yourself cause it takes away from the intended use of this forum / site.. and to quote you "OP, do as you wish".....really ! Nobody asked for your permission, but we all thank you for allowing us to do so...... !

PS>...I'm going to put 12 pistons up front 8s in the back and only drive the streets of TO... ( I'm a Canadian ) because I can ! Also, the moderator should remove you from this site for making negative / racial references...this is the reason why, I stopped using sites like this...cause of ignorant people like yourself.

If I have offended anyone in my reply...I sincerely apologize !

D
Old 11-23-2011, 07:24 PM   #28
dbworld4k

"new member" has a decrepit tendency to act extremely juvenile in his response. The ignore button is bliss

edit: NVM, he got the ban hammer. Problem solved

dbworld4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:00 PM   #29
hoseroller74
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
"new member" has a decrepit tendency to act extremely juvenile in his response. The ignore button is bliss

edit: NVM, he got the ban hammer. Problem solved
I could use that "ignore" button a few other places in my life....lol

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: