Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > X series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-05-2017, 08:59 PM   #1
dainfamous41
1st Gear Newbie

2018 BMW X1 - Need Advice

018 BMW X1

I'm thinking about getting the 2018 BMW X1. I have never bought a new car before, so I have a few questions below on this particular car and the overall process:

1. Lease or Finance? - My driving habits on a typical business day is about 14 km a day (i.e. to the Go Train station and back) and about 100-150 km average on weekend. I think yearly I should be fine for about 16000km. Therefore, I am leaning towards leasing for 3 years lease but was wondering:

A) Should I do less than 3 years? I don't want to be on the hook for brakes and tires, so I figured 3 years will finish the lease at ~48000km which should be before brakes and tires need to be changed.
B) Does it make sense to put a down payment on a lease?
C) Does BMW ever go lower than then the 2.9% leasing or 1.9% financing interest rate? Is there any specials during the holidays?
D) Does it make sense to takeover a lease for an older model (ex. 2017 BMW X1)?
E) If I were to finance, the advantage is I would get to own it, however I have heard maintenance, repair and part costs for BMW become very high as the vehicle ages. Is this true? Does it make sense to finance an older 2017 or 2016 BMW X1?
F) Is the electrical car boom on the verge or just not yet? I was thinking by the time 2020 comes around, I can finish the 3 year lease and buy an electrical car then. This would factor into my decision of not to finance the car.

2. I have been to Parkview and BMW Toronto (downtown) and test driven the car at both locations and received quotes. What is the best BMW dealer in GTA to get the best deal from?

3. For the 4 year/80k standard maintenance BMW offers, is there anything that BMW does not cover?

4. I find all the options the dealers throws into the quote a bit confusing. Is the Freight, PDI and Admin Fees negotiable? They seem to be up to dealer, without any reasoning on how they arrive at the values presented.

5. Is the Premium Package Enhanced is it worth it? I kind of like the idea of having a touchscreen in the car, however it is more pricier between the enhanced and essential just to get the touchscreen. Does anyone have any feedback on BMW's touchscreen or any other options strongly recommended? Is the excess wear and tear option recommended if leasing?

6. Is a Demo/floor model at 1000km worth it, if I can save the Freight, PDI costs?

7. What is the best way to negotiate price with the dealer? Per Unhaggle the following info is:

Base MSRP: $40,300
Invoice Price: $37,480

What are the next steps? Do I just tell them I want to pay a few hundred more than the invoice price and see if they agree?

Thanks!
dainfamous41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:39 PM   #2
Trekz
4th Gear Member

Honestly BMW x1 is just a glorified mini built in same platform as mini countryman. Has a transverse engine mounting and pretty much fwd. I would not even consider x1 a real BMW, and would recommend looking at the x3, wait untill you see the new x3. http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...review-un-bmw/

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Trekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:48 PM   #3
dainfamous41
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekz View Post
Honestly BMW x1 is just a glorified mini built in same platform as mini countryman. Has a transverse engine mounting and pretty much fwd. I would not even consider x1 a real BMW, and would recommend looking at the x3, wait untill you see the new x3. http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...review-un-bmw/

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
It's for my spouse. She wants a small SUV...
Old 11-06-2017, 12:59 AM   #4
Bimmer Heaven
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dainfamous41 View Post
Calling the X1 an SUV is just wrong!!!...lol
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E28 E24 E34 E39 E60 E61 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z3 Z4 F30 F32 F10 F01

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 100+ cars now in stock!
Bimmer Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:57 PM   #5
dainfamous41
1st Gear Newbie

Any help to my questions?
Old 11-07-2017, 12:14 AM   #6
dbworld4k

We have a 2016 X1 (first year of the current generation model) in the family (its my mother's) and we absolutely love everything about it. There's a reason it got glowing reviews by almost all the major automotive journalists.

I don't care if it's a Mini underneath because it actually works:
  • it drives eons better than the preceding E84 version. The steering is much better than any F30 3 series I've ever driven; the brakes are fantastic; the ride is very sporty (this might be an issue for some) with firm shocks and you feel the imperfections in the road through the chassis - more than you'd expect for an entry level SUV. It's rather on the aggressive side when it comes to driving dynamics, but put it in Eco mode and it'll just chug along in your daily commute.
  • it has a torquey, small engine with great fuel economy. Ours averages 9.0L/100KM while driven 95% in the city. It also runs on 89 Octane minimum if you wish, not just 91.
  • it's actually rather fun to toss around into turns and highway ramps, it genuinely likes to be driven hard sometimes. This must be the Mini platform shining through.
  • it can be loaded with tech that was once reserved for much higher end BMWs.
  • rear seating room is rather plentiful, especially with the adjustable rear seats.

Honestly, I think it's the best new car BMW makes right now in terms of a daily driver/grocery getter. It's affordable, fuel efficient, has enough power, comes with great modern features, and is genuinely enjoyable to drive.

We will absolutely be buying ours out at the end of the term. This is the first vehicle we got for her that we will be keeping. All the others were turned back at the end of their 4 year terms. That should tell you something

Now, for your questions:

1A) Depends on your long term plans. Keeping it beyond the term? Finance it. Definitely making a switch in 3 years? Lease.
1B) Doing basic maintenance such as a brake job on a car should be the least important factor for your term. That's such a frivolous thing to base this decision on...
1C) Depends on how much. Usually, no. It's money gone forever. A lease is basically renting the car, you don't want to put equity up front into a car rental.
1D) If the numbers make sense, sure.
1E) For such a simple/Mini based platform as this, long term maintenance should be not be anything to be scared about. The B48 engines are doing well so far, but they haven't been around long enough to determine what costly failures can happen. They're MUCH better than the scrapheap N20 engines in the previous generation X1/F30 3 series though.
1F) Electric cars are probably at least 5-7 years away from becoming anything resembling mainstream.

2) Shop around. There is no simple answer as to who will give you the lowest price. That's on your negotiation skills.

3) https://www.bmw.ca/en/topics/owners/...intenance.html

4) You can sometimes negotiate Freight/PDI/admin fees. Again, it's up to you and the seller to see what they'll work with.

5) I have no experience with the latest iDrive 6.0 touchscreen. Our standard version works fine on a daily basis. We love it.

6) Absolutely - that's what we did. Saved several thousand dollars vs. ordering new.

7) 3%-5% off MSRP is usually a good deal. Anything more is exceptional.

A few hundred over invoice will almost get you nowhere. The dealer has to make money and pay various staff involved, too.

Have you test driven one yet?

Last edited by dbworld4k; 11-07-2017 at 12:20 AM.
dbworld4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:48 AM   #7
South
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dainfamous41 View Post
Hey
I think she'll get a 'SUV kitted' mini, if you go with the x1. So for her a nissan, like a juke could fit her bill. Cheaper maintenance too.
97 540i6 ACS - 2016-present
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:51 AM   #8
Bimmer Heaven
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
We have a 2016 X1 in the family (its my mother's) and we absolutely love everything about it. There's a reason it got glowing reviews by almost all the major automotive journalists.

• it drives eons better than the preceding E84 version. The steering is much better than any F30 3 series I've ever driven; the brakes are fantastic; the ride is very sporty (this might be an issue for some) with firm shocks and you feel the imperfections in the road through the chassis - more than you'd expect for an entry level SUV. It's rather on the aggressive side when it comes to driving dynamics, but put it in Eco mode and it'll just chug along in your daily commute.
  • it has a torquey, small engine with great fuel economy. Ours averages 9.0L/100KM while driven 95% in the city. It also runs on 89 Octane minimum if you wish, not just 91.
  • it's actually rather fun to toss around into turns and highway ramps, it genuinely likes to be driven hard sometimes. This must be the Mini platform shining through.
  • rear seating room is rather plentiful, especially with the adjustable rear seats.
Very interesting...After having parted out some 500+ BMW in the last 20 years, I had the opportunity to take a 2015 X1 apart down to its last bolt and nut, and I absolutely hated it...Things did not make sense, no logic, no consistency in the build, definitely no BMW tradition, cheap materials, lousy engineering, and those are just a few of the feelings I get from this car. I can not comment on how it drives, or how it feels on Day to day basis, but mechanically, lets just say you are lucky if you see 100K on that engine! We see more of them self destruct at 70-80K than anything else before....The ONLY way to own this vehicle is lease it and hope it lasts the term, then give it back and let someone else worry about it. (like most modern cars)
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E28 E24 E34 E39 E60 E61 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z3 Z4 F30 F32 F10 F01

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
Old 11-07-2017, 01:00 AM   #9
dbworld4k

You are referring to the E84 generation X1 which was an absolute abomination in every aspect, and completely different in construction, driving - literally everything - compared to the F48 version. The two share nothing in parts.

dbworld4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 01:04 AM   #10
Bimmer Heaven
MaXsponsor

Quote:
You are referring to the E84 generation X1 which was an absolute abomination in every aspect, and completely different in construction, driving - literally everything - compared to the F48 version. The two share nothing in parts.
Ok that makes sense now!!! Glad they got things better! This "thing" was 2 years old and showing spots of rust!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578

Last edited by Bimmer Heaven; 11-07-2017 at 01:08 AM.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:43 PM   #11
dainfamous41
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
We have a 2016 X1 (first year of the current generation model) in the family (its my mother's) and we absolutely love everything about it. There's a reason it got glowing reviews by almost all the major automotive journalists.

Honestly, I think it's the best new car BMW makes right now in terms of a daily driver/grocery getter. It's affordable, fuel efficient, has enough power, comes with great modern features, and is genuinely enjoyable to drive.

We will absolutely be buying ours out at the end of the term. This is the first vehicle we got for her that we will be keeping. All the others were turned back at the end of their 4 year terms. That should tell you something

Now, for your questions:

1A) Depends on your long term plans. Keeping it beyond the term? Finance it. Definitely making a switch in 3 years? Lease.
1B) Doing basic maintenance such as a brake job on a car should be the least important factor for your term. That's such a frivolous thing to base this decision on...
1C) Depends on how much. Usually, no. It's money gone forever. A lease is basically renting the car, you don't want to put equity up front into a car rental.
1D) If the numbers make sense, sure.
1E) For such a simple/Mini based platform as this, long term maintenance should be not be anything to be scared about. The B48 engines are doing well so far, but they haven't been around long enough to determine what costly failures can happen. They're MUCH better than the scrapheap N20 engines in the previous generation X1/F30 3 series though.
1F) Electric cars are probably at least 5-7 years away from becoming anything resembling mainstream.

2) Shop around. There is no simple answer as to who will give you the lowest price. That's on your negotiation skills.

3) https://www.bmw.ca/en/topics/owners/...intenance.html

4) You can sometimes negotiate Freight/PDI/admin fees. Again, it's up to you and the seller to see what they'll work with.

5) I have no experience with the latest iDrive 6.0 touchscreen. Our standard version works fine on a daily basis. We love it.

6) Absolutely - that's what we did. Saved several thousand dollars vs. ordering new.

7) 3%-5% off MSRP is usually a good deal. Anything more is exceptional.

A few hundred over invoice will almost get you nowhere. The dealer has to make money and pay various staff involved, too.

Have you test driven one yet?
Thanks alot for your help. Yes I have test driven one and I like it!
Old 12-03-2017, 11:44 PM   #12
dainfamous41
1st Gear Newbie

My only concern now is that I calculated my annual mileage and its going to be less than 10,000 km per year.

Does it make sense to lease or finance the car in this case? I don't want to hold on to a depreciating asset (i.e. depreciating car more than I am driving it).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: