Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-08-2014, 09:48 AM   #1
gregmiz
1st Gear Newbie

E36 M3 Underbody Plastics Question

Hello all;

New member here.

I have a 98 M3 Convertible that I bought when I lived in California. We came back to Canada, and I brought the car with me. I love the car and its in very good shape, although it has the typical E36 issues.

One current issue is that there is underbody platic pieces under the front bumper and from wheel wells. This plastic also connects to the fog light holders and the air channels beside the fog lights.

The clips or screws that hold these in place seem to be broken and the plastic tend to shift and drop down a bit. Sometime mu right tire even rubs on the plastic.

Anyone know how to fix these? Do they need to be replaced or can they be repaired? Approximate cost to do this?

I am in Etobicoke and if someone can suggest a good, reasonably priced shop I would appreciate it.

Will post pictures once I get a chance.

Thanks in advance for the help!
gregmiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:25 AM   #2
Steve30
Techno Viking

These plastic underpanels are known to break apart. Don't buy new oem peices they will just end up breaking. I ordered the SSI underpanel from bimmerworld. Its strong and gives more clearance than the stock panels. Here's a pic:

You may need new wheel well liners as well depending on the condition.

E36 ///M3 S54
STock 335i "The Punisher"
Steve30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:31 PM   #3
gregmiz
1st Gear Newbie

Steve30 - Thank you for the quick response. By the way, your car looks incredible! I have the same colour and wheels in my cab but mine needs some work before it looks like that!

I looked this up on the Bimmerworld site, and think I found the same thing - its about $119 usd?

I cannot see from the site how the air ducts/fog light frames connect? Also, I could not see where they sell the wheel well covers? Any input on this?

Anyone with a suggested west end Toronto/Mississauga place to install this?

Thanks again for the help!
Old 04-08-2014, 12:37 PM   #4
Steve30
Techno Viking

If you want to save some cash you can check out standard auto wreckers. They usually have a couple E36's there that you can get the brake ducts and foglight brackets from. The wheel liners usually have to be bought brand new and if I remember are a little expensive (around $100 each?). Maybe get a price from Maranello BMW with the maxbimmer discount.

The brake ducts are held with tension between the front bumper and wheel liners. Foglight brackets are held by a couple screws. Its all really simple when you look at it.

just did a quick search online. ECS has them for $50 each http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E36-M3-S52_3.2l/ES127998/

Might be cheaper/same price to get them from Maranello when you factor in shipping/duty.

E36 ///M3 S54

Last edited by Steve30; 04-08-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:27 PM   #5
gregmiz
1st Gear Newbie

Awesome. Thanks.

Also need a new head unit, want aftermarket, any suggestions on that?
Old 04-09-2014, 09:03 AM   #6
Steve30
Techno Viking

Depends what you're looking for. Bluetooth? Customization? I have an Alpine CDA-9835. Its an older alpine unit but one of the best out there in terms of sound quality and tuning capabilities (also can match the BMW amber interior lights perfectly). The newer decks lack a lot of fine tuning.

E36 ///M3 S54
Old 04-09-2014, 09:00 PM   #7
gregmiz
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks again!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: