Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-09-2005, 03:43 PM   #16
RevShoT
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to RevShoT

its near impossible to tell the difference from a 325 to an M3 if the valve cover has been changed only way to see is the casting # on the block and driving it

in response to just putting the M logo cover on the car...
i know a certian member on here the USED to have it on his car... someone who you would never suspect.. but im not telling!
RevShoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 03:45 PM   #17
SkycityBMW
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair
Hold on, are you referring to the actual metal valve cover, or the plastic ignition coil cover?
This is it . . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m power Motor.jpg (45.0 KB, 67 views)
Old 02-09-2005, 03:50 PM   #18
GEEE$
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkycityBMW
This is it . . . .

ai ai captain!

G$
GEEE$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 05:11 PM   #19
duffy325
4th Gear Member

Sorry GEEE$, and Thinair, I had it backwards. I thought that the US m3 had the m50 designation, and the euro had the s50 designation. That is untill the 3.2 litre engine was released. That is why I was assuming he was talking US market only. Learn something new everyday.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:24 PM   #20
GEEE$
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy325
Sorry GEEE$, and Thinair, I had it backwards. I thought that the US m3 had the m50 designation, and the euro had the s50 designation. That is untill the 3.2 litre engine was released. That is why I was assuming he was talking US market only. Learn something new everyday.

No probs brutha...we all learn something new every day.

Take me for example, I just learned today that M-Power is a complete jackass.

G$

Last edited by GEEE$; 02-09-2005 at 05:27 PM.
GEEE$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 08:48 PM   #21
Furious
BMW again.

thanks for all the replies, ive been pulling my hair out trying to figure things out with my engine, and other matters, this is what i know.
1-both engines look exactly the same, there is a number stamped on the block where its suppose to be, however bmw never got back to me on what it was. no visible vin, and usually they are on the backside of the head but its not there. there are some letters and numbers etched into the head right below were the vin should be , however both my new engine and my old m50 have these markings (not the same numbers and letters of course)
-using etk i found that yes both the manifolds are the same. the oil cap is identical to my m50, and the injectors look to be similar but i wasnt to check for sure.

thanks soo much everyone in advanced
if someone wants to do some investigative work on this engine please PM me. ps the engine isnt stolen i just wnana be sure buddy didnt swap covers and say "here you go mate."

- a few after questions, first one is will a 1998 clutch and flywheel work on that engine and my 325 transmission?

Last edited by Furious; 02-09-2005 at 08:51 PM.
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 08:53 PM   #22
RevShoT
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious

- a few after questions, first one is will a 1998 clutch and flywheel work on that engine and my 325 transmission?

any tranny from a 318 to m3 will bolt to any bimmer engine (im talking about the 3 series sizes)

yes that clutch will also worth with any transmission, just need M3 clutch, flywheel pressure plate, throw out bearing and an M slave cylinder
Old 02-09-2005, 09:12 PM   #23
Furious
BMW again.

why do i need a new slave? all it does is make the peddle easier to depress. im having a problem , i have a 1998 clutch with the flywheel , i installed it and when its fully engaged its giving a horrible chatter and vibration, now im certain that the plate isnt backwards, im not sure why this is happening. anyone shed some ideas im fresh out and i need an ideas and i have till tommorw to figure it out, because after that im out of money.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:19 PM   #24
RevShoT
6th Gear Member

im told the slave cylinder has a longer reach then a non m3

did u use a M3 throw out bearing?

did u make sure all the bolts holding the pressure plate to the flywheel were torqued correct?

when u say the clutch is engauged, u mean your foot is right off the clutch correct?
Old 02-10-2005, 12:04 AM   #25
Furious
BMW again.

no engaged means when im on teh clutch. im using stock throw out, and slave. the specs are fine.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:10 AM   #26
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair
Look in any ETK version catalog except one issued to the states, a US m3 engine is referred to as an M50/M52. In the US ETK, it's referred to as the S50US/S52US.
Ok ... what about a Canadian ETK (is there such a thing)? We're in Canada, so we should use that one, no? So when someone is looking for cams from a US M3 3.0L, would they ask for M50 cams? See the confusion? Basically all I'm saying is that since we're in North America, and the 2 motors ARE different (similar, but not identical) we need a way to distinguishg between the two. Calling them both M50 is idiotic and confusing (even if to the rest of the world it's fine).
Old 02-10-2005, 01:03 PM   #27
Frank de Jonge
3rd Gear Member

Check for an S on the gear box under the car and the diff etc etc.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:20 PM   #28
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotcH
and the 2 motors ARE different (similar, but not identical)
What is similar about them aside from the displacement? With the m50/2 2.5/2.8/3/3.2 practically all the engines have interchangable parts.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. It’s habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, I’m Nelson, and I’m a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: