Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-08-2019, 11:47 AM   #1
pawelgawel
3rd Gear Member

need Help installing INPA in gta plz!!!

hey guys,

I just purchased a 2010 x3 n52 and Im having some issues using the good old PA soft 1.4
I have been using PA Soft 1.4 for about 10 years now on all my e46s and still use it on my m3, but on the x3 im only getting reading on some of the sections and my DME is not being found.

I haven't had issues to the point of needing INPA but now i see i need it and Im having problems installing it properly. It runs but the moment i choose my application, it stops and gives me error messages. I know this might be a simple fix but Ive been trying for days and no cigar.

Is there anyone that could help me out with this? Im willing to meet up and have a couple of beers while we get it done.. please PM me if you have time to help out with this program.
thanks!
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:49 AM   #2
dbworld4k

Remove INPA and whatever new software you've installed for BMW diagnostics. Visit bimmergeeks.net to download their self-installer and follow the DIY instructions.

dbworld4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:17 PM   #3
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelgawel View Post
hey guys,

I just purchased a 2010 x3 n52 and Im having some issues using the good old PA soft 1.4
I have been using PA Soft 1.4 for about 10 years now on all my e46s and still use it on my m3, but on the x3 im only getting reading on some of the sections and my DME is not being found.

I haven't had issues to the point of needing INPA but now i see i need it and Im having problems installing it properly. It runs but the moment i choose my application, it stops and gives me error messages. I know this might be a simple fix but Ive been trying for days and no cigar.

Is there anyone that could help me out with this? Im willing to meet up and have a couple of beers while we get it done.. please PM me if you have time to help out with this program.
thanks!
What kind of messages are you getting? INPA always throws error message for language compatibility and other crap. Is it a crash error message from Windows or something else?

If you are talking about ISTA/P actually, you need to right click and run as admin. Another issue you might encounter if you are using a K+DCAN cable is that you have to set COM port's latency to 1ms.

But like dbworld4k said, just use bimmergeeks instructions, that's what I used as well.
SickFinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:58 AM   #4
pawelgawel
3rd Gear Member

I was using good old windows xp PRO and I was trying to install the 5.02 version of the tools. As you know there is multiple steps you need to take and manipulate couple things including COM port. I did everything according to instructions but kept getting error messages. I tried installing it 4x without luck.

this new 5.06 is meant for win 10, so hopefully this one works. I installed it already and Ill have a look at it in next couple days. Im just working on my X3 broken vanos bolts at the moment.

thank you for the hint
Old 11-29-2019, 10:56 AM   #5
pawelgawel
3rd Gear Member

Ok installed Mike's bmw tools and it seems quite dumb proof but I did get an error after install

FTDI COM Driver Pack.... install failed

So not sure what that is.
Had to change my lot to COM1 as well as it did not do it automatically. I'll test it out and see what happens.

.... and it works
finally lol. although im still getting some error msgs when looking up shadow codes, this might be a normal thing though, seems to be all working .
thank you !!

Last edited by pawelgawel; 11-29-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:33 AM   #6
pawelgawel
3rd Gear Member

take it back.. lol

on my e46 it works but on the e83 it stops reading the moment I choose e83 model option.
It won't read anything once im inside that menu. very strange considering it full functions on the e46
Old 12-05-2019, 11:19 AM   #7
dbworld4k

What year is the E83 and what cable are you using? On cars built after 2006 or so, you need to toggle the switch on the cable.

Old 12-05-2019, 11:24 AM   #8
pawelgawel
3rd Gear Member

It's a 2010

Cable is "inpa compatible" apparently. Not sure if the pin 7 and 8 are soldered or not.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:28 AM   #9
pawelgawel
3rd Gear Member

I just opened the casing... doesnt look like they are. Maybe that's the issue... need to address this

Last edited by pawelgawel; 12-05-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:31 PM   #10
SickFinga

Quote:
I just opened the casing... doesnt look like they are. Maybe that's the issue... need to address this
You need to block off or de-solder PIN 8.

I have the cable from one-stop-electronics and it comes with an adapter that blocks off the PIN 8

I believe there are cables now with a switch that lets you disconnect PIN 8.

If you are good at soldering, just desolder PIN8 and solder it back when needed.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:07 PM   #11
pawelgawel
3rd Gear Member

From what I understand, pin 7 & 8 should be connected. So what the newer cables have is a little switch that connects and disconnects them.

I've never heard of pin #8 being disconnected altogether. Some guys installed a micro switch with two wires connecting to 7 and 8 which allows them to turn this on and off based on applications.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:14 PM   #12
pawelgawel
3rd Gear Member

http://blog.uobdii.com/how-to-diy-dk...-new-bmw-cars/

Here's the link... I dont get it, says 07+ vehicles the pins need to be separate, and that's what I have. But this cable works on my e46 which is 05. So I'm kinda confused lol

Last edited by pawelgawel; 12-05-2019 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:23 PM   #13
dbworld4k

The switchable BinmmerGeeks Pro Cable is the best one by far. It also has much faster read and write speeds, necessary when tinkering with the DME (if you ever get into that aspect).

Old 12-05-2019, 03:42 PM   #14
pawelgawel
3rd Gear Member

I've been dependent on PASoft 1.4 for years and it's been easy to use for my needs. I've never done deep end programming yet but wouldnt mind having that ability.
For now I need to be able to pinpoint errors and see what modules are funky and what not.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:31 PM   #15
SickFinga

Quote:
From what I understand, pin 7 & 8 should be connected. So what the newer cables have is a little switch that connects and disconnects them.

I've never heard of pin #8 being disconnected altogether. Some guys installed a micro switch with two wires connecting to 7 and 8 which allows them to turn this on and off based on applications.
Quote:

Here, read this

http://www.osefactory.com/tools/k+dc...patibility.pdf

PIN 8 is used for something else on DCAN cars.

K-LINE cars, PIN 7 and 8 are bridged.
DCAN, no signal should be sent via PIN 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
The switchable BinmmerGeeks Pro Cable is the best one by far. It also has much faster read and write speeds, necessary when tinkering with the DME (if you ever get into that aspect).
I heard that flashing with K-DCAN is just asking for trouble

Quote:
I've been dependent on PASoft 1.4 for years and it's been easy to use for my needs. I've never done deep end programming yet but wouldnt mind having that ability.
For now I need to be able to pinpoint errors and see what modules are funky and what not.
That is definitely the easiest tool to use. Very lightweight and user-friendly. However, I heard that v2.1, that works on newer cars, is nowhere near as good.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: