Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-25-2008, 07:52 PM   #1
Yorkie
2nd Gear Member

Pls help me identify a part in the engine bay

I'm taking my car in to the mechanic tomorrow.

I had a wierd noise develop in the last couple of days. It only occurs during the first minute or two then it goes away. The sound comes from within a 5 inch round plastic housing in the right rear of the engine bay. There is a rubber hose going into the head and a plastic hose running down the side of the engine bay that has a breather on the end.

When I put my hand on this part, the noise dulled, so I know its coming from there.

Can someone tell me what this is so I can talk to my mechanic tomorrow.

Thanks.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:25 PM   #2
PedroBMW
Hooked on Boost

That is your secondary air pump, it only works for the first minute or so after a cold start. If it has suddenly become noisy then it is either leaking the air out (trust me this is very noisy) or the air pump motor itself is starting to die (its just a small electric pump sorta like you have in your vacuum cleaner). Either you have to fix the leak or replace the motor, I'd say those are pretty much your options. Its funny someone just asked about this thing on here a few days ago i think. GL.

http://www.foldingtrailers.ca
PedroBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:38 PM   #3
Yorkie
2nd Gear Member

OK, thanks man. Is it a simple fix that I could do myself (not a machanic but can handle the minor stuff) of should I have the mechanic look at it?
Old 03-25-2008, 09:11 PM   #4
JunzieB
Wants more powaaa!

If it's just replacing it, you should be able to do it yourself given that you have a repair manual to follow. The pump costs a pretty penny to replace though unless you buy one used. I believe it's around $300 to $350 brand new and that's a price from autopartsway.ca so i believe the dealer wouls rape you with the price if you buy it from them.

Once it decides to die on you it'll throw a CEL. I don't know much about it leaking or how to fix it so i'll let someone else chime in on that
JunzieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:18 PM   #5
PedroBMW
Hooked on Boost

WoW $300 to $350! that is nuts, I will sell you mine if your willing to wait a week or so. Since I've had aftermarket headers its just been blowing out into the air anyway (thats how i know that that a leak is looud lol) and now with the turbo and standalone I'll especially have no use for it. Let me know if you want it. make me an offer, FYI my car only has just over 100k so it is in good shape.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:40 AM   #6
Yorkie
2nd Gear Member

Sound like I'd be able to swap it out no problem.

Can you tell me exactly what this air pump's function is, and what would happen if it were to completely die?

How would I determine if its a leak or bad pump?

Pedro - thanks for the offer. I'll find out and let you know, I may need your part.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:15 PM   #7
saint166
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
I'm taking my car in to the mechanic tomorrow.

I had a wierd noise develop in the last couple of days. It only occurs during the first minute or two then it goes away. The sound comes from within a 5 inch round plastic housing in the right rear of the engine bay. There is a rubber hose going into the head and a plastic hose running down the side of the engine bay that has a breather on the end.

When I put my hand on this part, the noise dulled, so I know its coming from there.

Can someone tell me what this is so I can talk to my mechanic tomorrow.

Thanks.
is it making a ticking noise that sounds like a lifter ticking? if its what im thinking all u have to do is put a rubber washer between it and the car body . here is link http://jackassofalltrades.com/ticker.html
saint166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:04 AM   #8
PedroBMW
Hooked on Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
Can you tell me exactly what this air pump's function is, and what would happen if it were to completely die?

How would I determine if its a leak or bad pump?
Its an emmission control device. After a cold start it pumps air into your exhaust manifold. This combined with the rich mixture is used to light off the catalyst faster (bring the catalytic convertor up to temperature quicker because it does nothing when it is cold). If the pump dies you will periodically get a CEL whenever the DME runs the monitor for this device.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:24 AM   #9
Yorkie
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroBMW View Post
Its an emmission control device. After a cold start it pumps air into your exhaust manifold. This combined with the rich mixture is used to light off the catalyst faster (bring the catalytic convertor up to temperature quicker because it does nothing when it is cold). If the pump dies you will periodically get a CEL whenever the DME runs the monitor for this device.
So it wouldn't be detremental to the performance or function of my car then?

Would it provide a problem passing an emissions test because I need to get one done.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:40 PM   #10
luker0
2nd Gear Member

What PedroBMW said, mine is now completely dead and is seaping "rust" marks on the top of the pump. It's also likely that the valve that lets the air into the manifold has also failed, typically in the open position. This lets moisture collect in the pump, which then rusts out.

Not detrimental to the car, maybe detrimental to the cats over a long time, but likely not. You should never get your car emission tested when cold so that won't be an issue. If you don't fix it, expect a code 1420 and/or 1421 when the check engine light comes on. I've been resetting mine for about 5 months now.
luker0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: