Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Z series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-29-2016, 10:14 PM   #1
catimann
1st Gear Newbie

New but not

Hi all, I am new here but not to BMW. I have a 98 Z3 that I have had for 4 years.

Love the car and plan to keep it. I am looking at buying a RF subframe kit for it next after I finish changing the clutch.

I have been reading about the subframe law suits etc on another forum site and wondered what had happened in Canada. That is why I ended up here.
I have a feeling I am too late getting to the party on this one.

Still I would like to get the Coles notes on the issue, if someone knows.

Thanks.
catimann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:56 AM   #2
Swaybars
1st Gear Newbie

Sub-frame issue is a misnomer. It is actually a design flaw in the differential mount and the part of the trunk floor that the mount attaches to. The mount itself is too weak to support the differential in certain conditions and the spot welds on the trunk floor that support the mount are also too weak.

Be aware that the Randy Forbes kit requires MAJOR work in the rear of the car to install. Last quote I heard was around $3000 just for labour to install and this was a couple of years ago. Randy has a website where he extensively documents the cars he works on. You can get an idea of what is involved by browsing through the gallery. -->http://www.spcarsplus.com/gallery3/index.php/?page=30

People are suggesting the failure happens when driving aggressively at the track and/or doing a lot of manoeuvres that get the car sideways. If you don't do this types of activities you are probably fine. Get under your car and inspect the diff mount, then inspect the spot welds in the trunk for tears, cracks or separations.

I bought my car from the US with the RF kit installed so I am not sure what the situation was in Canada regarding having to deal with BMW about this issue.
Swaybars is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: