Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-19-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
frankie591
3rd Gear Member

ZF320 detent pin test?

Hello all,

I recently got a zf320 from a 328i and will be putting it into my m52 swapped e30. The trans came from a wrecking yard with a confirmed 50k mileage, and I am able to shift it into all gears. Since I never was able to test the trans personally, I am a little concerned about the detent problems, and popping out of gear. Wondering if there is a way to test for this issue with the trans out of the car?

Any help appreciated,

-Andrew
frankie591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:00 PM   #2
frankie591
3rd Gear Member

posting for future reference:

If you attach your shift carrier, selector rod and a shift lever to the trans, you can shift the trans through the gears. If it is difficult to pull out of gear into neutral, the shift pins (3) on the top of the trans are sticking and need to be replaced.

The shifter in neutral should have a "home position" between 3rd and 4th. With the trans in neutral, push the lever straight forward into gear. Spin the input shaft of the trans to determine whether you are in 3rd gear or 5th gear (you know if you are in 5th because of the 1:1 ratio). If the trans shifts into 5th then your 5th gear detent spring (passenger side of trans) is worn and needs replacement. Another test is to shift into 5th gear, then pull the shifter back into neutral. If the shift lever stays leaned over towards 5th gear (5th gear lean) then the detents need replacement. When pulled out of 5th gear, the shift lever should spring back to the center position between 3rd and 4th if the trans is functioning as it should.

Feel free to pm me with any questions.
frankie591 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: