Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
yellowfever3
2nd Gear Member

Coilovers...anyone try the cheapies?

trying to figure out which suspension setup to go with without breaking the bank. i was looking at the ksport coilover set. seems like a pretty good deal, variable spring rates, 36 way adjustable dampening for around a grand. anyone have suggestions or had experience with those? i have a 98 e36 coupe with 18" style 5's
yellowfever3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:50 AM   #2
iverson03tj
5th Gear Member

Yes racelands... i love them... good ride and the only thing is... i would get a more stiffer front springs because i bottomed mine a bit... and u can choose ur spring rate with raceland btw.. the race lands are the cheapest... but for a grand im pretty sure u can get like the bilstein ones... i think...

BTW 18's are big rims... does it rub? and whats the tire size
e36 328is - (m52)AA S/c'd, M50 Mani, 3.23 LSD, M3 Brakes, Zimmer rotors, hps pads, Racing Dynamic Strut Bar, Depos, m3 Bumper, Intake, Spal fan, poly RTABs, Eibach Swaybars, Koni yellow, Mishimoto Rad, Silicone hose, Alumi T-housing, Depo w/LED Angels, LED tails, 12' Alpine Type R, Suede head liner, LTW Low rise spoiler
PREVIOUS CARS
92' 325is (m52) - M3 conversion AA S/c'd
'97 Euro Estroil E36 M3 Vert (S50B32)
iverson03tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:57 AM   #3
Jonesin
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowfever3 View Post
trying to figure out which suspension setup to go with without breaking the bank. i was looking at the ksport coilover set. seems like a pretty good deal, variable spring rates, 36 way adjustable dampening for around a grand. anyone have suggestions or had experience with those? i have a 98 e36 coupe with 18" style 5's
Quote:
Originally Posted by iverson03tj View Post
Yes racelands... i love them... good ride and the only thing is... i would get a more stiffer front springs because i bottomed mine a bit... and u can choose ur spring rate with raceland btw.. the race lands are the cheapest... but for a grand im pretty sure u can get like the bilstein ones... i think...

BTW 18's are big rims... does it rub? and whats the tire size
A couple points on this subject that has been beaten to death on the 'Big' forums. (The Fest and BF.c.)

For a grand you're nearly into H&R Bilstein territory. If you're spending that much go for them.

To save cash like I did (I just took a 73% pay cut to go back to school) you get Racelands like suggested here. They're great for the money. I've had 'em on for 6 months now and have had no issues. I've been to Calabogie, and I've Auto Crossed. A good friend of mine Auto X's with his Racelands very regularly.

My experience has only been negative with the rears. Unlike iverson, I really like the fronts on my set, it's the rears I find just a touch too soft for track use. I'll be replacing them soonest with stiffer rear springs.

For 18s, another buddy had 19s on his '94 325is. and they only required a hint of stretch and roll.

Ed.

Useful links click HERE
Member of the Non-M Bumper By Choice Club
Jonesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:59 AM   #4
Sunny87
2nd Gear Member

Riding on Racelands, I think they are ok for just driving on day to day. I previously had tiens on a 240 and have ridden on various other COs on other peoples cars and found them better.

And like the previous poster, perhaps a different spring setup may help. I got them for 400$ and was pleased with what i received for 400$.
Sunny87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:19 AM   #5
doogee
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to doogee
Spend the extra money on something that will last and is actually thought out for the track.

Racelands and Teins make no sense. Mainly when they put a softer spring in the back than the front....

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:22 AM   #6
Jonesin
2nd Gear Member

I agree with the above, however, in my case, they're merely an temporary fix, that doesn't break the bank, and hold up very well for DD use from everyone that I've talked to that has owned them. That's a strong endorsement. 100% customer satisfaction to the several dozen people I know that DD, AutoX and occasionally track their cars.

Useful links click HERE
Member of the Non-M Bumper By Choice Club
Jonesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:23 AM   #7
doogee
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesin View Post
I agree with the above, however, in my case, they're merely an temporary fix, that doesn't break the bank, and hold up very well for DD use from everyone that I've talked to that has owned them. That's a strong endorsement. 100% customer satisfaction to the several dozen people I know that DD, AutoX and occasionally track their cars.
A friend of mine who used to own them would strongly disagree.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:23 AM   #8
Sunny87
2nd Gear Member

I'm sure everyone is going to tell you to go for a better / more expensive route for a good reason too, but you should justify it with your needs / wants.

If you're going to track it, i'm almost certain that you will be happier with another setup.
Sunny87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:04 AM   #9
iverson03tj
5th Gear Member

Yea but i dont think the OP is interesting in tracking... and i like how the suspension is for DD... i dont think u will feel a difference on normal roads, but i bet its a huge difference on the track.
e36 328is - (m52)AA S/c'd, M50 Mani, 3.23 LSD, M3 Brakes, Zimmer rotors, hps pads, Racing Dynamic Strut Bar, Depos, m3 Bumper, Intake, Spal fan, poly RTABs, Eibach Swaybars, Koni yellow, Mishimoto Rad, Silicone hose, Alumi T-housing, Depo w/LED Angels, LED tails, 12' Alpine Type R, Suede head liner, LTW Low rise spoiler
PREVIOUS CARS
Old 11-23-2010, 04:05 AM   #10
doogee
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iverson03tj View Post
Yea but i dont think the OP is interesting in tracking... and i like how the suspension is for DD... i dont think u will feel a difference on normal roads, but i bet its a huge difference on the track.
In my friends case, they just didn't last. The street is harsher than the track.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:12 AM   #11
iverson03tj
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
In my friends case, they just didn't last. The street is harsher than the track.
+1 Toronto needs roads like in swedish have
PREVIOUS CARS
Old 11-23-2010, 04:54 AM   #12
ACS_DAN
16/F/Cali

Send a message via MSN to ACS_DAN
I have Rokkor Coils on mine. They look pretty good for what I paid for them. ONLY thing that bothers me though is the rear shocks. They look like If I were to arm wrestle them, they'd loose. I can't see them lasting too long, but when they do go I'll be looking at a different set of rear shocks. I'd even go so far to say that they look a good size smaller(Thinner) than the stock units.

Seem fine for what I want them to do. Strictly street, and flipping bitches when I spot some Beezies sitting in a purple Jetta in a Tim hortons parking lot.

=p

95 530i|Modifications - Work.
ACS_DAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:49 AM   #13
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

I'm looking into TRM coil overs. Choice of spring rates, match bump/rebound adjustment on one knob and come with front camber plates. Kits around $1600.

Anyone have these yet??
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:18 AM   #14
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

Piecing together my own over winter, roughly $80 a corner for the fronts but can't quote me yet. I'm thinking of 225 Front and 375 Rear. The rears I haven't figured out yet, as they are just adjustable spring seats essentially on the e30.

When I get some actual numbers and photos I'll post them here.

Performance one step at a time.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:56 PM   #15
E30 Kid
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to E30 Kid
i have KW's and their amazing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: