Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-29-2004, 10:34 PM   #1
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

rust help?

My Peugeot has some minor rust spots, what should i do? Can i remove them, should i cut them out and weld new metal in??? any ideas or suggestions??? Chemicals i can use etc?
5style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 10:48 PM   #2
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
Ok sence rust seems to be a big problem with early 90's subarus, I will show how to get rid of it.

Ok the first step is to figure out if the rust is trough the metal or not. If the rust has made a hole you are going to need to patch it. There are a few ways of patching the hole. One of the ways is to buy a fiber glass repair kit. Another way is to cut a patch out of sheet metal and weld it in. If the rust is just surface rust you can use an angle grinder or similar tool to grind it down so that not even the faintest spec is visible. I CAN NOT STRESS THAT ENOUGH MAKE SURE YOU CAN NOT SEE ANY MORE RUST, or it will come back! In fact if you have access to a sand blaster of some kind use that to knock the rust off insted. Once all the rust is off you can just follow with some bondo.
enlarge
Just apply and sand off untill when you run your hand over it you can not fell any lumps. Buy some automotive primer. Mask off the surrounding area that hasnt been worked on and spray three to four light coats. Let the primer dry and with the surrounding area still masked off spray a super light fog coat of flat black spray paint. Once that is dry take some 600 grit sand paper and wet block sand it untill the edges are nice and featered, and you cant see any more black. Now is the point were you take it in to a pro to finish the job. Trust me you do not want to buy some automotive spray paint and try to apply that it will look horrid. It will cost 100 bucks at the most to get it painted.

from cardomain

BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 10:50 PM   #3
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

sweet that will do
5style is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: