Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-06-2009, 05:26 PM   #1
BlueBimmer09
2nd Gear Member

Paint entire e46 car cost Rip off? My story

Hi,

I got into an accident 2 months ago and I am going to pick up my car tomorrow.
However, I question the cost of the repaint they did for me there is why.

Originally, I wanted to put an OEM M tech kit onto my car and they quoted me $1000 to paint the kit and install it.

A week after, I got into a no fault accident and decided to let them do the repairs. I got hit in the front so only the front driver side part is damaged. Also they are a very good repair shop since they are sponsored by one of the BMW dealers.

I called them up and said that there is no point to paint the original bumper and and put it on again since I have a brand new M tech kit sitting there. So I said if they can shift some of the costs such as labor etc onto the insurance company since they are making a ton of money on the repair which is a total of $12000. So they said they will work something out.

Now i called today and they told me that I owe them $1000 for the cost. I said why is that I thought you will work something out. (my thought was for me to reduce the $1000 to say maybe half or non at all since they are making an additional $12000 of business). Note, after the accident, I called them up to stop their current paint of the kit but they already did 80% of the paint job on the kit so I can understand some costs may be incurred so I might have to a portion of the job already done.

Continuing with the conversation on the phone today, he said that, they can not do this becasue the insurance company look at all the financials so they can not "fudge" it. Instead he said that he repainted my entire car. He said that would cost $10,000 since the had the strip the car bare of the windows, headlights etc. In his words to make a "quality, oem paint job". But here is the thing, they did not call me up with this new "offer" to repaint the entire car and that I have to pay $1000 for it. In other word they did this without my knowledge.

But he said I got a great deal because instead of the $10,000 i pay for this job, he said I only pay my good old price of $1000.

Now my questions is, is it possible to repaint the whole BMW E46 coupe with a high quality job to cost $10,000.

1K is a lot, and I know trying to work the system is not good. But they got an additional $12000 of business.

Any insight would be helpful.

thanks

I will also upload some pictures of my car tomorrow once i pick it up with the brand oem paint and M tech kit.

Last edited by BlueBimmer09; 07-06-2009 at 05:37 PM.
BlueBimmer09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
BlueBimmer09
2nd Gear Member

Pic after accident as reference
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00223%20-%20Copy_6_1.JPG (98.9 KB, 249 views)
Old 07-06-2009, 08:09 PM   #3
spoony_prelude
Eurowerke

shops love insurance accidents, theyll try and take as much money out of insurance as possible. I have a friend with a 96 jetta glx, got into a minor front end accident. the car was originally black but my friend decided to change it to red. The shop charged his insurance $6500 for fix a headlight/grill/bumper and repaint. They didnt even paint inside the door jams, remove any molding/lights.

My advice is make sure he really did repaint your whole car. not just buff it. Ask your insurance to go check out the job so you get a better opinion on the job.

Jay
Old 07-06-2009, 08:19 PM   #4
BabyHerc
2nd Gear Member

On a side note, how did that accident happen?
BabyHerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:21 PM   #5
BlueBimmer09
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyHerc View Post
On a side note, how did that accident happen?
Hi had another post on this.

Long story short, a mazda rx8 on a rainy day try to turn right too quickly, lost traction and hit me.

Also, the right turn was not 90% it was someting like 95% so the young 18-19 year old kid (had G2) misjudged the turn angle
Old 07-06-2009, 08:25 PM   #6
Another BM
3rd Gear Member

oh **** dude, u are getting scammed....
the body shop i took my car to did all the extras free of charge.

He painted my m3 bumper, painted a trunk lip.. got me a new trunk because my old one had a small dent on it and painted it also...
i had been rear ended and this was all charged to Insurance.
Another BM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:27 PM   #7
Another BM
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoony_prelude View Post
shops love insurance accidents, theyll try and take as much money out of insurance as possible. I have a friend with a 96 jetta glx, got into a minor front end accident. the car was originally black but my friend decided to change it to red. The shop charged his insurance $6500 for fix a headlight/grill/bumper and repaint. They didnt even paint inside the door jams, remove any molding/lights.

My advice is make sure he really did repaint your whole car. not just buff it. Ask your insurance to go check out the job so you get a better opinion on the job.

Jay
to also correct you.. The Bodyshop does not charge the insurance company..
The insurance company sends out an adjuster to look over the damage and reach an agreement on the cost to fix the car. Its up to the bodyshop to spend the money on how they see fit after that.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:29 PM   #8
BlueBimmer09
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another BM View Post
oh **** dude, u are getting scammed....
the body shop i took my car to did all the extras free of charge.

He painted my m3 bumper, painted a trunk lip.. got me a new trunk because my old one had a small dent on it and painted it also...
i had been rear ended and this was all charged to Insurance.
Hi, did you get the whole car repainted though.

His justification is the car repaint was not included in the $12000, so I got a $10000 value repaint for $1000. Now had I not gotten into an accident, I would still be paying $1000.

So your thoughts.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:06 PM   #9
bimmerjoe
Yagerbombs/skanks

did you pay a deductible?
if not then there ya go.
1000 is nothing if you have a fresh paint job on your car.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:12 PM   #10
Mikeee46coup
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another BM View Post
to also correct you.. The Bodyshop does not charge the insurance company..
The insurance company sends out an adjuster to look over the damage and reach an agreement on the cost to fix the car. Its up to the bodyshop to spend the money on how they see fit after that.
Most insurance companies have pre approved/prefered shops in which case an adjuster rarely visits, having one of these shops on your side can help quite a bit.

DPE Wheels, H&R Cupkit, M3 Interior...too many mods to list.
Mikeee46coup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:56 PM   #11
europrince
6th Gear Member

I have visited the shop doing the repair on a daily basis to see the progress on the repair. In seeing that, I knew exactly what was getting fixed and what wasn't. Something you can do next time.
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:20 PM   #12
BlueBimmer09
2nd Gear Member

Well, tomorrow i am goign to pick up the car, I am going to ask for a full report of the repairs including the full body car repaint.

Also, anybody knwo how I can identify if a car was stripped down for a repaint or just tapped over and painted. or just buffed
Old 07-06-2009, 10:41 PM   #13
VSanj
6th Gear Member

post after pics
Old 07-06-2009, 10:52 PM   #14
Another BM
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBimmer09 View Post
Hi, did you get the whole car repainted though.

His justification is the car repaint was not included in the $12000, so I got a $10000 value repaint for $1000. Now had I not gotten into an accident, I would still be paying $1000.

So your thoughts.
i didn't get a full paint job because the damage on my wasn't that much..

but if your whole car is getting painted and by the damage seen on your car he was gonna have to pull the bumper off.. why is he charging you an extra 1000 to do work he was already gonna have to do..

thats the part that confuses me...

btw nice looking car. i got the same colour on my 330ci also.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:37 PM   #15
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Did you sign something stating you'd pay them for the extra work? If not, dont pay them. (the insurance company will not pay them until YOU take the car back. Dont drive it off their lot if you're not happy with it)

2002 TiAg M3 6mt deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 220M 19's, Michelin Supersports
2006 YZF-R6, bunch of go-fast stuff
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: