Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > X series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-15-2018, 10:21 AM   #1
DeepDives
1st Gear Newbie

X3 or X5 for Upgrading?

Hello everyone!

I'm hoping that the BMW community here might be able to point me in the right direction.

I have been totally in love with the X3 and X5 that BMW raced in the Dakar back in 2006, and i would love to do some light modifications to get a similar look of vehicle.

We are in the market for a second vehicle that will do double duty as a work commuter (from Guelph, Ontario to Oakville which is about 70km each way of all back roads) and as a vehicle to do some traveling up north on a lot of dirt roads.

What I have been looking at is a second gen X5 (2008-2011ish) ideally with the larger engine options, although i have been recommended to avoid the 35D due to what seems like a typically expensive injector issue that pops up?

Or a first or second gen x3 around the 2008-2012 time period, with the 3.0i, 30si, 30i engines. (turbo inline 6)

Could anyone point me in the direction of which of these two models would be easier to do a mild upgrade in suspension with potentially a small lift, and then just better for general maintenance.

This is my first jump in to the BMW world and after diving through forums and test drives for the last month I still haven't found which is the better way to go.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
DeepDives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:31 PM   #2
MIK3
1st Gear Newbie

I loved my 2007 X3 3.0si but as far as upgrades there weren't too many out there. The 2007-2010 ran the N52 which was a very reliable motor (in my case/opinion) and was well suited to the car for its size. Fuel economy was good and power wasn't bad either. If you're looking at one the things to check for are: replaced rear coil springs (cheap fix/parts but usually go between 80-100k), good condition driveshaft/guibo, working A/C without leaks, and functioning sunroof. These are the three big issuesthat this car/drive train experience. There are almost no suspension mods (except for a few lowering springs and coilover kits) out there for the e83 platform.

All in all i really enjoyed my car, i had it for almost 4 years and put almost 70xxxkm on it. I had the guibo on the driveshaft replaced, replaced the rear coil springs, a mirror motor replaced and that was pretty much it in terms of repairs during ownership.

The ride was firm but planted, always giving a good sense of control. If you decide on an e83 look for a car with comfort seats, you will not regret it.
MIK3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: