Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-16-2014, 11:09 PM   #31
webb70
3rd Gear Member

I'm in if this is a go.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:49 AM   #32
boerboel
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeeDemoN View Post
Had mine replaced under CPO because of the rattling. Was told that warranty was extended for the new turbos for another 2 years, can't remember number of KM.

New turbos sound exactly the same.

Will wait 1.5 years and go in for another fresh pair.

Edit - the rattling is not really that bad on mine....mostly noticeable when the car is cold. However they work perfectly and the car pulls very hard.
Does this present itself as a diesel sounding noise on cold start up? I test drove a 535xiT on the weekend and it sounded awful on startup, but fine after a drive.
boerboel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:15 AM   #33
SpeeDemoN
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boerboel View Post
Does this present itself as a diesel sounding noise on cold start up? I test drove a 535xiT on the weekend and it sounded awful on startup, but fine after a drive.
Not really a diesel sounding noise. However during idle there was a slight on again - off again metallic rattle.

It was not constantly rattling, more like a brief rattle every 4 seconds or so.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:50 PM   #34
MOe_Mentum
1st Gear Newbie

Thought I'd bump this up - Been searching all over to see If anyone get anywhere with this. Any luck?

I was thinking of bringing my car to the US to have it replaced but then read that the car had to be purchased in the US :/ Kind of stupid if you ask me since our warranties technically could be serviced in either the US or Canada. So if I live in the US and bring my Canadian car over you'd hope you would be able to get this done
MOe_Mentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:41 PM   #35
kenmasters
1st Gear Newbie

Like many others I sold my car before real problems occurred. If you own an older 335, having to maintain it comes with the territory.

Bringing your CDN car to the US won't work as they know it is from Canada. If the dealer doesn't catch on, BMW NA will as they are the ones paying for it. BMW NA and BMW Canada are two different organizations.
kenmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:35 PM   #36
Dbimmaz
1st Gear Newbie

Another Canadian victim of the dreaded wastegate rattle issue .. Purchased my car about 3 month ago privately in the GTA area. I had a mechanic with me to look at the car and it proved to be fairly well maintained with all dealer records and came with an extended power train warranty until 160,000 km or 8 years(Third party warranty). The car is an 08 e90 335i sedan 6 MT with 110,000 km(A little high Km but the price was right). As soon as I started to drive the car daily I noticed the so called tin can like sounds mostly on deceleration from about 1500 rpm and down. Since then the sound has become noticeably louder and I can hear it on acceleration as well now.. Before I purchased the vehicle I was aware of this problem but didn't realize how common it really is..I thought 1 in 100 people might have an issue.. Ive taken the car to a reputable independent shop in my area who are an authorized bmw repair center.. The Shop contacted the warranty company only to find out the turbo's were somehow not covered under my third party warranty .. Now im out of pocket or im just guna have to live with the sound so frustrating.. So personally I am def in on this if it ever gets off the ground which I honestly don't see happening since its 2014 now.. FML

If anyone can be of any help Id appreciate it..
Dbimmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:20 PM   #37
kenmasters
1st Gear Newbie

I'm sorry that you are experiencing this.

I suggest you go back to the dealership you bought it. Why would they sell you a third party warranty that doesn't cover major parts like the turbo?

If it is rattling I suggest you go other forums like e90post and see if there are some home remedies. Are you sure its the waste gate? If it is the waste gate, there is an engineering tolerance for the amount of "rattle or wiggle". It may rattle, but your car will still drive fine.

Good luck
K
Old 07-10-2014, 03:09 PM   #38
damameke
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmasters View Post

I suggest you go back to the dealership you bought it. Why would they sell you a third party warranty that doesn't cover major parts like the turbo?

If it is rattling I suggest you go other forums like e90post and see if there are some home remedies. Are you sure its the waste gate? If it is the waste gate, there is an engineering tolerance for the amount of "rattle or wiggle". It may rattle, but your car will still drive fine.

Good luck
K
He bought it privately with that
warranty, I thought BMW had extended that turbo
Unit for 10 years,is that just for US?
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:18 PM   #39
Dbimmaz
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:

Good luck
K
I Mentioned in the above post that I purchased the car private in the Toronto area.. The Warranty was fully transferable to my name. The previous owner had purchased the warranty when he bought the car from a dealer in Toronto..
As to why its not covered is because the warranty company claims its part of the exhaust which is not covered under my powertrain warranty?
The car still drives ok but the sound is untolerable and embarrassing to say the least. As far as home remedies go, Isnt this a finely tuned piece of engineering ( Can't put a band aid on it)... Ive had weeks to look into the problem and my mechanic can confirm with me that indeed this issue is the waste gate rattle issue..
Overall im quite disappointed with BMW for not rectifying this issue in Canada and Im still going to try and plee with bmw Canada to see if they can help..
Old 07-10-2014, 03:25 PM   #40
Dbimmaz
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by damameke View Post
He bought it privately with that
warranty, I thought BMW had extended that turbo
Unit for 10 years,is that just for US?
Unfortunately for us Canadians there is no extended warranty..
Old 07-11-2014, 09:32 AM   #41
kenmasters
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbimmaz View Post
I Mentioned in the above post that I purchased the car private in the Toronto area.. The Warranty was fully transferable to my name. The previous owner had purchased the warranty when he bought the car from a dealer in Toronto..
As to why its not covered is because the warranty company claims its part of the exhaust which is not covered under my powertrain warranty?
The car still drives ok but the sound is untolerable and embarrassing to say the least. As far as home remedies go, Isnt this a finely tuned piece of engineering ( Can't put a band aid on it)... Ive had weeks to look into the problem and my mechanic can confirm with me that indeed this issue is the waste gate rattle issue..
Overall im quite disappointed with BMW for not rectifying this issue in Canada and Im still going to try and plee with bmw Canada to see if they can help..

I would also suggest going back to the person you bought it from. The cost to buy/install a turbo is several $K. Even if BMW is able to knock off a few %, it will be still expensive to replace. Most people who love their e90s end up replacing the turbos anyways and with better upgraded versions.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:30 PM   #42
Dbimmaz
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
I would also suggest going back to the person you bought it from. The cost to buy/install a turbo is several $K. Even if BMW is able to knock off a few %, it will be still expensive to replace. Most people who love their e90s end up replacing the turbos anyways and with better upgraded versions.
I have made the previous owner aware of the problems but really its out of his hands now unfortunately for me.. I am presently seeking help from Bmw Canada but they are apparently unaware of the problem and im assuming there not going to do anything about. I did have a ticket made up to send to the higher ups but I doubt that will accomplish anything.

As far as upgrading the turbo's that makes sense because if I do have them replaced with original turbo's they might just fail again in a year.

If anyone has any experience with upgrading these turbo's let me know.
I would like to hear some options. Possible single turbo kit? aftermarket twin turbo replacement?
Old 07-11-2014, 05:36 PM   #43
v_bimmer
///M > AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbimmaz View Post
I have made the previous owner aware of the problems but really its out of his hands now unfortunately for me.. I am presently seeking help from Bmw Canada but they are apparently unaware of the problem and im assuming there not going to do anything about. I did have a ticket made up to send to the higher ups but I doubt that will accomplish anything.

As far as upgrading the turbo's that makes sense because if I do have them replaced with original turbo's they might just fail again in a year.

If anyone has any experience with upgrading these turbo's let me know.
I would like to hear some options. Possible single turbo kit? aftermarket twin turbo replacement?

There is tons of information on this on e90post
Old 07-11-2014, 05:48 PM   #44
Dbimmaz
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_bimmer View Post
There is tons of information on this on e90post
Im on e90 post as well but there is a alot of posts to go through . Im sure ill find some good info after some digging.. Just trying to get some people chiming in that had this problem and/or have experience in fixes and different options that are out there..
Old 07-11-2014, 08:44 PM   #45
damameke
6th Gear Member

So for the 335 n 135 , did BMW upgraded the turbo unit to resolve
this issue? N I take it that early 335 n 135 are prone to this issue?
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: