Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2016, 12:23 AM   #16
Bimmer Heaven
MaXsponsor
 
Bimmer Heaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ontario
Posts: 15,624


^^^I think you need a Cadillac! Or air ride. I have coilovers on 3 of my cars, and none of them make ANY noise!
__________________
BIMMER HEAVEN
Specialized in BMW recycling, all OEM used parts
Up to 90% off new cost!!!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E28 E34 E39 E60 E61 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4 F30 F32


Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 100+ cars now in stock!
Bimmer Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:41 AM   #17
JayWells
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 37
So I guess I should be looking at lowering springs then?
JayWells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:41 AM   #18
windwagen
6th Gear Member
 
windwagen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Markham
Posts: 2,527
I would say yes - considering what your goal is.

As for proper coilovers and ride...this is very subjective

Maybe ask take a ride in a similar car? You're welcome to try mine... both are 5 series though... I have a wagon with stock sport suspension and the M5 has coilovers.
__________________

E39 528i Touring - Unicorn Package (5 Spd M)
E39 M5 - for Sunny Days
windwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:11 PM   #19
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear
 
ac_2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Brampton / Mississauga
Posts: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Heaven View Post
^^^I think you need a Cadillac! Or air ride. I have coilovers on 3 of my cars, and none of them make ANY noise!
With many coilover setups for the E46, rear spring design isn't the best.
This causes the coils to bind and make noise, particularly at parking lot speeds.

I'm sure you guys have come across more than a few E46s with rusted rear springs (aftermarket), due to this binding.

Happened on my M3 and 325, with 2 different coilover manufacturers.
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=375086
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:29 PM   #20
CrowsFeast
Intermediate Tracker
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Etobicoke
Posts: 33
If you just want it for looks while maintaining ride quality, then you can do springs or coilovers. Either one is a valid option. With springs i think you may find that the gap will be uneven which may or may not drive you crazy. With coilovers you can adjust them however you like, including raising it up for the winter.

Either way what you need to look carefully for is the spring rate. You want a spring that is fairly close to the stock rate (they will all be at least a bit higher) and you'll want to upgrade your struts to match the stiffer spring rates, as well as because the stock struts likely won't last as well at the lower ride height.

If you go for coilovers then I highly suggest something with a stainless steel body so they won't be seized on you before or after the winter. There's differing opinions on whether or not to coat the threads in anti-seize. On the one hand it should keep it from seizing (obvious) but on the other it may collect dust and grit causing extra wear on those threads, or jamming them up.
CrowsFeast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:48 PM   #21
jabela
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,229
If the coil is binding at rest doesn't that mean that the initial spring rate of the progressive coil is too low?
__________________

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.maisonapothecare.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 05:22 PM   #22
JayWells
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowsFeast View Post
If you just want it for looks while maintaining ride quality, then you can do springs or coilovers. Either one is a valid option. With springs i think you may find that the gap will be uneven which may or may not drive you crazy. With coilovers you can adjust them however you like, including raising it up for the winter.

Either way what you need to look carefully for is the spring rate. You want a spring that is fairly close to the stock rate (they will all be at least a bit higher) and you'll want to upgrade your struts to match the stiffer spring rates, as well as because the stock struts likely won't last as well at the lower ride height.

If you go for coilovers then I highly suggest something with a stainless steel body so they won't be seized on you before or after the winter. There's differing opinions on whether or not to coat the threads in anti-seize. On the one hand it should keep it from seizing (obvious) but on the other it may collect dust and grit causing extra wear on those threads, or jamming them up.
Very very informative. Thank you very much for this. I'll do some looking around and maybe visit stance factory in Ajax to get a more in-depth look at pricing and etc. Thank you all for your comments and replies, I truly appreciate the help from everyone.
JayWells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:11 PM   #23
newbe46
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
With many coilover setups for the E46, rear spring design isn't the best.
This causes the coils to bind and make noise, particularly at parking lot speeds.

I'm sure you guys have come across more than a few E46s with rusted rear springs (aftermarket), due to this binding.

Happened on my M3 and 325, with 2 different coilover manufacturers.
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=375086
That's spot on. The clunking noise when going over small humps drove me nuts more than the firmer ride.

And indeed, I'm already looking into an SUV for my next ride.
newbe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:03 PM   #24
earthling
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Ontario
Posts: 5
You didn't mentioned your budget, but based on your "wish list" I would recommend KW variant2.
1- You can change your ride height in a wide range.
2- You can adjust the rebound from stiff to soft in 16 steps to your liking.
3- They are stainless steel, so you don't have to worry about corrosion.

Keep in mind though, if you planning to change the ride height back and forth, then most likely you need to do an alignment every time you make a change.

Also, if you go with coilovers, I would recommend reinforcement plates for your strut towers and rear shock mounts.
earthling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:31 AM   #25
jabela
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,229
Odd, my ISC N1 coilovers have similar progressive rear coils but no noises at all. Perhaps because the spring rate is stiffer? I don't recall seeing them in bind.
__________________

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.maisonapothecare.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2018