Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-05-2016, 12:53 PM   #16
CrowsFeast
Intermediate Tracker

That M3 vert looks remarkably like the M3 vert I almost bought from a dealer about a year ago. It also had the hard top and carbon lip. Dealer and I were about $1k apart and he wouldn't come down, so I walked. Preferred to get a coupe anyway.

Does it have a broken seat belt clip in the back seat? (holds it down so it doesn't flap in the breeze)
CrowsFeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:25 PM   #17
613EDRTY
2nd Gear Member

With the new safety standards quickly approaching the used car market in Ontario will not get any better/cheaper.

I did score a hell of deal this weekend on kijiji. One of those one owner (senior) low km, all the service records kind of deal. Happily paid the very reasonable asking price.

GL with your hunt.
613EDRTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:29 PM   #18
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by 613EDRTY View Post
With the new safety standards quickly approaching the used car market in Ontario will not get any better/cheaper.
Most of those dealerships that sell cheap, shall we say well used cars lol, will probably disappear.

However you'll still be able to buy a car AS-IS and get a hot safety, I don't see the new regulations changing that aspect all that much... it's just a longer list of things for the mechanic to check off without really looking at lol
Old 05-07-2016, 01:40 AM   #19
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
Most of those dealerships that sell cheap, shall we say well used cars lol, will probably disappear.
The BMW dealers are after the different clientele... If the BMW dealers were suffering from small guys, they would just dump prices and clean them out in one week.

I recently met a businessman that sells insulated pipes for heat and AC. So he started small and made it big in his empire. He often pointed to me how some new competition came around the block, dumped their prices and tried very hard to clean him out. It would happen on a regular basis.... People just don't get that Toronto is mecca that lures all sorts of shady people from all the world. They come here to launder their dirty money or park it here during some uncertain times in their countries. You would be shocked to see how many houses in North York sell for $200 000 over asking price. Once you get that straight, you will understand why BMW dealers ask premium for their clean/good cars.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 01:47 AM   #20
Nanook
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowsFeast View Post
That M3 vert looks remarkably like the M3 vert I almost bought from a dealer about a year ago. It also had the hard top and carbon lip. Dealer and I were about $1k apart and he wouldn't come down, so I walked. Preferred to get a coupe anyway.

Does it have a broken seat belt clip in the back seat? (holds it down so it doesn't flap in the breeze)
I had that m3 for 4yrs so no, it's not the one you saw.
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:42 PM   #21
Chuck P
1st Gear Newbie

Great thread OP, the car market is broken on both ends, sellers and buyers. I've tried to sell numerous cars below market value and kijiji/autotrader drove me to trading them in so I could avoid the bullshit.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:39 AM   #22
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Well - the OP and most of the people who commented have an advantage. Education.... At least about the cars and the proper value. It's definitely buyer beware. I suppose the sellers are fishing for a person that didn't do their homework. Why such a person would be looking for a specific 10+ year car doesn't make sense to me either.

Not sure about BC, but I think the risk with cars from Montreal or Quebec province is that a salvage title car can be registered as clean in Ontario. Some sort of loophole.

Sellng/buying is somewhat of a game. If you found that unicorn, the seller knows it... (E30 M3). If it's an overpriced POS....simple, make a reasonable offer for what YOU value the car. Leave your contact info in case nobody makes a better offer. This happened to me when I bought the touring...I got a call from the seller 2 weeks later. My offer was less than half of the asking price, but it was WAY overpriced because of the condition. I still think I paid too much, but touring with stick is rare....

Lastly - If any of you have taken any sales courses, they will tell you to NOT get emotional. This makes your game weak. Do your homework, know what your highest offer will be and stick to it or walk away....

I get the OP's rant. If someone is asking top dollar, we expect the item to be top condtion, not a waste of time. We should be a concerned for the inexperienced buyers out there....

E39 528i Touring - Unicorn Package (5 Spd M)
E39 M5 - for Sunny Days

Last edited by windwagen; 05-08-2016 at 10:42 AM.
windwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:43 AM   #23
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Here's some more stuff......... if you're an enthusiast and at the meets and on the forums, your reputation is out there. How you do things and treat your car is known. I recently was posting about a car and asking for opinions. Some guy responded asking me if it was such and such a car located here. I said yup. Then he gave me the REAL rundown about the owner and the issues with the car from all the online stuff this dude posted and all the antics at club meets. Anyways, now won't touch that car with a ten foot pole.

So be mindful at all times. Sometimes being a dick-hole shooter brah may come back to chew on your azz!!

Current : 2013 Mini Countryman JCW, 2007 Z4M Roadster

Past: '88 E30 M3, '69 BMW 2002 Ti, 2000 328i, Audi A6 TT, BMW X5 3.0i , Audi A4, Mini Cooper Clubman S 1.8T
tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:45 PM   #24
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominizer View Post
Here's some more stuff......... if you're an enthusiast and at the meets and on the forums, your reputation is out there. How you do things and treat your car is known. I recently was posting about a car and asking for opinions. Some guy responded asking me if it was such and such a car located here. I said yup. Then he gave me the REAL rundown about the owner and the issues with the car from all the online stuff this dude posted and all the antics at club meets. Anyways, now won't touch that car with a ten foot pole.

So be mindful at all times. Sometimes being a dick-hole shooter brah may come back to chew on your azz!!
Probably have a good guess who that is
Old 05-10-2016, 06:17 PM   #25
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Generally, everyone can use advice like that. I say it to my business peers all the time. No lies...ever!

Same with selling a car. I take pride in my cars and I want potential buyers to fully understand what they are buying - good and bad - no surprises.

E39 M5 - for Sunny Days
Old 05-11-2016, 05:25 AM   #26
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
tom, I'm tall but not jack in the bean stock tall like some.

more than welcome to come take it for a spin, it will probably end up on kijiji soon

2002 TiAg M3 6mt deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 220M 19's, Michelin Supersports
2006 YZF-R6, bunch of go-fast stuff
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:32 AM   #27
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Pro..... I PM'ed you.

This thread is more along the lines of verbal diarrhea regarding my adventures this spring in buying a used BMW.

So, right in the thick of the dance right now with another owner. This part I never enjoy as usual. I like to be fair but don't want to drop my shorts and take the salt crusted soap in the woo-hoo . I've had the car checked and I "think" I have a good idea on it's worth, but my track record hasn't been stellar to say the least in the past with numbers. I always seem to be spending a bit more than the market value and only coming away with good cars. Not exceptional buys to say the least.

He threw me a number. I tossed one back. He said that it's too low and would like to see me come back with something more reasonable. I thought he may come back with a counter offer but he didn't. So I said thanks and kind of walked away. They always say you have to be able to walk according to the internet guru's and be able to lose the car. So I did. My end game number is in the middle of his number and what I threw out yesterday. And it's VERY fair compared to the market out there now. It's actually I think a grand high. Anyways, I thinking I may call them back in the next week or so......... give them few days to see if they get back to me first. If they do, I should have them hooked. If they don't, it's not going to happen easily........... probably not at all is more like it.

Past: '88 E30 M3, '69 BMW 2002 Ti, 2000 328i, Audi A6 TT, BMW X5 3.0i , Audi A4, Mini Cooper Clubman S 1.8T
Old 05-11-2016, 09:47 PM   #28
JeffCharger
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominizer View Post
Pro..... I PM'ed you.

This thread is more along the lines of verbal diarrhea regarding my adventures this spring in buying a used BMW.

So, right in the thick of the dance right now with another owner. This part I never enjoy as usual. I like to be fair but don't want to drop my shorts and take the salt crusted soap in the woo-hoo . I've had the car checked and I "think" I have a good idea on it's worth, but my track record hasn't been stellar to say the least in the past with numbers. I always seem to be spending a bit more than the market value and only coming away with good cars. Not exceptional buys to say the least.

He threw me a number. I tossed one back. He said that it's too low and would like to see me come back with something more reasonable. I thought he may come back with a counter offer but he didn't. So I said thanks and kind of walked away. They always say you have to be able to walk according to the internet guru's and be able to lose the car. So I did. My end game number is in the middle of his number and what I threw out yesterday. And it's VERY fair compared to the market out there now. It's actually I think a grand high. Anyways, I thinking I may call them back in the next week or so......... give them few days to see if they get back to me first. If they do, I should have them hooked. If they don't, it's not going to happen easily........... probably not at all is more like it.
In my experience, they rarely will call you back. If you're truly interested in buying it for the price you have in mind, why not call or email him with your REAL final offer. Don't wait a week or so. It will bug you through the whole time and you'll be really disappointed if you find it sold to someone else.

Call him, make the final offer, and if not accepted, move on.
JeffCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:25 PM   #29
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Funny..... did call him back and after an hours worth of chatting ....... we figured out how to make it happen and it's done. I'm real happy because I believe I got a car in very good shape. Not perfect but that's fine. Wish I could have spent less...... but for what I'm getting, I'm pretty damn happy. AND glad it's over!!! No more searching. I'm tired. Next week the car comes. Should have it for the long weekend......

Old 05-11-2016, 10:54 PM   #30
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Pix!

E39 M5 - for Sunny Days

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: