Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-01-2016, 11:37 PM   #1
90five
2nd Gear Member

5 speed swap help... Please

Hey all.

After selling my 95 e36 last year I found myself in a 2005 Impreza, after about 6 months of owning the famous oil leaks started and my hunt for another e36 was underway. I was sort of lucky finding a 92 locally super clean body and car itself is in excellent condition for a killer price. Only downfall....
Automatic!

I have sourced a 5 speed transmission for $100 (180,000km) which will include front half of driveshaft and full shifter.

I have done a ton of reading but insist on still asking just so I don't forget anything, a couple other e36 owners here in town will help me with the grunt work I just want to have every part there in the garage before we open the case of beer and begin.

Has anyone done this swap? Would you guys mind sharing your parts list?

Thanks so much, any help would be fantastic. I have the 5 speed itch and an automatic e36 just won't cut it this summer.
90five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:06 PM   #2
90five
2nd Gear Member

Anything I'm missing?

Basic breakdown.

Transmission
Tranny mounts
Shifter with linkage
Shifter boot
Clutch
Flywheel
Master cylinder
Slave cylinder
Clutch pedal/break pedal combo
Driveshaft... plan to marry front half and back half(my car) together
Old 02-02-2016, 06:02 PM   #3
TSI
Reverse Gear Member

Hydraulic lines, pedal switches for cruise control and starter interlock (if desired), pilot bearing. Also, I'm assuming you have reverse switch, clutch fork, pivot bushing and retaining spring included in tranny.
TSI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:47 PM   #4
90five
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSI View Post
Hydraulic lines, pedal switches for cruise control and starter interlock (if desired), pilot bearing. Also, I'm assuming you have reverse switch, clutch fork, pivot bushing and retaining spring included in tranny.
After picking up my transmission last night, it looks to me like all I need is
- pedals with master cyl
- flywheel
- clutch
- flex line
- hard line

Another question... My 5 speed tranny came with front half of driveshaft can I marry it to my automatic back half of driveshaft?

Also how hard is it exactly to remove the brake/clutch pedal and master from a junk yard car? Any leads on write ups would be great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tranny.jpg (68.2 KB, 74 views)
Old 02-03-2016, 05:50 PM   #5
90five
2nd Gear Member

I will also be upgrading to a lightened flywheel, short shifter and changing out the flex disc.

I found a simple wiring read up on the reverse lights and cruise control (cruise will not be needed)

just the reverse light option which is simple enough.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:41 PM   #6
blk3
5th Gear Member

I have a pedal set still in the car but access should be easier with the dash out. Don't know if it interests you at all. Master works but I think was on its way out. Also have the flex line and slave
Old 02-03-2016, 10:04 PM   #7
90five
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk3 View Post
I have a pedal set still in the car but access should be easier with the dash out. Don't know if it interests you at all. Master works but I think was on its way out. Also have the flex line and slave
If the master wasnt on its way out I would probably grab the entire package from you.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:21 PM   #8
South
4th Gear Member

pedal box removal

i just removed the pedal box from a 328 today. PIA.
Your basically on your knees leaning in through the door trying to look for 5 13mm nuts.
You will have to remove the lower dash cover and the crash brace reinfocement for easier access.

There is one nut on the top, and 4 around where the clutch and brake pedals pivot. Once u remove these nuts, it should be wiggable, then just look at whats holding it and unhook it. that said, the slave cyclinder thats on the clutch pedal has a hose that comes out of it and goes into the firewall. I just cut it. Theres also another hose that I just cut.
97 540i6 ACS - 2016-present
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 06:32 PM   #9
bmmr11
bmmr11

How did your swap go? Ive been curious about doing this swap for about 10yrs now.
bmmr11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: