Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-23-2008, 12:09 AM   #16
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

lol, what are the chances? I just turned my car on today to see my "check engine" light on. Much like theboss I've got a 97 328i. Mines automatic and I have no idea what the problem could be. It seems like the engine is shifting fine when I'm driving but when I'm stopped at a light I kind of feel the engine sputtering (if that makes any sense). The sputtering could be my head because I'm paranoid, but based on what I've read so far in this thread, where and how can I get that test done to tell me whats wrong and how much would it cost? My car had the emissions and all those tests done just about a month ago and it passed with flying colours so I have no idea what the problem could really be.
Dysantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:36 AM   #17
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysantic View Post
lol, what are the chances? I just turned my car on today to see my "check engine" light on. Much like theboss I've got a 97 328i. Mines automatic and I have no idea what the problem could be. It seems like the engine is shifting fine when I'm driving but when I'm stopped at a light I kind of feel the engine sputtering (if that makes any sense). The sputtering could be my head because I'm paranoid, but based on what I've read so far in this thread, where and how can I get that test done to tell me whats wrong and how much would it cost? My car had the emissions and all those tests done just about a month ago and it passed with flying colours so I have no idea what the problem could really be.
Could anybody help me out? It would really be appreciated.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:15 AM   #18
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
Why are you guys just taking wild guess with the check engine light? So many different things trigger a CEL, just get it scanned and report back with the codes.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. It’s habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, I’m Nelson, and I’m a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:35 AM   #19
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

Thats what I'm asking about. Where can I get it scanned and how much does it cost? I was thinking of bringing my car into Bimmersport so that they could take alook at the auto locks for my car and then maybe they can test it. I would assume they have the tools to scan it, but don't know a heck of alot about check engine lights.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:05 PM   #20
Shane Bawa
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbojangles View Post
this is a terrible guessing game.. there is only one thing to fix and that is the thing that set the light on. guessing etc.. is just silly.

Get the code read... free at partsource. and report back to us. as long as you write down the code. you can have them erase it, and then see how long it takes to come back on.

Did you say FREE at partsource???? IS thsi true?? I just paid $80 to get my codes checked!!
Shane Bawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:28 AM   #21
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Bawa View Post
Did you say FREE at partsource???? IS thsi true?? I just paid $80 to get my codes checked!!
Yeah, its true. I went earlier this week and walked in, said I need it checked and they did it no problem. Told me what the code meant and even printed off the description. It's pretty sweet. lol

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: