Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-28-2015, 10:43 AM   #16
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga View Post
hockeyfan27, got an unrelated question. If I have a G license and then I'll get AZ license, would it reduce my premiums on a passenger car?
Unfortunately, no.

The passenger rating structure works on the basis that a G licence is the highest level attainable. The commercial licence classes are not considered.

1998 328ic - Sold
hockeyfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:30 PM   #17
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Cars being seized!

It doesn't seem like this issue is going blow over any time soon. While the municipalities and UberX duke it out, the ultimate losers will be the drivers who are caught in the middle.

Quote:
The City of Montreal’s taxi bureau has seized 40 cars in its latest pushback against UberX... The bureau revealed that an initial seizure results in a $500 fine and the cost of retrieving the car from an impound lot, approximately $1,000.
whole article here:
http://www.insurancebusiness.ca/news...rx-190890.aspx

1998 328ic - Sold
Old 05-05-2015, 09:53 PM   #18
B6T
2nd Gear Member

While I'm not too fond of a nanny state either, the current licensing and insurance regulations required for legitimate taxis are justified.

Let's say you get into a cab and the driver loses control, gets in an accident, and you are injured so bad that you're off work for a year. You suffer obvious financial losses and otherwise.

How do you think this situation would play out if you were in a proper insured and licensed cab versus if you were in the back of some dude from uber's 1997 Sentra where he hasn't disclosed that hes operating as a taxi?
B6T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:31 AM   #19
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Interestingly the City has dropped all insurance related charges against the 11 drivers they charged with operating a "commercial motor vehicle" without proper insurance coverage. The charges for permits and licensing remain.

Full article here

1998 328ic - Sold
Old 07-02-2015, 02:11 PM   #20
613EDRTY
2nd Gear Member

I foresee higher insurance premiums in our future, thanks uber
613EDRTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 02:30 PM   #21
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 613EDRTY View Post
I foresee higher insurance premiums in our future, thanks uber
Technically, under the standard Ontario automobile policy (OAP#1), carrying passengers for compensation is specifically excluded. So any claim occurring when the car is used for that purpose would just be denied, leaving Uber and the vehicle owner to sort out who pays. This is why the Uber insurance policy was ordered to be made public... just hasn't happened yet. I'm curious to see it.

1998 328ic - Sold
Old 07-02-2015, 04:36 PM   #22
613EDRTY
2nd Gear Member

Anyone here driving for UberX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan27 View Post
I'm curious to see it.

So am I.

The article you posted mentioned a grey area that considers an uber not to be a commercial vehicle. Somehow.

As an uber passenger there is no transaction with the driver, the passenger pays uber. Unlike a traditional taxi or traditional "underground" taxi where the compensation/payment is dealt directly with the driver/insured.

It will be interesting to see it all unfold.

On a side note, I took an uber yesterday, it said a Chrysler 300 was enroute to get me...driver showed up in a corolla.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:30 PM   #23
SickFinga

Quote:
So am I.

The article you posted mentioned a grey area that considers an uber not to be a commercial vehicle. Somehow.
The article states that Uber does not fall under the definition of "commercial vehicle" under the Ontario Highway Act.

Here is what OHA says

Quote:
“commercial motor vehicle” does not include,

(b) a commercial motor vehicle leased for no longer than thirty days by an individual for the transportation of goods kept for that individual’s personal use or the gratuitous carriage of passengers,
http://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90h08#BK41
SickFinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:31 PM   #24
613EDRTY
2nd Gear Member

I feel insurance company's consider it commercial regardless what the highway act says.

Uber needs to prove coverage for passengers, or drivers are going to require very expensive insurance policies. Same policy as a real taxi.

Should be interesting to see what happens.

After the Corolla yesterday and other no show drivers, I'll go with classic cabs again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2015, 10:38 AM   #25
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Quote:
I feel insurance company's consider it commercial regardless what the highway act says.

Uber needs to prove coverage for passengers, or drivers are going to require very expensive insurance policies. Same policy as a real taxi.

Should be interesting to see what happens...
Both personal and commercial automobile policies generate their rating from, among many other variables, the use of the vehicle. How the car is plated, who owns it (private or corporate) is often secondary to the actual use. It is common to have a privately plated vehicle rated as a commercial use.

When you use an online service to find passengers to chauffeur around in your car, you are going to be on the road more and there is a greater risk of an occupant in your vehicle getting injured.

Even if Uber provides coverage for passengers utilizing the service, the way the system works is that the vehicle owner is responsible for insuring the car. Therefor, whenever there is a lawsuit involving a vehicle, the vehicle owner is named in the suit. This means that if the vehicle owner (and their insurer) is always going to incur defense costs.
The issue an Uber driver is going to have obtaining reasonably priced insurance* is that there is currently no way for an insurance company to charge a moderate price for that additional risk. The only rating system that allows carrying passengers for compensation is a Taxi policy.

*relative to the market. Please don't go off on a tangent about how ALL insurance is unreasonably priced. I think we all agree on that.

1998 328ic - Sold
Old 07-03-2015, 02:00 PM   #26
613EDRTY
2nd Gear Member

California passed some new laws for uber drivers.

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/califor...ter-insurance/
Old 07-07-2015, 09:31 PM   #27
EMPIREM3
Catch me if you can.

Send a message via MSN to EMPIREM3
Update - looks like City of Toronto took Uber to court but did not win, judge ruled in favour of Uber.

http://www.canadianunderwriter.ca/ne...703793/?&er=NA
Old 08-28-2015, 09:36 PM   #28
Sanyanlayu
1st Gear Newbie

Make it strictly 'your" responsibility to get into an unknown individual's car for the purpose of transportation.
Sanyanlayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:06 PM   #29
PinkieMoscow
Jumped up G'd up.

Random Uber info - the numbers came out last week.

Most trips an uber driver in Toronto made this year; just over 10,000.
Most trips any one uber user took this year in Toronto just over 1400. (prob a drug dealer)
PinkieMoscow is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: