Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 08:26 PM   #1
Gmas
2nd Gear Member

Issue with Mechanic - Actual $ Much Higher Than Quote

So I have a bit of an issue and thought I'd get others opinions.

I took my E30 in to have some routine maintenance done along with a few other issues that needed to be addressed. Now I'm not a super mechanical guy - I mentioned a few specific items I wanted done, but also asked him to let me know if he came across anything else that needed to be fixed.

His initial estimate he gave me was $2-3K - a wide range because it's an older car and obviously there can be issues that crop up once you get going. I told him I was fine with that and left the car with him for a couple days. Obviously I was hoping it would be towards the lower end of that range, but I'd be okay if it crept toward $3K. When he called and said it was done, the final amount he gives me is about $4200. I was quite upset when he told me this as had I known it was going to be that high I would have seriously debated even doing the work.

Do I have any options at this point? I mean the work is done now.

Thanks for any opinions or advice on this.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #2
Red_Rocket
2nd Gear Member

If you had a written estimate, the total can not be more than 15% of the estimate without the customers permission. I can't remember what the case is if there is no written estimate, but if you read through 'the repair and leans act' that should tell you what you need to know.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

What the hell did they do? JHC.

I hope they are keeping all the old parts so you can see what they changed out. But that is insane.

Do you have a complete list of what was done?

Performance one step at a time.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:04 PM   #4
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
LOL, for 4k, you should have a new E30, and then some

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
Old 05-09-2011, 09:16 PM   #5
defaultName
5th Gear Member

OUCH!!!

'Routine maintenance done along with a few other issues that needed to be addressed' is a pretty broad statement. What exactly was done to the car?

Also, have you been to this mechanic before or do you know him somehow? Just curious because I find that people are more likely to get ripped off by people they know then people they don't.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:25 PM   #6
Blackedout95
6th Gear Member

$4k, rebuild the motor, new interior, sus, lol what else radio and speakers?
Old 05-09-2011, 09:32 PM   #7
Gmas
2nd Gear Member

Well it needed to have the timing belt done, new brakes all around, a bunch of other stuff.

He read me a lengthy list of everything that was done so it wasn't just a "That'll be $4200 please".

I've been to this guy before and believe in him and his work - and that's part of why this is so frustrating. This isn't just some random mechanic I was forced to take my car to - it's a normally reputable guy that comes widely recommended. That said, I'm disappointed with the fact that I wasn't made aware that the amount of work needing to be done increased, because I wouldn't have agreed to spend $4K+ on this car as much as I like it.

So just trying to figure out what my options are if any. I'll read up on the Liens & Repair Act - thanks for that suggestion.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:43 PM   #8
damameke
6th Gear Member

I think its a case of mis-communication by both parties..you trusted him and he did the same by not calling you to get permission of the extra issues he found...

I would make him aware that you are not happy of the surprise billing...maybe he will knock a $100....
Old 05-09-2011, 09:52 PM   #9
Gmas
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damameke View Post
I think its a case of mis-communication by both parties..you trusted him and he did the same by not calling you to get permission of the extra issues he found...

I would make him aware that you are not happy of the surprise billing...maybe he will knock a $100....
I keep trying to look at what I told him and figure out if I gave him mixed signals or was unclear at all - and I in all honesty don't feel like I was. When he gave me the $2-3K quote, I even told him I needed to take some time to think about if I wanted to put that much money into the car - it's not like I just said "sure go ahead" and gave him carte blanche. He knew that quote was at the top end of what I was willing to put into the car as is.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:58 PM   #10
davericher20
black and blue

ouch.
I know what that feels like.
Your back gets sore from bending over so much, nevermind your ass there's no feeling left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #11
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

You seriously got ripped off unless there is alot of stuff you aren't listing.

Timing belt & water pump shouldn't cost more than $500.
Brakes $600-700(including labour)

What exactly is the other stuff? List them all out, cost of parts and # of hours.
If he hasn't already given this to you I would demand a detailed break down. You should always insist that a shop gives you a price and calls you if anything additional is required.

Where is this place and what is the name?

Hopefully you live outside the GTA because you only have yourself to blame if you didn't atleast call one of the site sponsors for a quote.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:04 PM   #12
BmW1819
6th Gear Member

yea 4000k is crazy that's like every shocks all around / brake / bushing, control arms , tie rods, everything i would request to see parts
Old 05-09-2011, 10:04 PM   #13
Gmas
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
You seriously got ripped off unless there is alot of stuff you aren't listing.

Timing belt & water pump shouldn't cost more than $500.
Brakes $600-700(including labour)

What exactly is the other stuff? List them all out, cost of parts and # of hours.
If he hasn't already given this to you I would demand a detailed brake down. You should always insist that a shop gives you a price and calls you if anything additional is required.

Where is this place and what is the name?

Hopefully you live outside the GTA because you only have yourself to blame if you didn't atleast call one of the site sponsors for a quote.
There is a significant list of stuff - much more than brakes and timing belt. I'm in Toronto and the car is in Oshawa so I don't have a hard copy list - he just told me over the phone everything that was done, and admittedly it was fairly extensive.

I've taken the car to RMP in the past and I know Bimmersport comes highly recommended as well. The issue was the car was being stored at my parents place in Oshawa and I towed it to the garage. That said, I felt I was still being fairly picky with where I brought it. I've always been happy with the service from this place in the past.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:23 PM   #14
BenBMW
BMW Pure Blood

Send a message via MSN to BenBMW
4.2k? I demand a free engine swap!
Old 05-10-2011, 12:36 AM   #15
Bimmer Heaven
MaXsponsor

Sometimes spending $200-300 for a tow bill goes a long way!!!

For that $$$$ almost every mechanical part should be new on your car. I dont know what mechanic out there expects a customer to spend $4K on an E30 (unless major swap!), so he should have made it VERY clear that you are OK with the work (and price) of things being done!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E28 E24 E34 E39 E60 E61 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z3 Z4 F30 F32 F10 F01

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 100+ cars now in stock!
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: