Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Global MaXbimmer
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-21-2002, 03:45 PM   #1
M3ntal Kev
3rd Gear Member

Lapping Event w/Teutonic

Date: Monday, Aug 5th, 2002
Time: 9am-5pm (Full day lapping)
Track: Shannonville, Full-Track.
Cost: $140
Drivers: 20 max.

DETAILS:
We will be forming our own lapping group for Image Racing's lapping on Aug 5th.

They will have 3 run groups. A (advanced), B (beginners) and C (Teutonic). A and B are image racing people and Teuotnic guys can go on there if you wish.

C group is for Teutonic ONLY and no one else. 30 minutes per run group so we will get 30 minutes every 1.5 hours. they don't take lunch.

We get 5 - 6 half hour sessions minimum. In addition, C group (Teutonic) can run with A and B groups if you wish. This means you basically have the whole day (8 hours) of track.

We (Teutonic Group C ) will be running independently on track with strict BMWCC school passing/safety rules & etiquette and designated passing zones*. Helmet is mandatory. Previous driving school and solo lapping experience is highly recommended**.

Please feel free to ask any question regarding the lapping day by replying to this thread or contact kevin@teutonic.ca or frank@teutonic.ca.

*Passing zones (3 or 4 zones) will be determined shortly.

** Please email us if you are new to our lapping day and are unsure of your qualification. We welcome everyone but some simple qualification will be required to ensure everyone's safety.

PAYMENT:
Please contact our treasurer, Albert, at albert@teutonic.ca and Albert will give you the payment instructions.

/// M3NTAL Kev

M3ntal Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 04:44 PM   #2
GladdoM3
5th Gear Member

Count me in !!!!!!!!!!!

Sold My M3. Got a New Subaru STI
GladdoM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 06:12 PM   #3
'88 325e
5th Gear Member

M3ntal Kev,

I have no track or auto-x experiance and I should be getting my E30 back tomorrow (YIPPIE!). I will not be able to go since I have Bimmercruize '02 to deal with. My question is for me and any beginners what should we should start at first? Auto-X or the BMW driving school? I want to learn!

Thanx,
Dave

Randy(empowerd), Kevin(straight_6), and I (Dave aka:'88 325e) started up Bimmercruize '01. Bimmercruize '02 is on Sunday August 11th! So if you need details about the show please contact us!
L8R,
Dave

Last edited by '88 325e; 07-22-2002 at 06:15 PM.
'88 325e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 07:11 PM   #4
M3ntal Kev
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by '88 325e
M3ntal Kev,

I have no track or auto-x experiance and I should be getting my E30 back tomorrow (YIPPIE!). I will not be able to go since I have Bimmercruize '02 to deal with. My question is for me and any beginners what should we should start at first? Auto-X or the BMW driving school? I want to learn!

Thanx,
Dave
It would probably be best to start off with BMW Club driving schools or other reputable schools. This helps you understand the basics and gets you comfortable with your car and the the track environment. It doesn't matter how many schools you've done, you'll always learn something new each time. You'll also have an opportunity to meet some very nice people.

Auto-X is also another safe option for motorsports, but is very different from a track event since speeds are much lower.

Both will require a Snell 95 or greater certified helmet and a good attitude. Either form of Motorsport requires a good deal of discipline, respect for your and others' cars, and Ego's should always be left at home.

/// M3NTAL Kev

Old 07-22-2002, 11:12 PM   #5
SickFinga

heh, i always wanted to track my car, but after I found out what can happen my pants became warm
SickFinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 11:14 PM   #6
'88 325e
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SickFinga
heh, i always wanted to track my car, but after I found out what can happen my pants became warm
What was that? And I didn't need to know about your pants! LOL!

Randy(empowerd), Kevin(straight_6), and I (Dave aka:'88 325e) started up Bimmercruize '01. Bimmercruize '02 is on Sunday August 11th! So if you need details about the show please contact us!
L8R,
Dave
'88 325e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 11:31 PM   #7
SickFinga

i didn't know that speeds car reach 200s
also 1 mistake and you are in deep warm stuff when I saw track accident pictures. and I know that I'm dumb to amek that mistake
Old 07-22-2002, 11:35 PM   #8
SickFinga

Just look at the car

Old 07-22-2002, 11:37 PM   #9
SickFinga

Old 07-22-2002, 11:45 PM   #10
M3ntal Kev
3rd Gear Member

That's a lot of propaganda and scare tactics...

In any case, that's why its a good idea to take a driver's school before slapping numbers on the side of your car and racing. I think everyone should do at least one driver's school in their vehicle so that they can better understand it.

/// M3NTAL Kev

Old 07-23-2002, 04:04 AM   #11
mpower1226
6th Gear Member

image racing, the person that organizes the event
happened to be my friend and friends uncle.
i've been there the most of time..everyones very
friendly plus its really fun. i was just counting on the 5th
and bang you guys are comming, so hope to see you
guys there!.
also if you guys see me at the track, please let me know
mpower1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 09:52 AM   #12
got torque?
2nd Gear Member

So Kevin comes on here and extends an invitation, and you post pictures to try to scare people out of attending? WTF????

Exactly what is your point? (I couldn't find it).

If you do have an intelligent point to make (which I doubt), you should try to do it without the BS pictures, which are obviously taken from RACING mishaps (our first clue was the numbers and names on the cars, BTW.)

Let me help you, because you seem to be struggling: a LAPPING day is just that- LAPPING. Re-read the rules above and you'll understand how it works. It is not RACING. Believe it or not, there is a difference. Get it?
Old 07-25-2002, 10:33 AM   #13
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

I wasn't going to say anything but I think I will after this.

Those pictures are not BS as you "intelligently" pointed out, they are reality. 99.9% of people on this board have ZERO track experience.

Lapping, if you have experience and knowledge, is great. Lapping without either one is dangerous and can/will result in mishaps such as above. It is irrelevant if those particular pictures were taken during racing. Do people with no experience flip their cars during lapping days??? You don't have to answer this question.

"Let me help you, because you seem to be struggling: a LAPPING day is just that- LAPPING. "

And if I were you I would learn some manners first. You do not know Vlad, and you have never met him. Therefore, you have NO right to insult him. He expressed HIS opinion about this lapping day from HIS point of view, and he did NOT direct his comment at anybody in particular.

You maybe a track junkie, and know "everything" about driving at the track but come down to earth and put yourself in other people shoes.

SL

PS And nobody is bashing Kevin's invitation nor trying to scare people from attending. Opinions after all are just personal opinions, and one does not have to read them.

Quote:
Originally posted by got torque?
So Kevin comes on here and extends an invitation, and you post pictures to try to scare people out of attending? WTF????

Exactly what is your point? (I couldn't find it).

If you do have an intelligent point to make (which I doubt), you should try to do it without the BS pictures, which are obviously taken from RACING mishaps (our first clue was the numbers and names on the cars, BTW.)

Let me help you, because you seem to be struggling: a LAPPING day is just that- LAPPING. Re-read the rules above and you'll understand how it works. It is not RACING. Believe it or not, there is a difference. Get it?

Last edited by KIRASIR; 07-25-2002 at 10:37 AM.
KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 11:49 AM   #14
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to GR8 Ride
Quote:
Originally posted by KIRASIR
I wasn't going to say anything but I think I will after this.

Those pictures are not BS as you "intelligently" pointed out, they are reality. 99.9% of people on this board have ZERO track experience.

And your point to this is what? Are you saying that the people in those pictures were *innocent, inexperienced lappers*, or rather merely victims of an incident that occurred during a race? Looks to me more like race incidents, and guess what, contact during a race is nearly unavoidable.

The pictures (and their implication) is BS. This *was* a thread inviting experienced lappers to attend a track day, and one guy here posts that he'd like to attend, but after he *saw* what can happen, he got too scared. Simply put, that belongs in another thread entirely, and shouldn't have been put in a thread where it may very well scare potential future track junkies from trying it out.

Quote:

Lapping, if you have experience and knowledge, is great. Lapping without either one is dangerous and can/will result in mishaps such as above. It is irrelevant if those particular pictures were taken during racing. Do people with no experience flip their cars during lapping days??? You don't have to answer this question.

"Let me help you, because you seem to be struggling: a LAPPING day is just that- LAPPING. "

Ok, let's point out two things here. One, lapping days are generally aimed at the experienced or semi-experienced drivers. Yes, several organizations run lapping days without requiring any experience, and they do so without having any suitable driving instruction on site (in car or otherwise). Believe it or not, the VAST majority of these events stay safe and clean. Yes, a driver may go off the track, but this doesn't necessarily mean bent metal. To say that lapping is an absolute danger is mis-guided at best. As Rob points out, FAR more accidents occur on city streets than they do on a race track; in a lapping day, all the drivers are heading in the same direction, with an established and enforced set of rules governing that day. Generally on the streets, rules don't seem to matter to many people, and there is rarely someone around to enforce them.

I would rather have an inexperienced driver attend an open lapping day where I, or Got Torque? or someone else can actually help him develop his car control skills. To NOT attend a lapping day due to fear simply perpetuates the idea that it's a dangerous sport, which in reality, it's not. At least, not any more dangerous than driving to work in rush hour traffic in the morning...a task we all take for granted many days a week.

Quote:

And if I were you I would learn some manners first. You do not know Vlad, and you have never met him. Therefore, you have NO right to insult him. He expressed HIS opinion about this lapping day from HIS point of view, and he did NOT direct his comment at anybody in particular.

You maybe a track junkie, and know "everything" about driving at the track but come down to earth and put yourself in other people shoes.

SL

PS And nobody is bashing Kevin's invitation nor trying to scare people from attending. Opinions after all are just personal opinions, and one does not have to read them.

Manners have nothing to do with it...it's reality. Whether he intended it or not, Vlad's posts were in bad taste in response to what Kevin put up as a good faith invitation to members of this board. If Vlad had any fears he wanted to have addressed, this could have been done in a different thread, or via PM.

For what it's worth, Vlad offered his opinion, and somebody else disputed it. Your very last line indicates that if you don't like someone's opinion, don't read it. Take this to heart. If you're going to post something online for the world to read, be prepared to accept the fact that somebody out there may dispute your point. One doesn't need to *know* Vlad (or anyone else) to dispute their opinion. He disagreed with the general *tone* of Vlad's post, as you did to his, and I'm doing with yours.

For what it's worth, I don't care much for the *tone* of the pictures either; it paints the picture of driving schools and open lapping as a hazardous pastime. Whether this was intentional or not is irrelevant; perception IS reality in this case.

Pat

Last edited by GR8 Ride; 07-25-2002 at 12:49 PM.
GR8 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 12:26 PM   #15
got torque?
2nd Gear Member

Kirasir

Thanks for jumping in to play cheerleader for your buddy.

You could get hit by a bus when crossing the street- does that mean you never cross the street? NO.

There is ZERO to be gained by showcasing the worst-case scenario. Unless you know all of the facts leading up to the incidents shown in those photos, they have no place in this thread. They add no value whatsoever. If he had stated that "track driving can be risky", I would have agreed. Instead, he took the National Enquirer approach and inserted that crap.

The reason I object to such simple and uninformed generalizations is because I want to see more people take advantage of track opportunities. I just don't know why people would undermine Kevin's attempt to get people involved after he took the time to include this crowd.

Using scare tactics (and that's what they are) and photos taken out of context do not serve to promote track driving or driver education.

If you read carefully, you'll see that Kevin never invited inexperienced people out to the track day, so nobody is being invited to place themselves at risk.

You should get used to the fact that people may not always agree with you- life's like that.

GT?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: