Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Multimedia > Rides
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 03:57 PM   #301
cormier
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb_600 View Post
You're supposed to bend the UUC rod. If it's still straight, then yeah - do that.
Jesus you figure I would have thought of that when considering buying a pre-bent one. When I get the tranny back in, I should try bending the UUC rod as long as it will still be long enough bent. Its REALLY not that much contact, maybe 1mm is shaved off the guibo. That's good, then I can leave the rear bracket where it is and just make sure it stays there

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb_600 View Post
are you running solid transmission mounts? If so, then cut the carrier off and weld/bolt it to the transmission tunnel (that's what i'm going to do!)
I'm running the AKG alum. capped e21 mounts. You mean the front of the carrier onto the tunnel? And then the worry would be the transmission shifting a bit and putting stress on the rod/lever as they wouldn't move together

Good idea, I'm not an experienced fabricator though! I have to be careful with how much I bite off :p. On the weekend I'm going to take another look at everything

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #302
sb_600
5th Gear Member

Yup - IIRC the install instructions on the UUC rod tell you to bend it if it doesn't clear the guibo.

As for the carrier - you're exactly right. If you're running solid mounts, it's a non-issue, but if you have poly or rubber on the engine and/or tranny, you may get some play which could stress the selector rod joint.

This is what I'm going to do: cut at the red lines, mount (by welding/bolting) the middle part to a plate which gets bolted to the transmission tunnel. The only thing connecting the shifter to the transmission will be the DSSR.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ANI_shifter_height.JPG (7.8 KB, 246 views)
1992 BMW 325i (CHUMPCAR #296 - Metric Homes Racing)
1992 3.0L M52 325i (ex-daily driver - track car only)
2002 330Ci (ex-daily driver - sold!)

Last edited by sb_600; 02-13-2013 at 05:43 PM.
sb_600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:12 AM   #303
cormier
6th Gear Member

Ya. no shifter slop after that

A little steep, but this would also solve my guibo interference problem

http://store.bimmerworld.com/bmw-off...int-p1913.aspx

Think I'll end up with the JB/Clutchmasters combo from BW. Not going to chance the blue setup again.

http://store.bimmerworld.com/e36z3--...-kit-p743.aspx

Old 03-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #304
cormier
6th Gear Member

Got the JBR flywheel bolted up nicely, was verreryyyy careful to get it on evenly and well torqued. Surfaces all smooth beforehand.

Have to call Bimmerworld and confirm the clutch disc placement... There was a note saying that the spring pack on the disc MUST face the flywheel regardless of the stickers.... This is the sticker saying flywheel

But isn't this side the "spring pack" side?

Also got the steering guibo replaced with bolts and spacers, and got this piece to fit the filter nicely into the ABS space instead of it butting up to the expansion tank. Needs to be cut and fit a bit

Old 03-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #305
cormier
6th Gear Member

Got the clutch and PP on, called bimmerworld and confirmed the protruding side of the disc mates with the flywheel, which is machined to accept it.

Got started on the other side of my wiring tuck -- new wires are all routed through the fender and front clip, just gotta get around to actually soldering and wrapping the majority of them

Just getting around to installing my Momo hub, curious if I need to use this spacer with the hub (#4 in picture). The hub is missing the lip that the stock wheel has so I'm not sure it's needed....

Stock wheel

Momo hub

Also pulled my strut assemblies off to have a look at the e90 drop hats I'm using... There looks to have been some contact and grinding where I don't believe there should be. Probably will source stock e30 ones to be safe.

Got rid of my steering guibo while the trannys off. Punched out the metal inserts in the stock guibo and used those as spacers with stock bolts and metal lock nuts. As a result, everything fits together super snug-ly. Doesn't look flashy but its tight and there's no play whatsoever.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:23 PM   #306
cormier
6th Gear Member

Tranny all back bolted up, car started and runs like a charm now. The loose flywheel looks to be the sole cause of the knocking. The open exhaust sounded great and I'm really looking foreword to getting back on the road now.

Made a bracket to support the shifter carrier rear bushing as I don't have the chassis tabs like later models... Couple of bolts fixed that

Used an offset selector rod pin that should leave a bit of room for the guibo -- haven't test fitted it yet, may still have to bend the linkage a bit

May need a bit more trimming but got the intake sitting pretty nicely

Annnndddd got my Momo bolted on. Looks even sweeter in place than I thought

Now just the driveshaft, exhaust, itty bitty bit of wiring for the tuck and getting the front spindles back on (still need stock drop hats!)

Old 03-31-2013, 11:18 PM   #307
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Sorry buddy, I swear I'll look first thing tomorrow for those spring hats, I totally forgot!

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:47 AM   #308
cormier
6th Gear Member

Haha no worries dude I found plenty o work this weekend without them

Old 04-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #309
cormier
6th Gear Member

Got OEM drop hats cleaned up and installed

Front suspension all back together ready for the wheels

Wire tuck basically done, just debating on the best way to secure everything to the chassis neatly. Also on the hunt for rubber boots to protect the ground points a bit better.

Hopefully will have the driveshaft and exhaust back on in the next few days then were drivable!

Old 05-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #310
tofubomb
1st Gear Newbie

Amazing build thread cormier! I really wanted an e30 before but never found a nice starter. Subscribed!
tofubomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:32 PM   #311
cormier
6th Gear Member

Thanks dude! It's getting harder and harder to find the right shell but keep looking it'll come! It's gotta be one of the most rewarding cars to own and drive...

Haven't updated in a while:
Seats are back in with Massive brackets
Wire tuck is done and wrapped
Body panels are mostly back on
Suspension is together

She runs well, just stalls a bit on cold idle after boggling. I cleaned the ICV and seemed to help a lot, but it still tries for the first 10 seconds :S
Going to wire up an Engine Light soon and see if there's anything more going on.

Drives great so far (the extra two gears especially : p), just taking it easy on the new clutch right now. Also trying to get two broken bolts extracted from the hood which is quite the pain in the ass.

Hoping to make it out to the spring cruise

Old 05-11-2013, 09:40 PM   #312
cormier
6th Gear Member

Wired up a CEL quickly and found I have codes!

1247 - Secondary Ign Monitor
And
1222 - Lambda control 1

I don't know about the ignition monitor...
I sprayed some carb cleaner around the intake and such and didn't feel a change in idle at all so I'm not thinking I have a vacuum leak. I may meter the o2 sensor tomorrow and replace it if need be, but it was brand new so that's kind of weird :s. pll pull my plugs too and have a look

Also metered my coils, all have power and ohm out at 0.8 (spec)

Old 09-21-2014, 09:34 AM   #313
blk3
4th Gear Member

Any more updates.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:14 PM   #314
cormier
6th Gear Member

Unfortunately not really, been caught up with new house and new e39 540 . Got the e30 into the barn at the new place so hopefully I'll get a free day yo take look at it soon

Tags
build, dohc, e30, engine swap, s52

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: