Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #16
dcramer
5th Gear Member

so they claim, although the hotrod thing seems to contradict it
Old 03-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #17
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

First of all your car is not a hotrod if you have an S50, as the S50 was available in the E36 chassis.

And since your car is a 1998 car and came with OBD2 diagnostics, OBD2 diagnostics have to be 100% operational/functioning

And this is nothing new. You're not allowed to put an older motor into a newer chassis car. Plain and simple.

So if you swap your motor and you have a 1998 E36... you're allowed to put any OBD2 motor into your car that will allow you to keep OBD2 tests functioning.

You are NOT allowed to put an OBD1 motor in your car and you are NOT allowed to convert your OBD2 car to OBD1. It has always been this way, it just that in the past they never scanned the ECU so you could get away with it. Now you cannot.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #18
Dissembler
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
First of all your car is not a hotrod if you have an S50, as the S50 was available in the E36 chassis.

where are you getting this information? At the top of this thread there is a link and in it there is a guy who swapped an S54 into his E46 325Ci and it was etested under hot rod

And since your car is a 1998 car and came with OBD2 diagnostics, OBD2 diagnostics have to be 100% operational/functioning

And this is nothing new. You're not allowed to put an older motor into a newer chassis car. Plain and simple.

since when? i've seen lots of carbureted V8s in E36s

So if you swap your motor and you have a 1998 E36... you're allowed to put any OBD2 motor into your car that will allow you to keep OBD2 tests functioning.

You are NOT allowed to put an OBD1 motor in your car and you are NOT allowed to convert your OBD2 car to OBD1. It has always been this way, it just that in the past they never scanned the ECU so you could get away with it. Now you cannot.

In the governments own example they put a crate motor (with no emissions or OBD equipment into a vehicle that was OBDII compliant and tell you that it can be tested under hot rod. OBD has nothing to do with it if you are going for hot rod status
you're post requires clarification or where you are getting your information. Do you have a current drive clean repair (not just test) license?
Old 03-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #19
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissembler View Post
where are you getting this information? At the top of this thread there is a link and in it there is a guy who swapped an S54 into his E46 325Ci and it was etested under hot rod
From the Drive Clean/Government site (green box):

Quote:
since when? i've seen lots of carbureted V8s in E36s
So because you've seen something, that makes it legal? Like I said, because of the old emissions testing it was far easier to get away with it. But you simply cannot delete emissions systems from the car that initially came with it. Says so in the picture above, and an OBD2 ECU/system is an emissions part. It cannot be disabled/not connected. Same goes for OBD1 systems... or any type of lambda control unit actually. It's an emissions system, so you're not allowed to remove it and go to a carburated motor.

Quote:
In the governments own example they put a crate motor (with no emissions or OBD equipment into a vehicle that was OBDII compliant and tell you that it can be tested under hot rod. OBD has nothing to do with it if you are going for hot rod status
No where in any of the Drive Clean examples do they put an old motor into a new car. Especially not one with OBD II compliance. But you're welcome to show me where you think you've seen this.

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/environment...OD_098206.html

Oh and please do use the quote system correctly.. it's a real PITA to correct it all by hand when you reply inline.

Last edited by NOTORIOUS VR; 03-06-2013 at 10:38 PM.
NOTORIOUS VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:51 PM   #20
pearl_iroc
2nd Gear Member

Quote:

So much misinformation.

The op has a S54 swap, and can qualify as a hotrod, if he can provide proof (reciepts to prove when and what was swapped in etc)

YOU CAN put a older motor (NON OBD2) into a 98+ vehicle and qualify as a hotrod.

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/environment...8201.html#1999

Also dcramer : I read you e mailed them, I would go by what on their own web site and not what some yahoo may e mail you. This person could easily be misinformed. It may be easier for you to just say noting at the test facility and let them run their obd2 test as if it was still a s52.

Last edited by pearl_iroc; 03-06-2013 at 10:59 PM.
pearl_iroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:24 PM   #21
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl_iroc View Post
So much misinformation.

The op has a S54 swap, and can qualify as a hotrod, if he can provide proof (reciepts to prove when and what was swapped in etc)
The OP was asking about S54 and S50, I wasn't talking about the S54 now was I? Yes with an S54 it can be classified as a hot rod.. BUT he has to retain OBD2 compliance in either case.

Quote:
YOU CAN put a older motor (NON OBD2) into a 98+ vehicle and qualify as a hotrod.
Of course you can, but you need to keep OBD2 working on your car. It says so right on the Drive Clean page I linked above. So please don't tell me I'm giving misinformation when I'm showing you the Government states you HAVE to keep all emissions devices on the car including OBD2 working, unless you can prove that the drive clean site and emissions laws (can be found here: http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/reg...s_980361_e.htm) are incorrect.

Please don't act smug towards me if you cannot even back up what you're saying.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:34 AM   #22
pearl_iroc
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Of course you can, but you need to keep OBD2 working on your car. It says so right on the Drive Clean page I linked above. So please don't tell me I'm giving misinformation when I'm showing you the Government states you HAVE to keep all emissions devices on the car including OBD2 working, unless you can prove that the drive clean site and emissions laws (can be found here: http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/reg...s_980361_e.htm) are incorrect.

Please don't act smug towards me if you cannot even back up what you're saying.
In no am I try to act smug.
ON-BOARD DIAGNOSTICS SYSTEM TEST: (ALL LIGHT
VEHICLES OF MODEL YEAR 1998 AND NEWER)
Until December 31, 2012, a light vehicle that is compliant with OBD test standards is deemed to be in compliance with tailpipe testing standards. If a light vehicle is not compliant with OBD test standards, the light vehicle may be tailpipe tested, with the test results of the tailpipe test being used to issue an emissions inspection report. Effective January 1, 2013, a light vehicle must be compliant with OBD test standards. Light vehicles not OBD enabled and vehicles not compatible with the performance of the OBD test procedure referred to in Section 9.0.1 of t he Regulation will be tested using the Two Speed Idle Test as prescribed in Section 8 of the Regulation or the Test for Diesel Fuelled Light Vehicles as prescribed in Section 11 of the Regulation (diesel only). A light vehicle is required to be tested for compliance with the OBD test standards using at a minimum, the OBD test elements described below in Table 9.0.1A

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/stdprodcons...rod_080001.pdf

So basically you go there with your 98+ vehicle the with 97 or older motor (in which you'd probably get hot rod stats and they wont bother you about a port) But if you dont have hot rod stats, you tell the inspector/mechanic your vehicle is no obd 2. (You tell him you have a old motor that doesnt have obd2, you may need paper work to prove depending on shop) You have ALL the emission equipment from the 97 or older motor and functioning then theyd run a 2 speed idol test.

Also of note : MUST HAVE Equivalent to original emission equipment, equivalent being a key word as that could be argued many ways

Q: The owner of a 2005 Chevrolet vehicle installed a 2011 crate motor. (The 2011 crate motor was not designed or equipped with any emission components). What are the emission requirements?

A: This vehicle must:

meet the visible emission standards
meet the emission standards set for the original motor (2005).
have all emissions control equipment normally included with the replacement motor (2011), or its equivalent, attached and functioning. Since the crate motor did not come with any emission components, none are required.
meet or exceed the 2005 standards for that original motor if a provincial officer asks for a Drive Clean test. Although emissions control equipment is not required, without it, the car would likely fail the Drive Clean test.

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/environment..._098206.html#6

Last edited by pearl_iroc; 03-07-2013 at 12:58 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:50 AM   #23
Dissembler
4th Gear Member

Quote:

specifically

drive clean.jpg

sorry, what was that about being smug? We're trying to help a fellow enthusiast pass emissions. Why are you making this personal?

Last edited by Dissembler; 03-07-2013 at 12:53 AM.
Dissembler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:31 AM   #24
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
In no am I try to act smug.
ON-BOARD DIAGNOSTICS SYSTEM TEST: (ALL LIGHT
VEHICLES OF MODEL YEAR 1998 AND NEWER)
Until December 31, 2012, a light vehicle that is compliant with OBD test standards is deemed to be in compliance with tailpipe testing standards. If a light vehicle is not compliant with OBD test standards, the light vehicle may be tailpipe tested, with the test results of the tailpipe test being used to issue an emissions inspection report. Effective January 1, 2013, a light vehicle must be compliant with OBD test standards. Light vehicles not OBD enabled and vehicles not compatible with the performance of the OBD test procedure referred to in Section 9.0.1 of t he Regulation will be tested using the Two Speed Idle Test as prescribed in Section 8 of the Regulation or the Test for Diesel Fuelled Light Vehicles as prescribed in Section 11 of the Regulation (diesel only). A light vehicle is required to be tested for compliance with the OBD test standards using at a minimum, the OBD test elements described below in Table 9.0.1A

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/stdprodcons...rod_080001.pdf
LOL you're confirming what I am saying. You NEED to have OBDII compliance on an 1998 and newer car. You cannot get a two speed idle test on a non functioning OBD2 car that is model year 1998 and newer.

Quote:
So basically you go there with your 98+ vehicle the with 97 or older motor (in which you'd probably get hot rod stats and they wont bother you about a port) But if you dont have hot rod stats, you tell the inspector/mechanic your vehicle is no obd 2. (You tell him you have a old motor that doesnt have obd2, you may need paper work to prove depending on shop) You have ALL the emission equipment from the 97 or older motor and functioning then theyd run a 2 speed idol test.
It goes by the year of the CAR. Not by the motor. If you put a 1997 motor in your car and you have a 1998 car, you have to pass 1998 standards not the other way around. I cannot believe you aren't able to grasp this. And you will not be granted hot rod status on a 1997 motor from the same chassis in a 1998 car... regardless of displacement change. It says to plain as day on the Drive Clean site.

Quote:
Also of note : MUST HAVE Equivalent to original emission equipment, equivalent being a key word as that could be argued many ways

Q: The owner of a 2005 Chevrolet vehicle installed a 2011 crate motor. (The 2011 crate motor was not designed or equipped with any emission components). What are the emission requirements?

A: This vehicle must:

meet the visible emission standards
meet the emission standards set for the original motor (2005).
have all emissions control equipment normally included with the replacement motor (2011), or its equivalent, attached and functioning. Since the crate motor did not come with any emission components, none are required.
meet or exceed the 2005 standards for that original motor if a provincial officer asks for a Drive Clean test. Although emissions control equipment is not required, without it, the car would likely fail the Drive Clean test.

There is no argument.. There is only interpretation by the reader. But the rules are the rules. You CANNOT remove emissions systems from a car. This is what you any other people are not understanding.

If your car comes with OBD2 you cannot remove it. If you car has cats it cannot be removed regardless that the motor replacing it with doesn't come with it. It only means you need to attach the existing emissions systems to the new motor. In the example above (2005 car with 2011 crate engine) that means ECU, o2 sensors, EGR, air pump, catalytic converters that were present on the 2005 setup needs to be put installed and fully functional on the 2011 crate motor. You cannot simply ignore it and throw them away regardless of hot rod status or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissembler View Post

specifically

[i]attached image[/]

sorry, what was that about being smug? We're trying to help a fellow enthusiast pass emissions. Why are you making this personal?
What you're not understanding here is that you're not allowed to run no emissions systems. On a car that came with them. You clearly aren't able to interpret the laws correctly.

If you buy a crate motor, it doesn't come with emissions equipment because well, these are separate parts. But that doesn't mean you just slap the motor in and put straight pipes and a carburetor on the motor, it doesn't work like that. You need to apply everything the 2005 car had emissions wise to the 2011 motor at the minimum. If the 2011 motor comes with UPDATED emissions systems then you go one step further an install/replace the 2005 emissions systems with the 2011 systems.

It's not hard to understand here people, really all you need to remember here is you CANNOT remove emissions systems from ANY car. You cannot remove catalytic converters, you cannot remove O2 sensors, you cannot remove EGR, Air pumps and you cannot remove/disable/downgrade engine management systems just because you do a motor swap.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:21 AM   #25
pearl_iroc
2nd Gear Member

LOL
This thread will confuse more people, than help.

NOTORIOUS VR, You did not read my whole quote you just glanced at it lol ...... IF the 1998 vehicle has no OBD2 port IT MAY BE 2 SPEED IDLE TESTED. PLEASE re read

Effective January 1, 2013, a light vehicle must be compliant with OBD test standards. Light vehicles not OBD enabled and vehicles not compatible with the performance of the OBD test procedure referred to in Section 9.0.1 of t he Regulation will be tested using the Two Speed Idle Test as prescribed in Section 8 of the Regulation

yes 97 motor into a 98 chassis you go by 98 standards (I mixed up the years)
My example says nothing about hot rod status on a 1997 motor from the same chassis in a 1998 car.

What you don't seem to understand is the fact that some cars are able to pass (2 speed idle) e test without certain emissions equipment (egr,a.i.r etc. When you go for a e test in Ontario there no visual inspection) And that is good enough to get you paper work for your sticker. BUT if you are stopped road side without these you will be fined. If you vehicle chassis year came with it (emission equipment)then it must be there or an equivalent , except the obd2 (IF YOU PUT A MOTOR THAT WONT SUPPORT IT). You can replace emission control systems, devices, or parts as long as the replacements do the equivalent job as the original.

I like howyou completely dismiss this link as open to interpretation, when it comes directly from the ministry site. The point is no OBD2 and it will still get tested.

Last edited by pearl_iroc; 03-07-2013 at 02:32 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:51 AM   #26
dcramer
5th Gear Member

So first of all who said the engine was older ? It is 98 S50B32.

Second all emission equipment that came with the replacement motor is being attached.

I am more than willing to have it tailpipe tested. And the ministry does have the option to tailpipe test it. They do this for certain 98 vehicles that do not have ODB2
Old 03-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #27
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
LOL
This thread will confuse more people, than help.

NOTORIOUS VR, You did not read my whole quote you just glanced at it lol ...... IF the 1998 vehicle has no OBD2 port IT MAY BE 2 SPEED IDLE TESTED. PLEASE re read
No it cannot! You stopped reading at the wrong part of that document... Look at at Section 9.0.1, 1998 cars and newer NEED to be able to plug into the OBD2 port and communicate. If they do not communicate it is an automatic fail. I've also spoken to licensed emissions testers about this.

Quote:
What you don't seem to understand is the fact that some cars are able to pass (2 speed idle) e test without certain emissions equipment (egr,a.i.r etc. When you go for a e test in Ontario there no visual inspection)
Yes that is true things like EGR and air pump will not cause you to fail a two speed. But lack of a catalytic converter most likely will without some ticks.

But again you are wrong again, the drive clean technician is supposed to to a visual inspection known as the "Pretest Check":

Quote:
And that is good enough to get you paper work for your sticker. BUT if you are stopped road side without these you will be fined. If you vehicle chassis year came with it (emission equipment)then it must be there or an equivalent , except the obd2 (IF YOU PUT A MOTOR THAT WONT SUPPORT IT). You can replace emission control systems, devices, or parts as long as the replacements do the equivalent job as the original.

I like howyou completely dismiss this link as open to interpretation, when it comes directly from the ministry site. The point is no OBD2 and it will still get tested.
Listen, after some thought about it last night I can see the only way you would be able to run a car without emissions parts like in the example of the crate motor would be if you bought a crate motor from say Jegs or Summit.

Buying any other motor that is OEM you would have to fit the emissions testing equipment from THAT motor that was originally in place.

So that means if you put an S54 into an E36 you need to have cats, air pump, EGR, OBD2, etc, etc. If you put an S50 in your car you need to keep the air pump, EGR, cats but also KEEP OBD2 from your car.

There is currently no provision to test a 1998 or newer car without connecting to the OBD2 regardless of hot rod or not... If they cannot connect, you will FAIL. End of story. Putting in an older non compliant OBD2 motor does not let you remove it.

And again, putting an S50 will not make the car a hot rod since it was available in the E36 to begin with only in a different models.

Back to the crate motor thing, I would love to know how they define "Crate Motor" because theoretically, a crate motor starts with an OE block but has many variables changes like bore/stroke/head(s)/cam(s).

I wonder if building a motor to have different (combination of) cams/bore/stroke would be considered a "crate motor"

Last edited by NOTORIOUS VR; 03-07-2013 at 10:20 AM.
NOTORIOUS VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #28
dcramer
5th Gear Member

I'm fine with it being tested. It will pass.
There is certainly provision for 98 light-duty vehicles to be tested without OBD2. There were a number of vehicles which were manufactured without OBD2 in 98. They make provisions for them.

Also the law states that the Director has the leeway to allow an equivalent test.

An S50B32 was not available in Canada. And it's not an older motor. It is the same year as the car.

Ironically if this were a 97 I would be fine.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:00 AM   #29
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcramer View Post
I'm fine with it being tested. It will pass.
There is certainly provision for 98 light-duty vehicles to be tested without OBD2. There were a number of vehicles which were manufactured without OBD2 in 98. They make provisions for them.

Also the law states that the Director has the leeway to allow an equivalent test.

An S50B32 was not available in Canada. And it's not an older motor. It is the same year as the car.

Ironically if this were a 97 I would be fine.
In North America all cars that were sold after 1996 had to be 100% OBD2 compliant... so I don't believe you will find a light-duty car without an OBD2 port in 1998. They're clearly are giving one year grace period 1996 -> 1997 but from 1998 onwards you cannot pass without a functioning OBD2 port.

But again, I'd love to see proof otherwise that there are 1998 cars without OBD2 compliance because then you would have a case against them.

I see now you're talking about the S50B32 (over looked the part where it was a Euro Motor). I honestly don't know what to tell you, your euro motor should be OBD2 compliant since in Europe it was OBD2 already as well as far as I know.

Yes if you had a 1997 car you would be in the clear and get issues a TSI.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #30
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Quote:
In North America all cars that were sold after 1996 had to be 100% OBD2 compliant... so I don't believe you will find a light-duty car without an OBD2 port in 1998. They're clearly are giving one year grace period 1996 -> 1997 but from 1998 onwards you cannot pass without a functioning OBD2 port.

But again, I'd love to see proof otherwise that there are 1998 cars without OBD2 compliance because then you would have a case against them.

I see now you're talking about the S50B32 (over looked the part where it was a Euro Motor). I honestly don't know what to tell you, your euro motor should be OBD2 compliant since in Europe it was OBD2 already as well as far as I know.

Yes if you had a 1997 car you would be in the clear and get issues a TSI.
S50B32's do not have post cat sensors so not OBD2 compatible.

This is from the drive clean guide: http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/stdprodcons...rod_080001.pdf

It refers to Appendix D of the Drive Clean SOP will list the majority of vehicles the
ministry has identified as not being compatible with the OBD test.

And the directors ability to use an equivalent test.

8. TWO SPEED IDLE TEST GASOLINE FUELLED LIGHT VEHICLES
(AND OTHER FUELS EXCEPT DIESEL)
The following Two Speed Idle Test is to be used in the program up until December 31, 2012,
for vehicles unable to be tested using the dynamometer as described in Section 9.
The following Two Speed Idle Test is to be used in the program effective January 1, 2013, for
vehicles unable to be tested using the OBD system test as described in Section 9.0.1. This Page 5 of 20
will include vehicles with the model years 1988-1997, vehicles not OBD enabled or vehicles
not compatible with the performance of the OBD test procedure referred to in Section 9.0.1 of
the Regulation. Appendix D of the Drive Clean SOP will list the majority of vehicles the
ministry has identified as not being compatible with the OBD test.

Maximum emissions standards for the preconditioned Two Speed Idle Test are provided in
Table 8.
The procedure to be used is the preconditioned Two Speed Idle Test set out in the USEPA
publication EPA-AA-TSS-I/M-90-3 January 1991 Recommended I/M Short Test Procedures
for the 1990's: Six Alternatives.

A test may be used that the Director considers equivalent.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: