Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-27-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
cornflakecwl
1st Gear Newbie

Anyone done heater core on e34?

Replaced every heater/coolant hose on my car when it overheated this weekend, found out it's not there, it's either the aux water pump/housing or the heater core (water coming from frame rail but interior of car not wet at all). Bypassed both and unplugged the pump for now, when I get back from my honeymoon in a few weeks, I'll hook them both back up and figure out where the coolant is actually coming from. Just wondering if anyone has done the heater core in an e34 and how bad it is. I'd prefer to fix it myself (gonna wait till prob sept as I wo't need heat until then) but if it's only a $300-$400 job i may pay someone to do it. TIA.

95 525i 5 spd - WIP
cornflakecwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

ummm...I think the set up is the same as an e32 which means you are going to have to remove the HVAC system in order to get to it. This means-BIGJOB..which means $$$$. I remember the e32's coming for these and the techs had the whole interior apart just to get at it. However, I could be mistaken. :-) anyone want to chime in?

btw, the heater "tap" is what it's called was a common problem for e34 models. they usually malfunction/leak. No fluid in the cabin but external? then it can only be this.

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!

Last edited by Ceeker; 06-27-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
cornflakecwl
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceeker View Post
ummm...I think the set up is the same as an e32 which means you are going to have to remove the HVAC system in order to get to it. This means-BIGJOB..which means $$$$. I remember the e32's coming for these and the techs had the whole interior apart just to get at it. However, I could be mistaken. :-) anyone want to chime in?

btw, the heater "tap" is what it's called was a common problem for e34 models. they usually malfunction/leak. No fluid in the cabin but external? then it can only be this.
That was what I thought at first, but then I read that the heater box has drains in it? So the coolant wouldn't have made it to the interior. I guess I can order the heater valve seeing as it's only like $150 and since it's a relatively easy fix I can try that and see what happens. I just didn't see anthing more than a little bit of fluid in the area around/under the heater valve, but that doesn't mean it's not the problem. I'll try that first since I was going to replace it anyways when I did the heater core to elminate another possible breakage. After this pretty much the whole system has been done!! Good for another 5 years anyways...lol

95 525i 5 spd - WIP
Old 06-27-2011, 06:49 PM   #4
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

You're gonna have to take the entire console out to do it with any ease. Not hard, just a lot of digging. I would set aside a whole Saturday and just go at it - barring any snags you should be able to get it done I would think.
Nick_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:20 AM   #5
azzwot
1st Gear Newbie

i was there and i took pics, hope it helps a bit

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/body-...il-repair.html
azzwot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:49 AM   #6
BmW1819
6th Gear Member

u would see coolant coming from the middle of the car there is drains for the hear core. Do u have a pressure tester????
How much coolant are u losing??

Last edited by BmW1819; 10-01-2011 at 09:51 AM.
BmW1819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #7
JINT
5th Gear Member

if your windshield fogs up easy on the drivers side, than your heater core or the o-rings on the piping to the heater core are shot. This is probably the stupidest fix i've done. Really annoying and time consuming, but you should be able to get it done if your hands grow from the right spots.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:47 AM   #8
Bavaria
Southern Beirut

Send a message via MSN to Bavaria Send a message via Yahoo to Bavaria
this might help, if you got IHKA

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1328893
Bavaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:02 AM   #9
cornflakecwl
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks guys, it ended up just being the secondary water pump!! I replaced the heater valve and it was still leaking, bypassed the secondary pump and everything is good to go. Glad I don't have to do the heater core, that is now the last piece of the cooling system left to be changed.

95 525i 5 spd - WIP
Old 03-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #10
alex a
2nd generation///

easy job ive done it on my old 540 and tons of others pull centre of dash and centre console out make sure u replace the seals and don't crimp the o-ring or you'll be doing it again.........
alex a is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: