Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-01-2012, 06:11 AM   #121
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Only the american side needs to be informed, it is because you are exporting the car out.

In fact if you never plan on importing it back in you don't have to stop at all, nobody will check on the Canadian side.

The car does not have to be in your name on the Canadian side, you need the current registration signed over to you, and a bill of sale.

I did not register mine as I had it on a trailer. Why don't you have it shipped up here, there are companies which will ship it here. They will take care of all of the headaches for you

Absolutely no issue declaring it on the canadian side with the current title and the bill of sale.

The bigger part that you have not talked about is the recall letter. This will give you no end of grief. Get the dealer on the US side to give you the current recall status or you will be paying BMW canada huge for this.

Dave
dcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #122
mkgino
6th Gear Member

I assume by registration you mean title. You say you to have it signed over. Did you have a private sale or a sale from a dealership?? Just curious as to what supporting documentation you received from the dealership when they signed the title over.

As for letter, I have the vehicle history inquiry and I already submitted it to RIV and it was accepted.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:04 AM   #123
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
The Americans do not care about the title. They are just verifying that the vehicle is legal for export. Doesn't matter who's name the title is in, just make sure you have the bill of sale. In most states you can DRIVE on a bill of sale. (Meaning, you can legally drive a vehicle on the road for 25 days with your only licensing document being a bill of sale made out to you and insurance. Some states let you do this a-la steve jobs with no paper plates). Check with the state you are buying from.

The "TITLE" at the canadian side is something completely different. the RIV form 1 you fill out at the border IS YOUR TITLE until you take it to the MTO and they give you the green title you are used to.

The only thing i'm not 100% on is signing the old title, but call CBSA and ask.

The canadians do not need any advance warning that you are importing a car. Most RIV offices work round the clock. Remember the US export office closes at 4:30 in most places on most days. Try to avoid having to do 90mph throughout most of NY state to make it on time. (we made it though)

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #124
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Yes, registration is title. Which state are you buying it from, some do not provide temporary permits.

With a bill of sale I think you are fine. The car will not be seized by the americans, and the canadians only want your money.

Seriously for the price of this car if you are that worried get it shipped.
Dave
dcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #125
kenmar
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcramer View Post
Only the american side needs to be informed, it is because you are exporting the car out.

In fact if you never plan on importing it back in you don't have to stop at all, nobody will check on the Canadian side.
Dave
I know this is true for a fact because I missed the US Export office on a busy holiday weekend and had no turnaround option since the other direction was packed.

Neither CBSA nor MTO cared that I missed the US Export stamp. Now, I'd probably have my vehicle seized or be denied entry into the US if they put my name in a database ...
kenmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:09 AM   #126
Auto-links
MaXsponsor

Great info.
Thank you very much
Auto-links is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #127
Auto-links
MaXsponsor

Just brought up an e39 from the states.

Process was VERY easy,
for those who are considering searching for their dream car from the US

I would definitely say go for it!
Auto-links is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:29 PM   #128
jf1957
1st Gear Newbie

In wich year that idrive begin ?
jf1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #129
jf1957
1st Gear Newbie

The rule 72 hours before crossing the US border, is it a minimun ? Can it be 96 hours, what i'm saying is is there a maximum, just ask !
Thanks
Old 02-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #130
mudmojo
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf1957 View Post
The rule 72 hours before crossing the US border, is it a minimun ? Can it be 96 hours, what i'm saying is is there a maximum, just ask !
Thanks
It's a minimum. I crossed a week after faxing it in.

E39 M5
mudmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #131
jf1957
1st Gear Newbie

Do anybody knows the fax or email for New york state champlain custom on I87 ?
Old 02-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #132
dcramer
5th Gear Member

they publish their numbers on the 'net
Old 05-16-2013, 08:44 AM   #133
formula1nut
1st Gear Newbie

I am a newbie here so hope I don't mess up!
I am contemplating importing a 1991 850i; driving it across the border on my own. I understand that a receipt equals title but what do I do for licence plates? (both in the US and Ontario)

Thanks!
formula1nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #134
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Some states will give you a temporary permit. Legally you are supposed to get one in every state you drive through. I'm sure others have done it without.

Check with your insurance company to make sure you have insurance in the states under those circumstances.

I expect you do as most ins companies will cover a new car for some period of time with the bill of sale, but check first.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #135
ciaranf
1st Gear Newbie

So has no one found a way to order a new vehicle from the states? I have tried emailing a few dealers from NYC to Pittsburgh to Cleveland just to see if they are willing to sell. Only one has responded so far and told me it was ILLEGAL for them to sell me a new car. Is this real????

Can I not just get an American family member to put their name on it temporarily until I bring it to the border? Or can I just not specify what I'm doing with the vehicle after I buy it and give them my families American address?
ciaranf is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: