Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #31
Yamahammer
Warlock of the century

Interesting. I like the removable rad support, one thing I wish i had done with mine.

Why don't you just run a cx aluminum e36 rad....

Not to barn burn, but whats the logic behind creating this fortress of sheet metal in your bay?
Yamahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:05 PM   #32
subarooo
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahammer View Post
Interesting. I like the removable rad support, one thing I wish i had done with mine.

Why don't you just run a cx aluminum e36 rad....

Not to barn burn, but whats the logic behind creating this fortress of sheet metal in your bay?
Why would running an e36 rad solve anything? lol It would be too thick and the inlets are all wrong. You'll see he method to my madness by the end of the week hopefully!
subarooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #33
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahammer View Post
I believe he's trying to get that seamless tub look that all the show cars go for...

Old 02-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #34
Yamahammer
Warlock of the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by subarooo View Post
Why would running an e36 rad solve anything? lol It would be too thick and the inlets are all wrong. You'll see he method to my madness by the end of the week hopefully!
well you asked what to do for cooling, i assumed you were talking about which rad to use...

I thought that newman managed to use an e36 rad but I was mistaken.

Quote:
I believe he's trying to get that seamless tub look that all the show cars go for...
Again I must be missing the point, that looks as if it would take an obscene amount of time to have an outcome of that scale. Who cares how it looks.... how it runs is much more important no?
Yamahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #35
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
Ya, you're missing the point as he obviously cares how it looks.

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:02 AM   #36
subarooo
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW BMXer View Post
Ya, you're missing the point as he obviously cares how it looks.
Dingdingding.

Ive always had a soft spot for a clean bay. Seeing as its what I'll be looking at most of the time, I want it looking good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #37
Ryan1212
Some sort of something...

Quote:
Dingdingding.

Ive always had a soft spot for a clean bay. Seeing as its what I'll be looking at most of the time, I want it looking good.

Sorry if I'm mistaken, but I thought that "Shaving" an engine bay required cutting out the existing steel and welding in new panels. I have never seen a car been done with the method you are doing, seems kinda redundant to add more weight to the bay when swapping a motor for more power.

Don't get me wrong, i love the look of a nice shaved bay, but just confused as to why you went with this method....
Ryan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #38
cormier
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1212 View Post
Sorry if I'm mistaken, but I thought that "Shaving" an engine bay required cutting out the existing steel and welding in new panels. I have never seen a car been done with the method you are doing, seems kinda redundant to add more weight to the bay when swapping a motor for more power.

Don't get me wrong, i love the look of a nice shaved bay, but just confused as to why you went with this method....
I've seen it before, good result too. Gives it that clean look that stock e30s can't accomplish. More weight yeah, but the RB will make up for it

cormier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:22 PM   #39
Ryan1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormier View Post
I've seen it before, good result too. Gives it that clean look that stock e30s can't accomplish. More weight yeah, but the RB will make up for it
I've just never seen it before growing up around american muscle and hot rods, every bay I have seen is just cut the whole thing apart and start welding it solid.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:29 PM   #40
subarooo
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1212 View Post

I'm not worried about weight to be honest. The RB is already like 3 times heavier than a stock m20. And I bet my mounts alone are 30 pounds. I don't see a couple peices of sheet metal weighing me down.

Anyone else have rust under their fuse box? Geez I must have just cut out a foot of metal.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:33 PM   #41
Ryan1212

Quote:
I'm not worried about weight to be honest. The RB is already like 3 times heavier than a stock m20. And I bet my mounts alone are 30 pounds. I don't see a couple peices of sheet metal weighing me down.

Anyone else have rust under their fuse box? Geez I must have just cut out a foot of metal.

Got lucky with my car, almost no rust on it at all, its an american car, so as long as you deal with the airbag column which isn't too bad, all is good.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #42
subarooo
2nd Gear Member

Biggest update today... IT RUNS!!

Got the motor in on its own mounts yesterday and decided to wire it up.

Everything fits pretty proper, in this pic i have the radiator where it should be, as well as a 16 inch pusher fan and a greddy intercooler.

I test fitted the lights the other day and the tubing should have enough room to squeeze under the highbeam.

Quick pic when i first got it in, if you dont have a removable rad support... do it.

And heres the reason ive been slow with the updates, lets just say body work is hard one handed.

My hand slipped into the flywheel when the gas bottle fell into it. 6 stitches and a broken finger later... im pissed lol. And yes thats a race mower with a 12 horse motor on it. Red snapper ftw!!

Heres the video of it firing up,

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=...type=2&theater

If that doesn't work lemme know and ill get s direct link.

If it sounds like it pings its because only the flywheel is on in this video, also there is no o2, no maf, no intake, stale fuel, and one of the injectors is broken. Not bad

Thanks for watching so far guys, stay tuned!

Last edited by subarooo; 02-23-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #43
cormier
6th Gear Member

wow you make the RB conversion look easy, congrats on getting it running so fast

great idea with the removable core support too, im sure it helped x a million

good luck with the finger, that sucks. what else is left?

cormier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #44
subarooo
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormier View Post
wow you make the RB conversion look easy, congrats on getting it running so fast

great idea with the removable core support too, im sure it helped x a million

good luck with the finger, that sucks. what else is left?
Thanks man, its been very challenging but ive enjoyed it so far!

As for whats left, its basically just small stuff. I just ordered my massive brakes booster delete. I need a fuel pump, my drive shaft welded, power steering lines made, intercooler piping, downpipe, fuel lines and brakes lines redone and a custom fitting for my clutch slave. After that it should run and "drive", and i have to finish the engine bay when my finger grows back lol

I also just remembered the colour for the car has been picked and i found wheels i want, ill update that later.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #45
Wuzie
2nd Gear Member

Nice progress! Any way you can explain how you're making the rad support removeable? Which spot welds are you drilling out?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: