Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Classics
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #541
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
Maybe we'll have an E90 cage to do soon

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:42 PM   #542
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
Originally Posted by cormier View Post
Any special colour?
Nope, just simple black. Body colour would be cooler... but not on an old car IMO. Subtle is best here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
Maybe we'll have an E90 cage to do soon
Oh buddy!

So today I ran out to get paint. Mainly because, I've ****ing had it with Tremclad. I don't know what or why, but it seems like each newer can I buy, it gets worse. Shitty coverage, terrible adhesion, bits of shit in the paint, etc... So I've jumped ship to Armor Coat. Gonna see how this does on the interior of the car.

So I bought a few cans, however I didn't want a glossy cage, so I figured I'd mix it with some flat. Basically a 1/5 mix of gloss in flat paint. We'll see how it turns out when its dry!

And the fully painted cage! Still drying in the pic, thats why its glossy. I plan to paint the door bars later once they are in the car, because they are going to get scratched from the sleeves being put on, so I figured why waste the effort. I also gave the base plates a splash of paint inside the car so I can install it all tomorrow evening.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:53 PM   #543
BmW1819
6th Gear Member

Nice stuff
BmW1819 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #544
73 Tii
DSC off

Nice work Rudy. When will it be ready for Mosport?

70 2002 M2 2.5L
01 Dinan S3R (for sale)
73 Tii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:44 PM   #545
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Hey Kris, I am hoping to have it all back together and ready to go hit the track in April at the DDT. Hopefully the snow is gone by then

Old 01-22-2013, 09:37 AM   #546
73 Tii
DSC off

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
Hey Kris, I am hoping to have it all back together and ready to go hit the track in April at the DDT. Hopefully the snow is gone by then
Cool, should have the M2 ready by then. Will join one day soon

70 2002 M2 2.5L
01 Dinan S3R (for sale)
Old 01-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #547
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73 Tii View Post
Cool, should have the M2 ready by then. Will join one day soon
Good stuff! You definitely need to take your cars on track, you haven't experienced them until you do (IMO)!

After a couple days of waiting patiently (), the cage is finally dry, so this evening I set after getting it installed. With some careful maneuvering to get it inside the car without scratching it or the car majorly, I got the back half of the cage in with the help of my Dad, and bolted it down with the new shiny plated bolts. The front sections of the cage were a bit more strained as a few of the holes I had to drill a hair bigger in the base plates so the bolts would fit through without issue. I guess I must have tweaked something a bit while welding. Oops!

Anyways, eventually everything was set in place, and without a single scratch! I plan to paint the floor once more before final assembly. But I still need to test fit a few odds and ends before that happens.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:12 AM   #548
exbmwtech
2nd Gear Member

Looks great, wish mine was that clean.
exbmwtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #549
cormier
6th Gear Member

Nice cage! Shiny bolts adds a lot too

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #550
73 Tii
DSC off

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
Good stuff! You definitely need to take your cars on track, you haven't experienced them until you do
Agreed

70 2002 M2 2.5L
01 Dinan S3R (for sale)
Old 01-29-2013, 11:52 AM   #551
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Curiousity got the best of me the other day, and I had to try my Sparco Circuit that has been sitting in my room for some time. I still can't believe how this seat is so HUGE, and HEAVY. I had to reverse the side mounts in an attempt to push the seat over towards the middle of the car because the seat 'ears' come pretty close to the driver window when its closed. For the most part, I'll never drive with the window up, but still... its not to my liking.

Obviously, this is the Recaro. Nice, classy, and period correct.

And the Sparco. WTF. Not to mention, its a pain in the ass to get into the car now.

Umm...

Err.. Yeah... I don't like this.

Plus I feel like a friggin' tool sitting in such an old car with this retardedly modern seat. I always had commented and rediculed guys at the racetrack with their 'vintage' cars with modern safety gear (or any modern parts for that matter, but thats another can of worms I don't wish to dwell on right now)... I love safety just as much as the next guy, but lets be honest. Vintage cars are relatively slow, and they got away for the most part with the existing safety gear that was around back then. So why tart it up with strange crap that doesn't look the part???

Hey... whats that piece of cardboard on the floor?

Yup... first signs of life of my new dead pedal! I'm not really one for buying ready made shit, because I feel anyone and their mom can open a catalogue and order whatever and bolt it on their cars. The Massive Brakes dead pedal is usually the obvious choice for 2002s... but I have my reasons why I don't feel like supporting his products, plus why should I if I can make something myself thats better!

So I got to work with a slab of aluminum sheet. Luckily this time, because its such thin material, I can use the small dimple dies we have (which I couldn't use on my gas pedal because of the material type and thickness) and it came out pretty good. Still have to bend some edges and rivet it together.

Not bad!!

And lastly, a pic of the car for good measure since we forgot how it looks from all the parts pictures lately. Yes, I've been trucking along on the vinyl too. Mmmmmm....

Old 01-29-2013, 12:04 PM   #552
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Car looks good man! The red parts are vinyl?

The red makes the car pop, can't wait to see it finished.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #553
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Thanks Trev!! Yup, the red bits are vinyl. I will do the hood also to complete the look, but I want to source a fiberglass one and wrap that instead of my current rusty one on the car.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #554
BmW1819
6th Gear Member

Yea the red is nice touch
Love the cage ;-)
BmW1819 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:45 PM   #555
craz azn
6th Gear Member

^^ Thanks Nigel

Sooo... Dead pedal. Not entirely as elegant as I'd planned... but I'm happy with how its lookin' so far. Some minor changes were needed at the top to strengthen the mounting points (which look ugly IMO). At least its super strong. Don't mind that tab at the bottom, its just holding the dead pedal so it won't slide away on the floor since it isn't secured yet.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: