Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 6/8 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-16-2013, 08:44 AM   #1
gcunha
1st Gear Newbie

Unhappy Radio faillure

Hi All,

The radio goes out for a split second on my 6 series, and then it comes right back on. It looks like I'm losing current on my car, but only for a split second.
Anyone has experienced this problem or knows what it may be the cause of it?

Thanks in advance,
gcunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
TSI
Reverse Gear Member

Just the radio, or do the lights, etc also do that?
Also, when you say the radio dies, is it the sound, or does the whole unit shut off?
TSI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
gcunha
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSI View Post
Just the radio, or do the lights, etc also do that?
Also, when you say the radio dies, is it the sound, or does the whole unit shut off?
Thanks for the quick response. I believe that is only the sound, the unit stays on. it is so fast that i don't notice anything else shutting off.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
TSI
Reverse Gear Member

Does every speaker die, or just one or two? Does it happen in CD mode? Radio? Satellite? Every mode?
Old 01-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #5
gcunha
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Does every speaker die, or just one or two? Does it happen in CD mode? Radio? Satellite? Every mode?
All speakers turn off for a split second. I have not tried the other modes, but I will and let you know.

Thanks again
Old 01-17-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
gcunha
1st Gear Newbie

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcunha View Post
All speakers turn off for a split second. I have not tried the other modes, but I will and let you know.

Thanks again
I have tried the other modes and got the same result. Now the dynamic drive warning also appears when the sound faills, however if I restart the car the warning goes away.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #7
Conspiracy
1st Gear Newbie

Is this usually 1-2 minutes after you start your car? This happens in my M6 but only happens that one time and after it it's fine. Seems like a normal thing if that's the case
Conspiracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
TSI
Reverse Gear Member

Quote:
I have tried the other modes and got the same result. Now the dynamic drive warning also appears when the sound faills, however if I restart the car the warning goes away.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's a computer issue, then. Sorry, but that's out of my league...
Old 02-01-2013, 11:41 PM   #9
gcunha
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's a computer issue, then. Sorry, but that's out of my league...
Just discover one more common denominator: it only happens when it's very cold. Driving me nuts. Any feedback is appreciated.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:00 AM   #10
TSI
Reverse Gear Member

Quote:
Just discover one more common denominator: it only happens when it's very cold. Driving me nuts. Any feedback is appreciated.
Okay, that actually makes it easier. It could be one of two things:

1. You have a bad connection somewhere in the audio system...maybe a fuse, even. Metal shrinks when cold, so a bad connection could be to blame. Does it happen once only, or multiple times? Is it related to bumps on the road, slowing/stopping/starting, etc?

2. This is pure speculation (I know almost nothing of BMW stereos after 2000), but you may have liquid-cooled tweeters. If they freeze (below -10 or so), they might stop working to avoid damage.

Or, it might be a computer problem. I know playing with the headunit is a huge pain, but could you find another to try?
Old 02-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #11
gcunha
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Okay, that actually makes it easier. It could be one of two things:

1. You have a bad connection somewhere in the audio system...maybe a fuse, even. Metal shrinks when cold, so a bad connection could be to blame. Does it happen once only, or multiple times? Is it related to bumps on the road, slowing/stopping/starting, etc?

2. This is pure speculation (I know almost nothing of BMW stereos after 2000), but you may have liquid-cooled tweeters. If they freeze (below -10 or so), they might stop working to avoid damage.

Or, it might be a computer problem. I know playing with the headunit is a huge pain, but could you find another to try?

It happens multile times when it's cold, the only correlation I find is to the rpm. i.e. when I accelerate and rpm goes up, voila: it happens right of way. I'm doing very short rides these days, only to the train station and back ( less that 5 min. ). Today I will be taking the car for a longer ride. let's see what happens. Will let you know what happens on a longer ride and still very cold conditions.

Thanks a million for your reply.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #12
Euro_E30
6th Gear Member

Change your battery should fix your problem.
When battery charge is low it shuts off some consumers like heated steering wheel, seats and some times radio to allow enough voltage to start the car.
Short trips dont allow the battery to charge properly
Old 06-13-2014, 08:30 PM   #13
gcunha
1st Gear Newbie

Thank you for all the replies. Adding steering fluid solved the problem.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: