Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #1
///M325i
(OO==[lll][lll]==OO)

Question Dirt got into the intake manifold need help taking it off

I tried starting my e36 325i (1994) the other day. It did start then it immediately bogged and sounded like it was misfiring. The whole car was shaking and rumbling. It then sounded like it was going to die out, I though I could save it by pressing on the gas pedal after I did that it revved to about 2500RPM and then shut off. I tried to start it again after that but it would only turn over but not start. I don't want to damage my starter motors so I stopped trying to start it. I believe that some dirt, dust or sand must have gotten into the intake manifold. I need a diagram on how to take off the intake manifold as well has how to properly clean the manifold. I'm almost positive there is dirt in the engine or in the intake manifold if any one has had this problem please shed some light on what I should do or let me know if there are any tips, tricks or techniques I can used to make this process easier. I have taken off my intake already and have unscrewed some of the bolts that are attached to the intake manifold but it still seems to be pretty tightly fastened on to the engine.

Thanks.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

Sounds like you have vacuum, spark/timing, or fuel issues. Definitely NOT dirt in your manifold, unless of course, you are not telling us something.

KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
///M325i
(OO==[lll][lll]==OO)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRASIR View Post
Sounds like you have vacuum, spark/timing, or fuel issues. Definitely NOT dirt in your manifold, unless of course, you are not telling us something.
I checked the spark coils/timing and they seem fine and I know for sure its not a fuel issue either. My fuel pump is fine. I'm not too sure what you mean when you say vacuum there is a possibility the "vacuum" could be the problem but i don't know where or what it is or does. The reason why I say there is dirt in the engine is because my intake filter fell off while I was driving (don't even ask me how lol) and I didn't notice for quite a while. After it fell off and i had noticed, I didn't drive the car for about a week waiting on the filter and when I tried starting it the whole rumbling and shaking happened. Any possibility you know how to take off a intake manifold on a 1994 325i?
Old 01-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #4
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M325i View Post
I checked the spark coils/timing and they seem fine and I know for sure its not a fuel issue either. My fuel pump is fine. I'm not too sure what you mean when you say vacuum there is a possibility the "vacuum" could be the problem but i don't know where or what it is or does. The reason why I say there is dirt in the engine is because my intake filter fell off while I was driving (don't even ask me how lol) and I didn't notice for quite a while. After it fell off and i had noticed, I didn't drive the car for about a week waiting on the filter and when I tried starting it the whole rumbling and shaking happened. Any possibility you know how to take off a intake manifold on a 1994 325i?
http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...e-Manifold.htm

Given your descriptoin, I would take a closer look at your MAF sensor and any vacuum lines around the intake boot.

KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
///M325i
(OO==[lll][lll]==OO)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRASIR View Post
http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...e-Manifold.htm

Given your descriptoin, I would take a closer look at your MAF sensor and any vacuum lines around the intake boot.
Will do thank you very much for the step by step, and yes im going to take a look at my MAF sensor.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
///M325i
(OO==[lll][lll]==OO)

ok my suspicion was right on I just finished taking off my intake manifold and after giving it a shake dust, dirt and small sand like rocks fell out I have no idea how all this dirt got in there but it seems to me that this dirt would have had to get into the engine as well if its in the intake manifold. It also seem like there is a lot of dirt in the manifold I have no idea where to go from here . Do you guys think that the dirt would have gone into the engine? Because when I revved it seem normal for a second then died out. What should I do next after cleaning the intake manifold? How can I find out if the dirt went into the engine? Is there any thing else i should do? I am going to post a video tomorrow of my progress so far.

Thanks.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:12 PM   #7
///M325i
(OO==[lll][lll]==OO)

I took some pictures of my progress so far. What I need help with now is how to clean the various vacuum pipes and valve covers, what product should I use? Where can I find them and what is the correct way of cleaning these parts. As you guys will see in the pictures the sand like dirt was in the intake manifold itself and I assume that it went directly into the engine as well. What steps should I take now? I need help. In picture 1 the holes I've circled in white I need to know what they are and how to properly clean them as well as what I should use to clean them. Also in picture 1 I've put red lines over the pipes I think could be clogged with the sand like dirt, I would like to know if I should check these pipes and what I should use to clean them and how. And finally the green is the fuel line under the manifold, should i do anything to this? In picture 2 I have circled the sand like dirt that came out of the intake manifold in black. And its a picture of how every thing sits now. I want to clean all the pipes, engine area, manifold MAF, and filter as well as the valves then put every thing back together and see if the car will start, that is my basic plan unless any one on here thinks I should do other steps while I have every thing open.

Please help me on this i'm not too sure where to go from here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BMW 1.jpg (353.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg BMW 2.jpg (351.8 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by ///M325i; 01-12-2013 at 07:04 PM.
///M325i is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: