Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
maceng
1st Gear Newbie

Questions regarding E36 M3 tire wear

Hello everyone,

I am not an E36 M3 owner as yet but I am doing my research to understand the pros and cons of M3 ownership. I have been researching this topic for days. What I could gather is that rear tires wear is a common problem with the E36 M3's and, mostly, attributed to bad RTAB's and/or misalignment. The alarming fact is that these expensive tires do not last for more than 10,000-20,000 kms as a result. I hope that someone could give me some logical/scientific answer to my questions:

1. Is there a design flaw with the E36 M3 rear suspension that cannot be rectified?

2. Assuming that the RTAB's are replaced, proper alignment is done and with normal to occasional spirited driving, could these tires last a lot longer? if so, please share the type of tire and the kms you were able to obtain.

Thank you all.
Maceng

Last edited by maceng; 12-28-2012 at 10:04 PM.
maceng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
BmW1819
6th Gear Member

if u are hard on the gas than yea. I have a e36 m3 and don't have a problem with tire wear at all and am lowered e36 and e46 have same type of suspension sounds like a alignment problem with trailing arms and the wishbone u can adjust for alignment

trailing arm bushing can very in length of lasting again the more u slide your cars rear end around it puts more stress on the bushings

how are the tires wearing??? inside outside or the whole thread??

Last edited by BmW1819; 12-28-2012 at 09:36 PM.
BmW1819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
maceng
1st Gear Newbie

I am not an M3 owner as yet; just doing my research to see what am I getting into. The info I collected are from this forum and others. so you say that you do not have a problem with tire wear? how many kms have they lasted for you so far?
Old 12-28-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

What brand and model of tires are they?
Old 12-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #5
maceng
1st Gear Newbie

Hello T.Dot,

As I stated earlier, I do not own an E36 M3 yet but most owners complain about the super fast rear tire wear generally within 20k kms mark on summer tires like the super sports. Do you have a better experience to share?

thanks
Old 12-28-2012, 10:56 PM   #6
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Sorry for some reason I missed that.

I haven't had any problems. I got about 40k from a set of 18" falken 912s, but those are all seasons, UHP tires have much higher threadwear.
It isn't a design flaw, it's just that some owners don't maintain these cars properly or don't get proper alignments.

It also doesn't help that the factory alignment specs are not geared towards performance or threadwear. They sacrifice both for safety, also the reason 96+ M3s have a staggered setup instead of squared like 95s. This was to increase understeer which is safer for unskilled drivers.

Read this thread on bf.c to learn more.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=995556
Old 01-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #7
dcramer
5th Gear Member

rear tire wear is directly proportional to how heavy your foot is.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:08 PM   #8
328IScreamer
6th Gear Member

I have owned 2 e36s with no issues. Tire wear is definitely related to how you drive. Also, not to sound like a dick but if your not prepared for tire wear or expensive tires why buy a sports car?
Old 01-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #9
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

never had an issue.
anyone who says they eat tires is 1. a moron 2. has a car that needs bushing/rtabs bad 3. drives with a super heavy foot
Old 01-11-2013, 06:53 AM   #10
Dinanstu
3rd Gear Member

Buy half decent tires!
Having tires last an exceptionally long time isnt the necessary the best situation. Hard compound tires, or tires that get hard over time, takes away from the handling and joy of the M3.
AS 32Iscreamer said, it is a sport car. If you are planning to slap on some cheap all season tires, don't buy the M3...

I also agree with the Falcons. Not expensive and has good tires charactersitics in the sunshine and rain.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: