Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
Gleb
E30 ..?

Remote starter

I don't know anything about them. Don't need anything fancy, the cheaper the better, but don't want junk either, just to start the car, needs to have long range.

If you have any experience with these things, please share your recommendations. Toyota 4Runner, if that makes a difference.
Gleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
kenmar
3rd Gear Member

I picked one up from Ultra Audio (Max sponsor) at their last sale for a pretty good price but haven't installed it yet. They are having another sale at the end of this week.
kenmar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #3
Gurvinder
4th Gear Member

From what I have read and researched overall remote starters are not good for the car in the winter time. Instead of having the car sitting and idle it is better to get in and drive the car easy under 2500rpm so the motor gets lubricated under load. This way it is less wear on the motor and the car warms up quicker. If you Google I'm sure you will find loads of information on it. People argue this point both ways so you be the judge since its your car at the end of the day.
Gurvinder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
TSI
Reverse Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurvinder View Post
From what I have read and researched overall remote starters are not good for the car in the winter time. Instead of having the car sitting and idle it is better to get in and drive the car easy under 2500rpm so the motor gets lubricated under load. This way it is less wear on the motor and the car warms up quicker. If you Google I'm sure you will find loads of information on it. People argue this point both ways so you be the judge since its your car at the end of the day.
This. Let it run for 20 seconds max, then drive away.
TSI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

^Meh, if it's just a beater/dd then I'd rather get into a warm vehicle in the morning.

Here's my cool story, bro: I had a Ford 150 that I bought with one already installed. I park in the back of my property, near my kitchen. Lots of times I'd be in the living room near the front of the house watching hockey or whatever, get up to get a beer, and hear my truck running out in the driveway. The keys would be sitting on the table near the back door, and I don't have kids who might have played with the remote. I'm sure it was a cheap model, but it started happening often enough that I took the batteries out and said screw it.
Nick_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

I'm a fan of Compustar systems. Currently I'm installing a 1-WAMS unit in my beater, very nice finish and remotes, all the options an AM unit can have.

If you want really long range (like +800ft.), you need to start looking at FM units though.
SonicElectronix.com is an excellent and cheap source for these, whatever you do don't go to bestbuy/futureshop.

Not sure if a bypass is needed on a 1987 model, but the cheap solution (at least in my 2002 beater) would be to zip-tie an original key to the tumbler, and use a copy to start the actual car otherwise.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: