Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-30-2012, 03:02 PM   #16
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

most probably a secondary problem. sometimes one masks the other. T-state stuck open would just make the car run cool. temp gauge would be low. Clutch fan wouldn't engage properly. completely unrelated to engine revs moving up. the car even under cold start only increases engine revs slightly until the the car gets warm and the revs drop to normal 700prm. My car revs between 1600-2000k - with the car running rich. I suspect it's the AFM since when I unplug it the revs drop to normal with some sputtering to compensate for air/fuel adjustment. Car should stall when unplugged or very close to stalling. This isn't happening.

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #17
TSI
Reverse Gear Member

Fair enough. Assuming all vacuum lines are good, I'm out of ideas.
TSI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:02 AM   #18
RedEye
Hater of Previous Owners

Could be the coolant temp sensor (the one that feeds the ecu, not the gauge. The blue one iirc). After I fixed all my vacuum leaks the surging stopped but the car was running so rich it wouldn't warm start. The resistance of that sensor increases as temperature decreases; the sensor's internal resistance also increases with age and wear. So an aging sensor can be telling the ecu that the engine is a lot colder than it really is, hence running rich. When I got my car I think it was only running because the vast amount of unmetered air from the many vacuum leaks sort of balanced the vast amount of extra fuel from the dead CTS.
RedEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #19
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
Could be the coolant temp sensor (the one that feeds the ecu, not the gauge. The blue one iirc). After I fixed all my vacuum leaks the surging stopped but the car was running so rich it wouldn't warm start. The resistance of that sensor increases as temperature decreases; the sensor's internal resistance also increases with age and wear. So an aging sensor can be telling the ecu that the engine is a lot colder than it really is, hence running rich. When I got my car I think it was only running because the vast amount of unmetered air from the many vacuum leaks sort of balanced the vast amount of extra fuel from the dead CTS.
I do remember swapping that some time back with a used one. that does seem to make sense. it is running rich for sure. Well, that may need swapping out for a new one. However, the sensor is brass and the only resistance it could bring with it is the tarnish? that can easily be cleaned up with a wire wheel. I think the sensor is like 15.00 -20.00 at most. Worth a try. thanks for the input.

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #20
RedEye
Hater of Previous Owners

Cleaning didn't help mine, but yours might not be as far gone. I really hate working on engine electrical on these cars, the wiring seems so brittle with age I keep expecting the whole harness to shatter every time I touch it.
RedEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #21
Barry
1st Gear Newbie

Well the surge is gone , now it just doesn't want to idle when it is cold. I have replaced the ICV and it made no difference. I have a code that read ICV. Check engine light is on except under heavy acceleration. then it feels like a little back fire and the light is on again.

So my question is could the throttle positioning switch be pouched??? I am really at wits end with this issue. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #22
Dinanstu
3rd Gear Member

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...leshooting.htm
Old 01-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #23
Barry
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks I will check the tps tomorrow
Old 01-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #24
Barry
1st Gear Newbie

Throttle Positioning Switch is pouched. No continueity between 2 and 18
Old 01-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #25
Barry
1st Gear Newbie

So I have replaced the TPS and I have a beautiful idle and responce from the engine. Why does the check engine light keep doing the on /off thing?????? This is behound frustrating. The code still reads ICV, could this be associated to the 02 sensor? I am reaching for anything at this point.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #26
Barry
1st Gear Newbie

I took a stab in the dark and replaced the computer. Bingo light went out. Now I am getting a back fire once and awhile when I am coming off the gas, Check Engine light flickers. Any ideas what might cause that?????

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: