Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Classics
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-24-2012, 10:11 PM   #1
Eau_Rouge
2nd Gear Member

1980 BMW 320i

I have a 1980 320i that I purchased with the intenion of installing an e36 M42 engine and transmission. That said, I have no use for the stock M10 and 5 speed transmission. The car odometer shows 88k. The car being a local GTA car since new has very little corrosion with the largest rust spot being about the size of a human palm on the driver's side floor by the clutch pedal. This is only surface rust. The rest of the floor in the car is in perfect shape. What I'm trying to get at is that given the rust situation, it appears that the odometer reading is accurate. Please note that given that I am not the original owner, I cannot confirm that the odometer reading is accurate althought the UVIP that I got from the seller does state mileage as 88k.

Anyway, I'm going to proceed with my engine and trans swap so I would like to know if there is any interest in the M10 and transmission in my car. The engine hasn't been started in a few years but does turn over freely. I'm planning on doing a compression test in the next few days as well. If anyone is interested in the engine and/or transmission, please let me know.
Eau_Rouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #2
cormier
6th Gear Member

PM 'craz azn' , he was looking for a spare tranny for his 2002 a while ago

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
Eau_Rouge
2nd Gear Member

Engine is free to anyone who wants it. It turns over freely on the starter motor. It currently doesn't start...isn't getting fuel or spark. Given that I'm swapping motors, I'm not going to spend too much time trying to get this one to run so if anyone wants it as is, you can have it free. You get everything but the starter and some missing air filter housing parts. PM me if interested otherwise it will be pulled and taken to the scrap yard.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:58 AM   #4
nickdaytona
2nd Gear Member

Hey there ! Did you can the motor ? get back to me if not -Thanks !
1968 Ford Mustang-Noni's summer car
1972 '02- son Alexs' first car
1997 BMW 740iL-Moms' pimp car
1990 GTR - the missile
1990 VW Corrado-422 HP @ 23Lbs.
1975 Kawi Z-1 900
Assorted dirt machines
nickdaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
Eau_Rouge
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdaytona View Post
Hey there ! Did you can the motor ? get back to me if not -Thanks !
Nick, the motor has gone to a new home, you missed it by a week and a half.
Do you still have that e21 parts car, I'm looking for the AC system if you do...thanks.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:46 AM   #6
nickdaytona
2nd Gear Member

No worries ! Call me next week and I will see what I have for you
1968 Ford Mustang-Noni's summer car
1972 '02- son Alexs' first car
1997 BMW 740iL-Moms' pimp car
1990 GTR - the missile
1990 VW Corrado-422 HP @ 23Lbs.
1975 Kawi Z-1 900
Assorted dirt machines
nickdaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
Eau_Rouge
2nd Gear Member

Engine bay is bare with the exception of my steering rack which is still attached to the linkage attaching to the steering column. What's the secret to removing the steering rack and linkage? I only see one through bolt at the bottom of the linkage attaching to steering rack which I've removed but the rack wont slide off. I've also soaked it in penetratant but no luck, could the splines on the rack be seized...what am I missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks.

On to building adapter plates to properly fit the e36 front crossmember...
Old 10-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #8
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
There should be a crack in the U joint where that bolt was... try to wedge something in there to spread it a bit and spray more penetrant in there.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #9
Eau_Rouge
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
There should be a crack in the U joint where that bolt was... try to wedge something in there to spread it a bit and spray more penetrant in there.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

A few pics.

Engine bay with the hopefully soon to be removed steering rack.

Parts that will be up for sale after the conversion is complete. Parts are in really good shape, very dirty and some very light surface rust but that's it.

Differernce between the e21 and e36 crossmembers.

I believe I measured the space between mounting points of the e21 as 710 mm (bottom crossmember) and the e36 at 790 (top crossmember). Unfortunately it doesn't appear that I will be able to use the stock e36 engine mounts as it looks like they will hit the frame rails...

As I've stated before, I'm going to have to make an adapter plate that will mount to the stock e21 crossmember location and will allow me to mount the e36 crossmember. Difficult to explain without a picture but this will allow me to center the e36 front suspension/rim/tire in the wheel well. Gotta get the e36 PS rack and coilovers first...

Also, just thinking ahead here. I'm sure I'll have to change the brake master cylinder given that I'll be inheriting much bigger brakes. Any suggestions? I hear the e12 master cylinders are a direct fit, is this recommended or will the stock e21 master cylinder suffice?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: