Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-04-2012, 12:19 AM   #1
limenuke
2nd Gear Member

Post-Overheating Discovery!

Hey guys,

So I found out that:

1) My engine is fine after overheating.
2) My cooling system isn't.

The first time I overheated, it was because the fan had jammed against the the cooling hose which runs across the top of the fan shroud. The hose got pulled off its mount and I lost all my coolant. On top of that, the hose caught the fan and basically jammed it. That was bad. I didn't know what would cause that so I just ziptied the hose back onto the shroud, got a new fan and fixed the shroud to the radiator with a screw + nut, thinking it was the shroud coming loose off the radiator.

Today, the fan exploded while I was driving it back after it was parked. Immediately before it was parked, I was teaching someone how to drive stick and they had come close to stalling the car several times (jostling the engine). The heavy jostling + probably worn motor mounts probably drove the fan blades back into the hose, causing it to jam once more and snap all the blades off...

Thinking about it, the first time the overheating happened was shortly after I was teaching the same person how to drive manual.

So I guess my question + moral of the story is:

1) Is there a safe and proper way (besides replacing the shroud) to tuck away that coolant hose that runs across the top of the shroud, if the tabs on the shroud are gone?

2) How much is it to install new motor mounts? Could that be the reason why my fan managed to move enough to jam into my coolant hose?

3) Don't let your old ass car be hack-driven by a person learning to drive manual!
limenuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:41 AM   #2
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

maybe you should fix your car properly the first time to avoid this situation from actually happening twice? Hack driven? or hack car? Sorry man, but that isn't a good enough excuse. Those were problems waiting to happen.

worn mounts or broken mounts are obviously causing the motor to tilt under load enough to physically dislodge the hose and cause problems. then you are gonna run into that problem or another again.

so now you're up to bat a potential third time. fix it right the first time. start from the source..the mounts and work from there.

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:53 AM   #3
limenuke
2nd Gear Member

True! Well, I wasn't quite aware of the issue the first time, but now that it has made itself clear again recently, I'm going to deal with it properly.
limenuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #4
davericher20
black and blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceeker View Post
maybe you should fix your car properly the first time to avoid this situation from actually happening twice? Hack driven? or hack car? Sorry man, but that isn't a good enough excuse. Those were problems waiting to happen.

worn mounts or broken mounts are obviously causing the motor to tilt under load enough to physically dislodge the hose and cause problems. then you are gonna run into that problem or another again.

so now you're up to bat a potential third time. fix it right the first time. start from the source..the mounts and work from there.
Ruthless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #5
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

yeah..facts are the facts...nothing personal. :-)

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
someguy
Singhy

Ouch...but I agree, fix it once, the right way, and you won't have problems. I would be especially careful with the cooling system as we know that these cars are very sensitive to overheating and cooling system issues are not uncommon.
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
iverson03tj
5th Gear Member

Do it one time.... and Do it right! especially when it comes to the e36 cooling system...
e36 328is - (m52)AA S/c'd, M50 Mani, 3.23 LSD, M3 Brakes, Zimmer rotors, hps pads, Racing Dynamic Strut Bar, Depos, m3 Bumper, Intake, Spal fan, poly RTABs, Eibach Swaybars, Koni yellow, Mishimoto Rad, Silicone hose, Alumi T-housing, Depo w/LED Angels, LED tails, 12' Alpine Type R, Suede head liner, LTW Low rise spoiler
PREVIOUS CARS
92' 325is (m52) - M3 conversion AA S/c'd
'97 Euro Estroil E36 M3 Vert (S50B32)
iverson03tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:47 PM   #8
SamE30e
6th Gear Member

Yes your engine mounts could cause your fan to come into contact with your rad or hoses, and it would be quite obvious that the engine mounts were damaged or worn to that point.

And there is a specific routing for rad hoses.
02 325i Sedan
SamE30e is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: