Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > London, Ontario **NEW**
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
sooze30
1st Gear Newbie

wanted to clean: dirty rims

This does sound a little wacko, but yesterday I cleaned my bottle caps with something not intended for car wheels, especially baked-on brake dust.

This isn't some sales pitch, I won't be selling the stuff. I want some kind soul to come to my house so I can clean their rims. I want to see how it does on really bad brake dust. The kind we see all over: a brown, orangey tinge to otherwise decent wheels. It also removed little hunks of tar!

It is an aerosol, water based, non-toxic cleaning product intended for gunky build-up on baseboards. I decided to try it on my car because nothing else was working and I didn't want to spend an hour on each wheel.

I wish I'd taken some before/after pics.

I know this sounds crazy, but I'm curious. I want to see if this product has other uses, because I make it where I work and to find another use would be cool. I just want to be sure before I bring it to the engineers/marketers for them to try. It is a 3M product.

Bring me some dirty rims!
Susanne

pm me for my address, number, etc. thanks!
sooze30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
crxgsr
BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooze30 View Post
yesterday I cleaned my bottle caps with something not intended for car wheels, especially baked-on brake dust.
After reading your message, I still haven't determined if the outcome was good or bad. You only wrote "I wish I'd taken some before/after pics."

What was the result of your experiment?
crxgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
sooze30
1st Gear Newbie

The outcome was definitely good! I want to clean someone else's wheels and take before / after pics. Can't believe how well it worked.

Oh well. You guys are just too meticulous I guess.
sooze30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:54 PM   #4
R2D2
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooze30 View Post
This does sound a little wacko, but yesterday I cleaned my bottle caps with something not intended for car wheels, especially baked-on brake dust.

This isn't some sales pitch, I won't be selling the stuff. I want some kind soul to come to my house so I can clean their rims. I want to see how it does on really bad brake dust. The kind we see all over: a brown, orangey tinge to otherwise decent wheels. It also removed little hunks of tar!

It is an aerosol, water based, non-toxic cleaning product intended for gunky build-up on baseboards. I decided to try it on my car because nothing else was working and I didn't want to spend an hour on each wheel.

I wish I'd taken some before/after pics.

I know this sounds crazy, but I'm curious. I want to see if this product has other uses, because I make it where I work and to find another use would be cool. I just want to be sure before I bring it to the engineers/marketers for them to try. It is a 3M product.

Bring me some dirty rims!
Susanne

pm me for my address, number, etc. thanks!
whats the secret 3m product?
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: