Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
BMWdouche
Not Banned... Yet

Can anyone with an OBDII Scanner help me out in North York?

Gentlemen,

I've recently discovered through investigation of a CEL yellow light that one of my MAF wires is slightly bent. I would appreciate one of you fine lads helping me out by scanning my car with an OBDII tool before (invariably, I'm sure) have to shell out a large sum of money to buy a replacement.

Much, much appreciated.

Good day!
BMWdouche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
Dinanstu
3rd Gear Member

Which wire are you referring too? A "sightly bent" wire would hardly mean buying a new air flow meter...
What code gave you that initial diagnosis?
Old 09-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
BMWdouche
Not Banned... Yet

Code explained below:

Upon visual inspection - I saw that the MAF wires were bent outwards (I probably botched it installing my new short-ram and not paying enough attention)

Cleaned it out with MAF cleaner.. power surging significantly improved and smooth.. but I feel like I lost over 50hp in the motor and I can hear the gurgling of the extra fuel hitting the cats on the way out.

Checked all my seals and couplings and all seems to be good and tight.

Here is my code:

P0175 OBD-II Trouble Code
Technical DescriptionSystem Too Rich (Bank 2)

What does that mean?Basically this means that an oxygen sensor in bank 2detected a rich condition (too little oxygen in the exhaust). On V6/V8/V10 engines, Bank 2 is the side of the engine that doesn't have cylinder #1.

Note: This DTC is very similar to P0172, and in fact your vehicle may show both codes at the same time.

SymptomsYou will more than likely not notice any drivability problems, although there may be symptoms such as a misfire.

CausesA code P0175 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters can cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled
There could be a vacuum leak.
There could be a fuel pressure or delivery problem
Possible SolutionsPossible solutions include:

Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace if necessary
Clean the MAF sensor. Consult your service manual for it's location if you need help. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling
Inspect fuel lines for cracks, leaks, or pinches
Check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail
Check the fuel injectors, they may be dirty. Use fuel injector cleaner or get them professionally cleaned/replaced.
Check for an exhaust leak before the first oxygen sensor (this is unlikely to cause the problem, but it is possible)
Old 09-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
Dinanstu
3rd Gear Member

Has the distance from the MAF to the intake been reduced significantly with the RAM?
You need a certain minimum distance for the MAF, of hand not sure what that is!

The diagram I saw for the air flow meter is very close the filter, about 5-6 inches
That could explain why a spacer may improve the performance. If you were so inclined, I would put it back to stock and see if the problem goes away.

Turbulance at the MAF will read incorrectly...

Unless you have severed one of the wires, I doubt that is the problem...
Old 09-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

I can read an obdII code for you, but i'm in Ajax, work downtown M-F(9-5).
or i'll be at mosport this weekend if that helps.

PM me if you wanna set something up
Old 09-07-2012, 10:39 PM   #6
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

I can read the code for you too, but this weekend is completely impossible for me. if you still need it done monday, pm me.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual-1 of 1 - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:. 1 of 8
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #7
BMWdouche
Not Banned... Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
I can read the code for you too, but this weekend is completely impossible for me. if you still need it done monday, pm me.
Thanks fellas - but i went and got my codes read at autosource and it came up with the p0175 too rich code.. so now just struggling with the intake and seeing what the hell is causing this. Thanks again.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #8
BMWdouche
Not Banned... Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinanstu View Post
Has the distance from the MAF to the intake been reduced significantly with the RAM?
You need a certain minimum distance for the MAF, of hand not sure what that is!

The diagram I saw for the air flow meter is very close the filter, about 5-6 inches
That could explain why a spacer may improve the performance. If you were so inclined, I would put it back to stock and see if the problem goes away.

Turbulance at the MAF will read incorrectly...

Unless you have severed one of the wires, I doubt that is the problem...

Stu.. you were absolutely right...

It wasn't the MAF.. i dismantled everything and took my time piecing the whole intake back together.. TIGHTLY and securely this time.. cleaned off my MAF very well with MAF cleaner.. and did a A+ job putting it all back snug and snappy..

CEL light vanishes.. vacuum seal after all...and the car is running strong.

Now I have an extra MAF being shipped to me due to impulsivity...I'm off to the classifieds section

Old 09-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #9
Dinanstu
3rd Gear Member

Glad to hear its running strong. Also glad to hear that the RAM intake system is fine as it is and not an issue.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: