Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Ontario
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-31-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
46er
1st Gear Newbie

Importing a car from UK to Canada

Hey guys just have a quick question maybe someone on here has done this and can fill me in. I was looking at e36 m3's for sale in the UK and the prices seem really good. I mean 96 m3 evo for 7k cnd. Now importing that car to Canada is probably going to add another 2k i was wondering if anyone has imported a bmw or any vehicle from the UK to Canada and what it took to do so. Is there shipping companies that will take care of all the paper work or do you have to arrange that with the seller and get them to load the car etc. anyways this is just a thought becasue seems like there is no shortage of euro spec e36 m3's and the prices are very attractive. any and all feedback is greatly appreciated cheers and thanks

Art

Last edited by 46er; 08-31-2011 at 09:45 PM.
46er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:21 PM   #2
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
www.willz.ca

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:23 PM   #3
vintagez
2nd Gear Member

www.riv.ca
you may be eligible for the 15 year exemption
vintagez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:29 AM   #4
SFX Group
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SFX Group
has to be 15 years or old PERIOD, if its not you wont get it in. Even then your need to alter it to be able to drive it in Ontario.

$500 from BMW for the recall letter then money for DRL (as they can be programmed, about $70), i moved here from the UK (silver one below was in the UK)

© Copyright 2014 - www.ashleygriffin.ca ::: Click to see my current second hand parts :::

::: My Videos :::
::: LED side indicators ::: Navigation Mk2 to Mk4 upgrade ::: Glovebox position damper ::: 740Li 2013 tour ::: Voice Control teaser trailer :::

>>> Click picture to see car used on TV as James Bond car <<<

SFX Group is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
marek
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFX Group View Post
has to be 15 years or old PERIOD, if its not you wont get it in. Even then your need to alter it to be able to drive it in Ontario.

$500 from BMW for the recall letter then money for DRL (as they can be programmed, about $70), i moved here from the UK (silver one below was in the UK)
If it is 15 years or older it doesn't need any alterations, recall letters or be registered with the RIV. I've imported several cars from Europe and am very familiar with this process.

All it will need is a safety and emission test.
marek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
^^still needs to be RIV registered but its exempt from admissions criteria.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:45 PM   #7
SFX Group
2nd Gear Member

Its not RIV, its MTO, RIV does the stuff for anything under 15 years old, however you are correct same method, just no test for RIV as there not worried about it.

However you do still need recall letters, i did my 18 year old motorcycle and yes it still needed DRL lights which i did, Canadian Tire just check them to make sure they work.

© Copyright 2014 - www.ashleygriffin.ca ::: Click to see my current second hand parts :::

::: LED side indicators ::: Navigation Mk2 to Mk4 upgrade ::: Glovebox position damper ::: 740Li 2013 tour ::: Voice Control teaser trailer :::

Last edited by SFX Group; 08-02-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #8
marek
5th Gear Member

If you actually paid for the recall clearance letters then you just wasted money they are not necessary. I did my own paperwork and customs clearance on all the cars I brought in.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #9
SFX Group
2nd Gear Member

I did all my own paperwork and RIV where adamant they would only accept BMW Canada recall letters, (BMW have changed something in the past 5 months (according to my dealer, whos service manager has also imported BMW cars), i have just completed all the paperwork in the last 3 days.

Unfortunatly what ever happened in the past doesnt seem to worry RIV, they only accept what they want to now.

The idea of this thread isnít to tell others what to do, only what I did to make sure I got a car in as quick as possible, I know I wonít be trying to get a USA recall letter, itís pointless, RIV wonít accept it, just done this 3 days ago!

I also notice the letter from BMW states my car complies with certain legal safety requirements in Canada as well which put Canadian Tire in there place about certain things like Airbags, bumpers etc... So its not just a Recall letter, its a Certification compliance letter as well. Also BMW checked over the chassis and core computers to make sure none where stolen and the chassis was fully intact meaning i know i have a safe car as well.

This means weather anyone thinks its a "waste of money" to get a BMW recall letter, the fact remains on 1 August 2012 my car would not past compliance until i had one (which it now has and is now a Canadian car).

The above only applies to anything younger than 15 years old, also i am in ON. So that may change in other areas

Last edited by SFX Group; 08-04-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #10
marek
5th Gear Member

Yes younger than 15 years you need the recall clearance letter and to register it with RIV and do all the stuff with Canadian Tire. My experience is with vehicles older than 15yrs.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #11
SFX Group
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marek View Post
Yes younger than 15 years you need the recall clearance letter and to register it with RIV and do all the stuff with Canadian Tire. My experience is with vehicles older than 15yrs.
Ive done one older than 15 years (Motorbike) was easy, however i found getting the recall letter for that was alot harder, i didnt get charged a lookup fee, however was told by Honda (bikes) they dont always do it (maybe as they cant find them, depending on the country, this was from the UK).

Not involving RIV seemed abit easier as the list was alot lower to hit, i remember when i did it (2009) they where talking about raising it from 15 years to 20 or 25 years, not sure thats even possible to get a car 25 years old to comply (which maybe the reason they wanted to raise it).

Old 08-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #12
SFX Group
2nd Gear Member

Major spreadsheet update, well worth a look at the link, now you can compare a Canada car to a USA import car with real costings.

http://www.ashleygriffin.ca/temp/e38/import-costs.xls

Old 08-06-2013, 06:04 AM   #13
duuuude
1st Gear Newbie

SFX Group, I am curious. You've stated that the vehicle must be 15 years old or more to import, yet you've managed to import your 98 BMW in 2012. How did you do this?

I am living in the UK and am looking to bring a vehicle with me to Canada, trying to determine the options available.
duuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:40 AM   #14
SFX Group
2nd Gear Member

Hi

Any vehicle outside north America has to be 15 years or older (they have been thinking of upping this to 20 years or more for the past few years).

Any vehicle designed to be sold in North America (USA or Canada as shown by the VIN number) can be brought in to Canada from any age (this applies to second hand vehicles).

So one of my motorbikes was 10 years old from the UK, however it was originally a USA bike sold in the UK so I can bring it "back" as it was originally sold in USA (this applies to the VIN number, that's how they determine this).

My car (Black 750iL 2000) was originally sold in USA, therefore I was able to import it to Canada. I didn't import my 1998 BMW (the silver one) I had to sell it as I could not import it.

Send me a direct message and I will forward my phone number so we can talk, its not an easy process from the UK when you read all the websites.

Last edited by SFX Group; 08-06-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #15
duuuude
1st Gear Newbie

Ahhh OK, thanks for the quick response.

I specifically would like to bring a car from the UK that is newer (not brand new though). I was hoping I could get away with just paying a bit of import duty, but looks like that is not the case. I'll have to dig around and see if I can find a car older than 15 years that's worth it. So disappointing, the prices are amazingly better in UK for cars than in Canada.
duuuude is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: