Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
Bimmerized
In BMW We Trust!

Send a message via MSN to Bimmerized
Should I buy a 97 328IS?

A dealer/friend that I know has this 97 328is 5 speed that he needs $1500 for. It has 240,000km, and it's pretty decent. AC works, almost no rust, and he'll certify it for me. Leather, alarm, 2 owners, etc. All stock, with 16inch rims, black in color.
It needs a tune up, check engine light is on, and when flooring it, it cuts out at 5k rpm. I just figured tune up, or smth minor.
It drives good, no shaking, or noises, it pulls hard (well until 5000rpm lol)!
What you guys think, is it worth the $1500?
Bimmerized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Sounds like a good deal. As long as you don't mind spending a bit more to get it running good you'll still come out ahead as decent ones go for $4-5k.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
Lang75
220 Kph, E39 on Autobahn

I agree it sounds like a good deal. On the matter of rust try to get a look up under the at the rockerpanels, the plastic cover does a good job at hiding the potentially expensive repair.

When you say it cuts out at 5000 rpm, does the engin stall or is it the rev limiter, or does it just have no power? It might be a vanos issue?

I paid about $6000 for mine Jan 2010, with 192K at the time. So you do look to be getting ahead so long as you don`t have any major issues. One thing to bear in mind is that being an OBD II car is that some of the electronics are not interchangable as they are vin specific. (the instument cluster for one)

Please keep us posted.
Lang75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:44 AM   #4
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lang75 View Post
I agree it sounds like a good deal. On the matter of rust try to get a look up under the at the rockerpanels, the plastic cover does a good job at hiding the potentially expensive repair.

When you say it cuts out at 5000 rpm, does the engin stall or is it the rev limiter, or does it just have no power? It might be a vanos issue?

I paid about $6000 for mine Jan 2010, with 192K at the time. So you do look to be getting ahead so long as you don`t have any major issues. One thing to bear in mind is that being an OBD II car is that some of the electronics are not interchangable as they are vin specific. (the instument cluster for one)

Please keep us posted.
What's this about vin specific on OBDII? I don't think so...

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:47 AM   #5
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

^ EWS alignment.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:11 AM   #6
Lang75
220 Kph, E39 on Autobahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Flyview View Post
What's this about vin specific on OBDII? I don't think so...

In my case three weeks after buying my e36, I had a complete failure of the instrument cluster. I did not take it to a dealer, and instead took it to a shop which I have gone to for years and have trusted them for their honesty an the quality of their work (and no, not Bob's backyard).

The issue did indead stem from the instrument clsuter, and was advised that the clsuter would need be replaced, and that they are programmed to match the computer (ie vin specific), and that a used one could not be reprogrammed. I had purchased and aftermarket warrenty, and the warranty company stressed on either using a recycled or to have the unit rebuilt. The garage advised that this was not the proper way to do the work, and refused to perform either option stating that if such work was to be done it would not be by their shop.

In the end the total repair came to $2400.00, of which I was left with a bill of $1000.00 for the diagnostic work that the warrenty did not cover.

I was not impressed with the way the warrenty company handled their business, and they appear to operate the way an insurance company would but without any of the regulations imposed by legislative acts. My only solace in the matter is that they paid out more than twice what I paid for in the contract.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
The issue did indead stem from the instrument clsuter, and was advised that the clsuter would need be replaced, and that they are programmed to match the computer (ie vin specific), and that a used one could not be reprogrammed.
Just because they don't know how to do it, doesn't mean it can't be done.

Your shop doesn't know BMWs well enough, you could have had this done for the cost of a used cluster and ews alignment programming by one of our forum sponsors. Sometimes it's worth it to get a second opinion.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
Lang75
220 Kph, E39 on Autobahn

Well the shop at the time had three former Budds BMW mehcanics, so I would have thought that they would have sufficent experience in these matters.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #9
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Well the shop at the time had three former Budds BMW mehcanics, so I would have thought that they would have sufficent experience in these matters.
Dealer mechanics don't usually know much about fixes on older cars, especially when it comes to used parts.

Most dealer mechanics spend the majority of their time doing maintenance jobs and warranty work on newer cars.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #10
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Interesting, I didn't know the cluster was linked to the EWS. But yea, definitely easier ways than spending $2400! That's insane, it should've cost you $100-200 max. How did they end up doing it?

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
sold

Old 06-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #11
Lang75
220 Kph, E39 on Autobahn

Well the cluster itself was around 1100.00 new, and it was sent out for programming which was a couple hundred more. The rest was spent in diagnostics and labour.

I did not begin to frequent this forum till last year as I bought the car based on my love of driving BMWs. I just find the electrics to be particularily tempermental as I now have a what I belive is a ZKE IV failure which I am trying to source out for a used one.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #12
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Quote:
Well the cluster itself was around 1100.00 new, and it was sent out for programming which was a couple hundred more. The rest was spent in diagnostics and labour.

I did not begin to frequent this forum till last year as I bought the car based on my love of driving BMWs. I just find the electrics to be particularily tempermental as I now have a what I belive is a ZKE IV failure which I am trying to source out for a used one.
That's unfortunate since as you've learned a $80-100 used cluster should also be able to get "aligned" (reprogrammed).

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
sold

Old 06-14-2012, 08:31 AM   #13
blk325i
3rd Gear Member

it's not necessary to do an ews alignment when changing clusters, just throw in any e36 cluster and your good to go

to lang75, sorry to hear you got screwed out of so much money
blk325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #14
BimmerBoys
3rd Gear Member

^^^ i'me on my 3rd cluster. never alligned any of them!

unless you're talking about the odometer being changed to match the actual milage?
BimmerBoys is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: