Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #16
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR View Post

sure bearings wear out but plastic fails a lot more than the bearing wears out.
Bingo!
Old 06-10-2012, 10:55 PM   #17
Maple
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinanstu View Post
This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

...I think we'll change all our pumps to plastic impellers at work here, so to take the load off the bearings and save money....I mean what do engineers know about roatational and vertical forces and heat on bearings?
...Good luck with your plastic, high tech impeller...
I always laugh when I come across people like you , you're thinking in 1970s mind and will never get out of it.

Technology progresses and people like you still dont believe anything and think its all BS.

I've yet to see an Original(I want to specify that, Original , not some china crap) plastic impeller fail before 140-150k kms . I already posted what my impellers lasted to but some last much much longer. Let me ask you how many KMs is on your metal one ? And how many have you replaced?

There is a reason why BMW went to Plastic impeller, better quality and better durability.

But if you choose to live in the 70s all your life then its fine , keep your metal one.
Maple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:56 PM   #18
Maple
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR View Post

You got some experience with it?
Maple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:23 PM   #19
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple View Post

I've yet to see an Original(I want to specify that, Original , not some china crap) plastic impeller fail before 140-150k kms.
That may be your experience, good for you but...

My last 2 both experienced a bad platic impeller before 140k. In fact we were joking around how the first one went at 120k and since I had 114k on the second one it was almost time. Well about a year later guess what!

Not only that the running joke became a joke because of what we see on a daily/weekly basis. It is not a case where all that hit 120k+ fail, but even a small majority is considered a promblem. If just 1 out of 10 failed it is too much and becomes a known issue.

If you believe bmw is so wonderful with their decisions then explain why they now send metal as a replacement in some models? What happened to their super duper plastic?
Old 06-10-2012, 11:25 PM   #20
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SiR

Quote:
You got some experience with it?
LOL it's almost like youre asking to pick a fight.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:56 PM   #21
pawelgawel
3rd Gear Member

ill join in this ckock fight...

i replaced many pumps before and never considered the difference untill i worked on a vw. i always used oem or oe and hence why i didnt question the quality. The original vw pump impeller from a 2l fell apart when in my hand when i applied some pressure. I used Geba metal in stead and im glad i did.
But buying a pump for my BMW i chose to go with OE manufacturer Saleri and im not questioning this iether. i actually need to check if its composite... i think it is.. but it will last another 150k in mo.

cant go wrong with OE
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #22
Dinanstu
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
I always laugh when I come across people like you , you're thinking in 1970s mind and will never get out of it.

Technology progresses and people like you still dont believe anything and think its all BS.

I've yet to see an Original(I want to specify that, Original , not some china crap) plastic impeller fail before 140-150k kms . I already posted what my impellers lasted to but some last much much longer. Let me ask you how many KMs is on your metal one ? And how many have you replaced?

There is a reason why BMW went to Plastic impeller, better quality and better durability.

But if you choose to live in the 70s all your life then its fine , keep your metal one.

Thank-you for your sarcastic and idiotic response.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...water-pump.htm

I work in this industry, even metal impellers are not equal across the board...

Get your facts straight before the "mine hasn't failed yet" babble..
Dinanstu is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: