Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-06-2011, 11:10 PM   #16
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Quote:
Originally Posted by signsmith View Post
Hey guys, I was looking at BSW also, I have an '04 330..

I was thinking of changing the head unit like you guys were talking about, but isn't it tied into the car? I set my clock in my dash with my head unit..
Yes, you lose some functionality swapping the headunit. You'll also want to keep your factory headunit in case you need to integrate your car with a GT1 (for diagnostics, disable DRL, etc) , it wont work without the stock radio

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:55 PM   #17
Singe
BGDorcol

I'm also thinking of getting BSW and the only reason is it just looks so complicated and time consuming to look for different speakers and components and how would i wire them, since the HK have the male/female jack? Would i just cut it off and rewire directly to new speakers?

Thanks.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #18
Lang75
220 Kph, E39 on Autobahn

I too was considering a BSW kit as I was not satisfied with the sound quality in my E36. I ended up replacing the dech with a JVC unit which had a great deal of functionality and adjustments for the sound levels. After tweaking the settings I found that the stock speakers were able to produce some very acceptable results. It has lead me to postpone replaceing the speakers and the cost of the deck was less tham $200 with a wiring kit from Best Buy. (an added bonus is that the display is able to be matched to the orange interior lighting)

Last edited by Lang75; 06-07-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Lang75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #19
orange260z
gearhead

I recently upgraded my H/K stereo in my '05 330Cic with BSW components. I did the full upgrade (minus the rear mids, which were backordered) plus their ib110 infinite-baffle subwoofer that fits in the stock armrest location.

Considerations for me were that I wanted to keep the factory head unit for stealth and integration, I didn't want to have to modify panels or speakers to make them fit, and for the sub I didn't want to lose any of the already-limited trunk space (with the top down). I'm 42 years old, and I wasn't looking for a competition system or something to share my music with the entire city, but I do listen to a broad variety of music and wanted to be able to listen at decent volume levels with the top down... and be able to feel the bass with the top down, which is a challenge.

Before taking the plunge, I installed a mid-2000s (ie US-made) Rockford Fosgate Punch amplifier, nominally rated at 150W RMS mono but likely putting out over 200W RMS. To that, I connected a Energy prefab (ie factory-tuned) ported 10" enclosed subwoofer that normally rocks my full-sized SUV with less amplification. However, in the Cic I found that all of the bass was absorbed in the trunk, even with the ski-pass completely removed. For me, that ruled out any in-trunk solution.

Fast forward to my BSW install. Note that I am using my RF amp rather than the one that BSW currently supplies - their ib110 originally shipped with an RF amp very similar to mine, so Jason and I thought it was worth trying even though their new amp has slightly more power (I think around 250W RMS). Their kit was easy to install, and it turns out that the ib110 packs more than enough punch for me. I haven't even cranked it yet (still breaking in) but I find that it can pound the back of my seat even with the top down.

The speaker kit was also a pretty simple install, the most time-consuming thing was applying all of the sound deadening to the doors - that likely took me over an hour per door. The rest was pretty easy.

The speakers are much clearer than the H/Ks, particularly with cleanly-recorded music. They can also crank up quite a bit louder with clean recordings than the H/Ks did. For most classic rock, jazz, funk, hip-hop the system sounds great. Where it falls a little short is any music that is poorly-recorded or is "busy" - so for example playing Lady Gaga's "Telephone" that has built-in distortion, they sound is even more congested; Same goes for Katy Perry's "Teenage Dream". The same songs play much better in the Bose system in my wife's Suburban. Billy Joel's "Baby Grand" sounds phenomenal on the new system, though, as good as my fairly pricey home system.

Overall, it was an excellent upgrade. Customer service from Jason and Jeremy was always prompt, personal, and helpful - overall a great experience.

Cheers

2005 BMW 330Ci M Sport Convertible
1970 Porsche 911 T / 2.7RS-spec
orange260z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:29 PM   #20
Marksjaanis
BMW Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by necie View Post
I have the original Harmon Kardon deck mounted Cd player...I'm not happy with the sound. Considering replacing the speakers with a kit from Bavarian Sound Werks. Anyone done this? Suggestions?
thanks,necie
Honestly, replacing the head unit is the best way in terms of quality. You wouldn't believe how good Your OEM speakers can play with an aftermarket unit. But the main dissadvantage is poor dashboard view with an aftermarket. That's why I upgraded the speakers in my car and left OEM head unit for a clean look. Sound quality is better, but I still know that it would be like day and nite with aftermarket unit.
Marksjaanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:28 AM   #21
dahliagonzal
1st Gear Newbie

yes this will surely make an improvement of sound

low testosterone in men
dahliagonzal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: