Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-29-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
SubDad
2nd Gear Member

Sell or fix 325iS, or franken30?

Hello MaxBimmers.
Long-time lurker needs advice and input.

Short story: I now have two E30s. Probably one too many, if such a thing is possible. One is an 88 325iS - cool car, Zinnabarrot, got all the toys, goes like heck. Rotted 'frame': all the parts that are supposed to be strong aren't. Safetied last year via a guy with a sense of humour.
345,000 km.
Just bought the new one, an imported from Serbia European 86 320i 4-door, 6 cylinder 2 litre. 240,000 km showing, but apparently the odometer doesn't meter odos anymore. 4 door, boring green on green. Not running at the moment while I figure out what appears to be L-Jetronic. Got spark, fuel pressure and compression, injectors not injecting. Engine starts on injected WD40.
Body and interior minty-mint. This car has metal in places where my 325 doesn't have places. Super strong, there really is *no* rust. Interesting little chrome bumpers.
Rear drum brakes, green interior, only RealOEM recognizes parts I need for injection and brakes.
Should I:
1/ Swap the 325iS motor (including Motronic 1.3 and LS diff) into the 320i and part out the leather interior, OBC and uncracked dash etc. ? >>Thus, Sleeper 320i.
1b/ As in 1a, and sell a rolling 325 chassis sans motor?
2/ Sell the 320 and use the money to get more welding done on the 325iS, beyond the floor and rear shock tower that I had done last year?
3/ Sell the 325iS as is, sadly wave goodbye to a very cool but dangerously weak car?

Intended use is to have a fun to drive, semi-to-mostly reliable weekend car.

All opinions considered, please advise.

SD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2xFrontweblarge.JPG (70.3 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg 2xWeblarge.JPG (73.7 KB, 238 views)
SubDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: