Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-26-2011, 04:29 PM   #61
Bimmerized
In BMW We Trust!

Send a message via MSN to Bimmerized
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruben7 View Post
Ahh yes, the good old "running the new wire" method lol. I was hoping the simpler method in this thread would work but I guess not

Let me know how it goes once you give it a shot, and what tools/parts you need.

PS: Do you also have the 3 red/green wires as opposed to 5?
I never even bothered to check for that method....according to all the threads and info in here i just figured pre 95's are wired differently...but once I get to it I will check and let u know!
Bimmerized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:04 AM   #62
Bimmerized
In BMW We Trust!

I checked it and I don't have the 5 wires either, I just have the 3....anyhow I went with the other method and it was very simple, same as it is laid out on the write up.
Literally just open the fuse box and find wire 86 (green/red....there is only one green/red and it's thinner than the rest of the wires) under the low beam relay, cut it but leave it longer on the relay end (so pin 86) and here is where you attach a wire and run it through the firewall inside the car, and just attach it to the yellow wire coming from the lights switch (there is only one yellow wire there, you don't cut this wire just strip it and attach the new wire that you ran from the relay), and it works perfect.

Last edited by Bimmerized; 04-27-2011 at 02:08 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:43 PM   #63
ruben7
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerized View Post
I checked it and I don't have the 5 wires either, I just have the 3....anyhow I went with the other method and it was very simple, same as it is laid out on the write up.
Literally just open the fuse box and find wire 86 (green/red....there is only one green/red and it's thinner than the rest of the wires) under the low beam relay, cut it but leave it longer on the relay end (so pin 86) and here is where you attach a wire and run it through the firewall inside the car, and just attach it to the yellow wire coming from the lights switch (there is only one yellow wire there, you don't cut this wire just strip it and attach the new wire that you ran from the relay), and it works perfect.
Sweet, gonna do that this weekend

Are the dash lights also off on switch position 0? Can I use any extra wire I have at home or is there some specific type, and was duct tape fine to cover the connection?
ruben7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:49 PM   #64
Bimmerized
In BMW We Trust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruben7 View Post
Sweet, gonna do that this weekend

Are the dash lights also off on switch position 0? Can I use any extra wire I have at home or is there some specific type, and was duct tape fine to cover the connection?
The dash and corners remain always on, the only thing that turns off is the low beams, which is what I wanted cus I have HID's, but that's the bummer part about this I guess!

I soldered and heat shrank everything .

You should not use duct tape in any electrical connections , but it's up to you, electrical tape is cheap.
Good luck, let me know how it turns out!
Old 04-27-2011, 02:11 PM   #65
ruben7
1st Gear Newbie

Yeah I meant electrical tape. And nooooooooooo....I hate the corners.. T.T no way to shut them down?
Old 04-28-2011, 02:04 PM   #66
ruben7
1st Gear Newbie

Here's how to get rid of the corner daytimes.

1. Remove turn signal bulb.
2. Grab a piece of electrical tape and cover one of the metal connectors of the bulb (one is for the daytime and the other is just for flashing)
3. If it doesn't work it's because you covered the wrong connector, try covering the other one.
http://i52.tinypic.com/2086tef.jpg

Works good , credit goes to Vander @ bimmerfest

Bimmerized, where did you buy the wire for your connection? Is there any specific type?
Old 08-27-2013, 12:09 AM   #67
Owner of a Slow Car

After eight hours spent poring over the ETM for my 93 I've managed to undo the extra wiring BMW put in to hardwire the DRL's. I took a bunch of pictures so I'll probably post a DIY in the next few days. It's a similar solution to the one the OP did.
153624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #68
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Quote:
Originally Posted by 153624 View Post
After eight hours spent poring over the ETM for my 93 I've managed to undo the extra wiring BMW put in to hardwire the DRL's. I took a bunch of pictures so I'll probably post a DIY in the next few days. It's a similar solution to the one the OP did.
Nice, please post it up!

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #69
Owner of a Slow Car

Posted! Hope it helps someone.
153624 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread