Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 11:19 PM   #1
DYMO
JDM soul

how does one become a BMW tech?

sup guys.

doing my AST apprenticeship right now, and im wondering how one becomes one of those certified BMW techs/mechanics?

i've seen courses for Ford and Toyota and Crappy tire (lol) but havent seen the option for BMW

Last edited by DYMO; 11-11-2010 at 11:35 PM.
DYMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:29 PM   #2
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Might be something on BMW's website, or check at the dealerships.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:39 AM   #3
blk3
4th Gear Member

maybe its something you can find out at the dealer. you can talk with a service advisor or even a tech. im sure they would be willing to help you out
Old 11-12-2010, 08:12 AM   #4
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

http://www.bmwstep.com/

seems BMW north America uses a traing program called "step" for tech's, here is the website but its all US based, there are job posting in Canada listed, by individual dealerships, so looks like you have to get into a dealer first
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:18 PM   #5
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
^^^

Unless you're willing to move to the US to do the bmw step program there then it's not really worth it. Theres no BMW factory tech training in Canada AFAIK

Best/easiest way IMO is try to get into a BMW dealership, start as the shop "bitch" and register as an apprentice with them, once that's done you will have to log/complete your hours while going to school/working. Once you get your hours and complete the final test you'll be a licensed auto tech that's only been working on BMWs. Close enough.

i'm sure I missed out some finer details about the process so somebody else can chime in.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:37 PM   #6
RMPMOTORS
MaXsponsor

In Canada, you would have to be working @ a BMW dealer to be sent to FACTORY BMW training as I did while I was working for BMW. They have a factory training facility @ BMW Canada.

So basically to become a BMW trained tech you would have to first get into a BMW dealer, then its up to the service manager to send you for training if they want.

Or you could get a job @ a good indipendant shop that works on BMWs and learn about them.

Eibach-Koni-Bilstein-H&R-Powerflex-KW Suspension-OEM Parts+ MORE
EUROPEAN AUTO SERVICE & PERFORMANCE

www.RMPMOTORS.com

www.Facebook.com/RMPMotors
RMPMOTORS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:24 PM   #7
BmW1819
6th Gear Member

that's it the only way is to work at the dealer and they send u to courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMPMOTORS View Post
In Canada, you would have to be working @ a BMW dealer to be sent to FACTORY BMW training as I did while I was working for BMW. They have a factory training facility @ BMW Canada.

So basically to become a BMW trained tech you would have to first get into a BMW dealer, then its up to the service manager to send you for training if they want.

Or you could get a job @ a good indipendant shop that works on BMWs and learn about them.

BmW1819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:43 AM   #8
DYMO
JDM soul

thanks for the replies .
its so hard to find a place that will take on an apprentice, let alone one that specializes in bmw's... i got lucky getting in on my apprenticeship where i am now, so im hesitent to leave unless i somehow find a specialty shop thats willing to take me on. you guysknow anyone hiring? rocco? :5
DYMO is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: