Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-05-2009, 06:09 PM   #1
spoony_prelude
Eurowerke

Overheating issue!

Ok guys, now before I start Please do not reply with a Take it to "shop name" As I have been to two shops, and the prob continues.

Ok, So long story short, right before my car went into the body shop, I broke the plastic clip that holds the throttle wire on the throttle body ( removed accelerator stop/carpets in order to repair car floor) So I went to euroguy, and he got me another throttle body. I put it in bled the cooling system, and everything was good. A few days later I go to start up the car, and all I got was a Cloud and a half of white smoke from the exhaust. The more I drove it, the less smoke came out, but everytime i would start the car cold, it would always smoke. Also the car's temperature would rise quite a bit.

After I got the car back from the bodyshop the smoke stopped, but the overheating coninuted. So I figured Prob the thermostat. Changed it. overheating stopped for a little while. So now that I've been driving the car more, I noticed, When I'm idling, the temp rises. As soon as I start driving the cars temp goes back to fine.

Long weekend for ex, sat night we went to niagra falls, No probs. Sunday night we cruised up to wasaga. Again, running perfectly.

One night car started overheating, pulled over let it cool down, then took it to a friend who works at a 24hour truck shop. He pulled the dip stick out, and we saw what looked like coolant. He used his laser temp reader. rad showed 170degrees F, Motor was showing 222F

Took it to known reputable shop. He said all he found was the electric fan was not coming on. Changed the Aux fan switch, and said it was fine and that I could now let the car idle for hours and the cars temp would not rise. I asked if it could be the head gasket, he said highly unlikly as the cars running well, no smoke from the exhaust. But also told me it could be on its way out. ok. Drove it home, np. Later on that night went out, same shit! back to over heating!

Took it to another reputable shop on monday. He said my Water pump bearing was starting to get tougher then normal, so changed the water pump, did a coolant flush, oil change. Found no coolant in the oil. Also found small pieces of rubber from my coolant resorvoir. but said car was ok. But, it continued to do it.

So 2 nights ago, I thought maybe the thermostat by some chance is ****ed. I took it out, bled the system. let the car idle for like 20-25mins. Fan would come on when needed. temp stayed perfect! so later on that night, drove up to my chicks house. No probs. Turned it off outside of her house because she was going to take a few mins. when i turned it on again, temp was at 3/4mark. It fluctuates from 3/4 to hot, stays at hot for like 10seconds, back to 3/4. and it just goes back anf fourth.

Please help
Jay
Old 06-05-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Ever wondered if it's just the coolant temp sensor? I know the bentley manual suggests a few tests to test what the overheating problem could be (starting with a faulty signal/coolant gauge).

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
spoony_prelude
Eurowerke

Nah, when i took the car to my friends shop, he used his laser temp reader, and it showed 176 on the aux fan switch, and 220 on the thermostat housing itself.

Thanks for the thought though!

Jay
Old 06-05-2009, 10:08 PM   #4
Vander
2nd Gear Member

have you had them check the flow rate of the coolant through the system? If it is being partially blocked somehow . . . maybe with those bit of pieces of rubber you mentioned it wouldn't cycle through efficiently

I'm not a mechanic and I'm out of my element here but just a thought
Vander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:52 PM   #5
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
eek...do you think this must have been because of the engine swap?

Helprace, a helpdesk & community platform
BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:03 PM   #6
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

double check and make sure you bled the system thoroughly. Put heat on full and open the cap and fill it till it over flows. rev the motor up for the motor to either force out the air or suck the coolant in. when all air is out completely you should get no bubbling at all.
Also check your fan clutch.

Sounds to me you still have a vapor lock.

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:11 PM   #7
ACS_DAN
16/F/Cali

Send a message via MSN to ACS_DAN
If you suspect a Headgasket, get a leakdown test done, that should definitely help you in determining if it is the headgasket is done.

I can't remember if you have an s52 or an M52 and I can't remember if the s52 is made from aluminum like the m52 but aluminum is much more sensitive to heat so it would be in your best interest to keep the driving to a minimum until you get that sorted out.

Good luck! and Hope everything works out for you.

95 530i|Modifications - Work.
ACS_DAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:29 PM   #8
dbworld4k
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceeker View Post
double check and make sure you bled the system thoroughly. Put heat on full and open the cap and fill it till it over flows. Rev the motor up for the motor to either force out the air or suck the coolant in. When all air is out completely you should get no bubbling at all.

+1.

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:25 PM   #9
magnus
6th Gear Member

All the below is assuming the smoke from your exhaust is not black or blue bad white!
Did you check the condition of your oil and coolant? Is it possible you have a gasket problem? If oil is brown and kind of soapy then i am afraid its gasket.

Also make sure the thermostat opens and your fan is ok.Viscous couplings on BMWs are shit and very easy to see if they failed.
First however check as the others above mentioned if you are getting hot air when you switch on the heating.

Worst case scenario is a crack on either the block or head.

###EDIT###
Just noticed that you said your friend found cooland on the dipstic plus usually on BMWs when the gasket goes the temp gauge usually goes really high really quick when you started even if its cold. Hence I am afraid you need to take the head off. Most likely you have a gasket problem and dont use the car as you will warp the head.
I am 99% certain it is your gasket and i higly recommend you do not drive the car!!!!!!!!!!!
On a plus side you can do some flowing and lap the valves while doing this and you ll gain some performance!!!!!

"Lo there do I see my father.
Lo there do I see my mother.
Lo there do I see my brothers and my sisters.
Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning.
Lo they do call to me
they bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
where the brave may live forever"

Last edited by magnus; 06-07-2009 at 04:39 PM.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:16 PM   #10
spoony_prelude
Eurowerke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceeker View Post
double check and make sure you bled the system thoroughly. Put heat on full and open the cap and fill it till it over flows. rev the motor up for the motor to either force out the air or suck the coolant in. when all air is out completely you should get no bubbling at all.

You Win! Thanks for all the help guys!

Well after I posted this I was talking to Racing_Trends, and he suggested maybe the cooling system wasnt properly bled. So I checked google, and a thread to bimmerforums came up made by a BMW tech.

Said to lift front of car so that the coolant reservoir was higher then the engine, fill reservoir, run engine, when engine gets to normal temp, rev to 2500rpm for a min, top up coolant, repeat. I could see the bubbles come out, and see when the coolant dropped (thermostat opens). I continued to top up. So far drove it quite a bit friday night, sat night. And so far engine temp has been perfect!!!

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions!

Jay
Old 06-08-2009, 04:52 AM   #11
magnus
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoony_prelude View Post
You Win! Thanks for all the help guys!

Well after I posted this I was talking to Racing_Trends, and he suggested maybe the cooling system wasnt properly bled. So I checked google, and a thread to bimmerforums came up made by a BMW tech.

Said to lift front of car so that the coolant reservoir was higher then the engine, fill reservoir, run engine, when engine gets to normal temp, rev to 2500rpm for a min, top up coolant, repeat. I could see the bubbles come out, and see when the coolant dropped (thermostat opens). I continued to top up. So far drove it quite a bit friday night, sat night. And so far engine temp has been perfect!!!

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions!

Jay
Its good that you fixed it but i think there must be some gasket issue. Otherwise i dont see how you would get water in your oil.
In any case fingers crossed it will be ok! If it shows up again though i really think its your gasket!!!!

Lo they do call to me
Old 06-08-2009, 06:41 PM   #12
spoony_prelude
Eurowerke

^^^ Yeah it's wierd. I had the second shop I went to change the oil. And they said they didnt find any coolant in there. Which left me thinking wtf, I could have sworn I saw coolant in there!?!? Fingers are defenatly crossed!

Thanks for the tips guys!
Jay
Old 06-09-2009, 05:02 AM   #13
magnus
6th Gear Member

Just to be sure why dont you do a compresion test to see if you do have any leaks inside the bore. Make sure you keep your radiator open so if there is any it will show up as bubbles there!
On the other hand if its running fine now why bother?
I am just concern that if it is the gasket or head the damage will get worst.
I ma sory if i am being pushy or giving you the wrong vibe. Its just that i ve been there and it cost me a head a few years ago !

Lo they do call to me

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: