Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-18-2009, 01:38 AM   #16
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Cool write up. Some concerns/questions:

1) The DRL removal in this manner does not take care of not being able to turn off interior/dash lights/tail lights with headlight switch on position 0 (should be like this no?)

2) The fogs with high fix - Will the foglight switch button still do anything, or does doing the mod you suggested turn the foglights on anytime the headlight switch is in position 1 or 2?

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Last edited by Dr. Flyview; 05-18-2009 at 01:43 AM.
Dr. Flyview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:10 AM   #17
Nick_ll
1st Gear Newbie

While this manner of removing the DRL's is fine I believe, I have found looking at the wiring diagrams that there's something much, much more simple.
I don't know if this would work for the 92's with the orange relays near the strut towers, but it sure does on 93-94-95 e36's.

So, when you compare headlight wiring diagrams between 94 and say 97, the only possible thing you can spot in there that would cause the low beams to stay on all the time is a green/red wire that bypasses the headlight switch.

And here comes the nice part: it connects under the dashboard left side, in the splice panel above the kick panel.
And then better yet! There's only one splice with this wire color, and there are only 4 wires on it:
- hot
- left headlight
- right headlight
- park lights

If you disconnect all of them, everything stops going on with the key and works as it should with the switch.

And then let's pretend you have bought angel eyes and want to use them as DRL's. You only have to get a wire through the fuse box using the procedure described earlier in this topic, and connect it on the splice panel in place of the green/red wire, and they will light up like your low beams used to.
Nick_ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:16 PM   #18
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_ll View Post
While this manner of removing the DRL's is fine I believe, I have found looking at the wiring diagrams that there's something much, much more simple.
I don't know if this would work for the 92's with the orange relays near the strut towers, but it sure does on 93-94-95 e36's.

So, when you compare headlight wiring diagrams between 94 and say 97, the only possible thing you can spot in there that would cause the low beams to stay on all the time is a green/red wire that bypasses the headlight switch.

And here comes the nice part: it connects under the dashboard left side, in the splice panel above the kick panel.
And then better yet! There's only one splice with this wire color, and there are only 4 wires on it:
- hot
- left headlight
- right headlight
- park lights

If you disconnect all of them, everything stops going on with the key and works as it should with the switch.

And then let's pretend you have bought angel eyes and want to use them as DRL's. You only have to get a wire through the fuse box using the procedure described earlier in this topic, and connect it on the splice panel in place of the green/red wire, and they will light up like your low beams used to.
Have you tried it?? Pics/writeup please!!! I have my lowbeam HIDs connected to my high beam power/switch right now so I can turn them off...

What about the interior lights? These should also be off on position 0 afaik.

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
sold

Old 05-27-2009, 10:06 PM   #19
Nick_ll
1st Gear Newbie

Yes the interior lights are hard wired to the parking lights.

I'll try to post a writeup soon about that. When I'll have time to take pics I'll do it.
Nick_ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:33 AM   #20
carjoe
6th Gear Member

Awesome. I just ordered new headlights with HID's and was just thinking I needed to do something about the DRL's.

Let me know how it goes. I won't get to try this until the weekend and even then I may not since doing the brakes take precedence over lights...

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 06:28 PM   #21
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Hey Nick, any updates?? Have you tried it yet?

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
sold

Old 07-11-2009, 08:51 PM   #22
sthomas
BMWCC 4928, BMWCCA 349578

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flav_cool View Post
Cool write up. Some concerns/questions:
2) The fogs with high fix - Will the foglight switch button still do anything, or does doing the mod you suggested turn the foglights on anytime the headlight switch is in position 1 or 2?
Fogs and highbeams continue to operate from their respective switches. They are just no longer linked - so you can run highbeam and fogs at the same time.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:11 PM   #23
minh12
1st Gear Newbie

is there a shop that can do this for you?
minh12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:12 PM   #24
ClayMan
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Flyview View Post
Hey Nick, any updates?? Have you tried it yet?
Indeed, has anyone tried Nick's method? Does it also "fix" the interior lights?
ClayMan is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: